WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on a Sky Dweller to play with. I have been wanting to for a while. I didn't always care for the fluted bezel watches from Rolex, but the 9001 movement complications is what got me attracted to this watch. I like it in the white, love it in the rose, wish it came in stainless-maybe I could afford one. I've been staring at my explorer ii wishing it were more...Any way it is really a neat watch, I have heard some detractors on the look and style. I was curious what some of your takes on the sky dweller is.

I shared a few more thoughts here for anyone interested: Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sky-Dweller | How to be Swell

·
4,401 Posts
I think it's a facinating watch. The price, however, makes it completely out of reach.

Reactions: How to be Swell

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
This is a perfect example of, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
I think it's one of the most ugly watches Rolex have made, sorry. :rodekaart

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. If it came in stainless I would not trade in my explorer 2 for one
yeah i am with you there, i would prune a few from my collection to acquire this

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
I like everything about the Sky-Dweller except the size. By Rolex standards, it is gargantuan ... and an obvious effort by them to appeal to the Wrist Frisbee Mania. Rolex does so many things right nowadays, things that other watch companies owned by impersonal conglomerates no longer seem to care about. But this need to offer oversized watches is not well thought out.

If the Sky-Dweller had been offered in 39mm, I would have sold everything else I had just to buy one.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I wouldn't have one as a gift. It looks like the sort of fare one might see peddled by an African gentleman on a Canary Island promenade.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I wouldn't have one as a gift. It looks like the sort of fare one might see peddled by an African gentleman on a Canary Island promenade.

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
....exactly. :-d

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like everything about the Sky-Dweller except the size. By Rolex standards, it is gargantuan ... and an obvious effort by them to appeal to the Wrist Frisbee Mania. Rolex does so many things right nowadays, things that other watch companies owned by impersonal conglomerates no longer seem to care about. But this need to offer oversized watches is not well thought out.

If the Sky-Dweller had been offered in 39mm, I would have sold everything else I had just to buy one.
It is awefuly big, I'll give you that. To me the size seemed a little justified by the complications and the busy dial, but I would prefer something smaller than 40mm as well.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I like how the month is displayed compared to other annual calendars. But that fully exposed GMT wheel makes the dial way too busy and that Red GMT indicator is just too casual for the watch.

Hide most of the GMT wheel behind the dial, replace or remove the red gmt indicator with something nicer, shrink it down to 40mm and we have a winner.

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
It is awefuly big, I'll give you that. To me the size seemed a little justified by the complications and the busy dial, but I would prefer something smaller than 40mm as well.
The cal. 9001 is too big at ø33mm x 8mm in height ... perhaps the result of poor design parameters (because there are great examples of annual calendars and GMT complications that are much smaller, including Omega's co-axial versions). Regardless, it still is only slightly larger than the 30.5mm x 6.5mm cal. 4130. If it could go in a case the same size as the Daytona, that would be a great improvement. Even better, they could send the cal. 9001 back to the drawing board and challenge their movement designers to make it smaller. In that case, I would agree with others here in suggesting a traditional GMT hand with an internal 24-hour track (like the AT GMT).

Reactions: How to be Swell

·
Registered
387 Posts
same...i was ashamed at my reaction in the boutique. i had to remove myself from the store when i almost shouted at the cabinet. its the $50k version of the plastic rapper watches you buy on canal st for $50. so horrible. IMHO - i struggle to see rolex ever making a decent looking watch again based on their size / bling trend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me it is much more about the movement, than the look. There are more attractive watches a plenty, but I would love to have something with that caliber in it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts