WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a Seiko kick since I purchased my SRP637 Monster. Looking to expand the Seiko line and pick up an SKX009. Just not sure which model to get.

SKX009K2 or SKX009KD? Straight of the bat, I know the difference is that the KD version is the Japan version. But I also read somewhere from an Amazon reviewer that the KD had a bluish tint on the dial? This seems interesting. Can someone confirm this? The reviewer mention that it seems black but when sunlight hits it, it has some blue's in it. Also, is the Japan version more sought after?

There is also another version, the SKX175, which I believe has the Malaysia mov't? I think this was also meant for the Northern American market? Basically only difference is that this 175 version came with a 3yr warranty?

If someone can school me, I'd appreciate it.

One other note... I have 7 1/2" wrists. I'm accustom to getting watches in the 43mm and up range. The SRP637 sits about right on my wrist as an example. That said, do you think the SKX009 would be small for me? Should I just skip the SKX and perhaps go with the SRP779K1 when they are readily available?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
323 Posts
While I'm not 100%, I believe it's the difference between a jubilee bracelet vs. Divers strap. As mentioned, the J series is made in Japan while the K series is the international version.

With regards to the blueish tint, are they confused between the 007&009? 007 a black dial vs the 009 with a very dark navy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I'm not 100%, I believe it's the difference between a jubilee bracelet vs. Divers strap. As mentioned, the J series is made in Japan while the K series is the international version.

With regards to the blueish tint, are they confused between the 007&009? 007 a black dial vs the 009 with a very dark navy.
I'm not sure... From my research, this is what I was able to come up with. Now, this is based on what Amazon has on their description. So, I'm not sure if its true or not.

First pic is the SKX009KD, supposedly the Japan version. Below, you'll see that it has no mov't markings
skx009kd_zps6cokdorz.jpg

Second pic, is the SKX009K2, International version. Notice the mov't markings are just numbers.
skx009k2_zpshzg0xgn5.jpg

Third pic, is the SKX176, supposedly the North American version (3yr warranty). Notice the Malaysia mov't.
skx175_zpszcjzkygs.jpg

Lastly, the SKX009K1, similar to the K2 version but in a rubber strap. Again, the mov't marking are just numbers.
SKX009K1_zpsjapop0u5.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think that's the Japan version. It's missing the "Made in Japan" and "21 Jewels" printed on the dial.

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
I'm not sure what the KD version is but the J is the Japan version and the K is the international one. As for colour it may just be a trick of the light as I thought all 009s were the same.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are right... There is actually a fourth version the SKX009J... 21 Jewels Made in Japan. So confusing. I'm guessing they are all the same other than markings on the face. At least this is what everyone is saying in the interwebs. :)

And as one pointed out in the comparison video, the Japan version has a slight edge in case finish.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
From what I understand, the KD is the "reimport" model that was made outside Japan and shipped to Japanese sellers. I have not seen any convincing evidence that the J models are any better than the non-J aside from normal production variances, or that they are even indeed made in Japan (it's an old and very long debate...). Naturally people will pay more for something and it seems better, so I wouldn't put too much weight in a random youtube review :)

I'm not sure... From my research, this is what I was able to come up with. Now, this is based on what Amazon has on their description. So, I'm not sure if its true or not.

First pic is the SKX009KD, supposedly the Japan version. Below, you'll see that it has no mov't markings
View attachment 6881338
I've seen that stock pic thrown around on amazon, it looks to be heavily modified because there should be movement markings and the dial/bezel looks entirely black. The dial looks quite dark in real life, but not that dark and the bezel is certainly navy as well. Funny thing is that pic has a misaligned chapter ring if you look at the 12 marker

I can't find the thread in my browsing history, but there was a post where someone took out the dials and compared the colors of the J and K 007 and 009

EDIT: found the link! Difference between skx009J and skx009K? - Page 2

Reactions: 2euro

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had both. The for Japan model's blue dia,l had a different tint to it. Perhaps just the one I had or not. I put Dagaz dials, hands, bezel on the U.S. Model. I think the Seiko bezel makes it wear small for 42mm. The Dagaz upgrade makes it wear larger, at least aesthetically. I like the fit of the original better. The Japanese version did not come with jubilee bracelet, so I bought one here on WUS from another member. Those jubilees are some of the most comfortable bracelets you can get without moving up 10x the price. I just with you could get solid end links for it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No matter which one you get it should be a "Keeper" for your collection. I bought a 009 and a Black Monster 10 years ago and still have them, and plan to for ever. They are an anchor for my collection and I wear them on occasion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The SKX009J is the Japan made version. It actually says made in Japan on the bottom of the dial near 6 O'clock. All the SKX009K's are made in Malaysia and only list the movement on the dial at 6 O'clock. I just bought an SKX009J from skywatches. Got it a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A little thread revival. I ended up getting the SKX007. Can be found here

Have some plans for this watch. :)

As it sits now. Moded with the SNK809 movement and a blue lollipop second hand. More mods to come.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts