WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As title, anybody can give me advice how to choose? Based on outlook, movement and usability? Thx

Stargate:
SKZ323 is black dial
SKZ325 is white dial (hope it's correct)
SKZ329 is black in dial, case, and bracelet. So I called in "All-in-black"

Spork:
SRP043k1 is black dial with bracelet version.

My preference is SRP043k1 or SKZ329. Hard to choose...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: SKZ323/325/329 vs SRP043k1 (Spork)

SRP043K1 is really big, nice and comfortable to wear. This model is originally I am going for it. But SKZ329 is all-in-black version, it is also very nice, unqiue and I can get a special price offer. SKZ329 is the latest model. Not sure they are using same or different movement and which movement can run more accurate...
It is really hard to choose. Please help!

P.S. I can get the offer in HK at around USD250 for either SPORK and SKZ329 in AD with 1 year worldwide warranty. Not sure this price is attractive by compare with other countries.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Spork is a better all around watch in my opinion but that seiko Stargate is a real looker (I have skz323) and it dresses up better than the Spork.

Spork is a more handsome, masculine looking watch and has a movement with apprx 12+ hours more power reserve than tha Stargate. Spork easily wins the bracelet battle as the Stargate bracelet is little clanky sounding (in comparsion) and there is about a 1mm+ gap between the top of Stragate lugs and the top of the endlinks. It almost makes the bracelet look aftermarket (IMO). The lume also appears to be bigger and better on the Spork.

But the Stargate is really nice and unlike other watches, it does win some battles for wrist time against the Spork. It's a great office watch but yet still looks good with jeans too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey ky70,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, you convince me to get Spork, but in fact you got Stargate from your heart. You made me more confuse now!!!:-d Do you have both?

Does it mean both models are great?

For the Stargate, which model you have (all-in-black, white dial or normal black dial)? For me, if I go for it, I will consider all-in-black is first priority and second will be white dial. This white dial is uncommon in SEIKO Diver watch lines recently and quite unique.
Any photos?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

In fact, I prefers Spork rather than Stargate due to its more classic look. So now I know Spork has higher power reserve hours than Stargate, it get +1 point.

I consider Stargate it is because the salesman can give me higher discount on the unique "All-in-black" Stargate model (with black bracelet). This model is higher price (+USD70) than normal Stargate. As I mentioned, both Spork and "All-in-black" Stargate are selling USD250 in HK. Which one is cheaper than in your country?

·
Registered
136 Posts

In fact, I prefers Spork rather than Stargate due to its more classic look. So now I know Spork has higher power reserve hours than Stargate, it get +1 point.

I consider Stargate it is because the salesman can give me higher discount on the unique "All-in-black" Stargate model (with black bracelet). This model is higher price (+USD70) than normal Stargate. As I mentioned, both Spork and "All-in-black" Stargate are selling USD250 in HK. Which one is cheaper than in your country?
Since you are on the fence with your choices, why not get both? IMO although they are divers, both are different animals. Personally I would go for the cheaper one first then when fund permits get the other one. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

I say go with the Stargate! If you can get it at a discounted price that's EVEN BETTER!! For the money, the Stargate is a hell of a deal! I don't personally like the looks of the Spork, first of all it looks IDENTICAL to the Sinn and it's a divers watch with an aviator dial??? WTF?? I don't understand that logic?

The Spork is an awesome diver's watch if you don't include the dial...... The case, bezel, and bracelet are extremely tough looking but then they (Seiko) go and put a pilot dial on it?:think:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,035 Posts

Spork, Spork, Spork, Did I mention get a Spork. I like both but I just got my Spork Saturday. Photos to come soon. It was accurate yesterday to within 1 second. |>|> That competes and / or is better than most autos costing thousands more. b-)

·
Registered
182 Posts

I couldn't choose, so I just bought both of them. Although they are both divers, they are both very different in many regards. I have the black Stargate with the red minute hand and red crown ring accent. skz325k1

From a comfort standpoint, I'd have to say that the Stargate feels more comfortable on my wrist due to the shape of the curved lugs and contoured shape of the case. It hugs my wrist and does not slide up or down as much as my Spork on leather. As stated earlier, the metal band is a bit clankity sounding, but it does the job nonetheless. My Spork originally came with a rubber band but I changed it to a Di-Modell Pilot strap so I cannot give you a direct comparison of the 2 bracelets. In terms of height, the Spork wears higher on the wrist than the Stargate.

Looking at the crystals, you can see that the Spork has a flat crystal, whereas the Stargate is mated to one of the domed variety. I find that the domed crystal of the Stargate makes it a bit more difficult to read vs the Spork because of more reflections. Being domed, it may also be more prone to scratches, bumps and nicks. With that being said, I usually wear the Stargate with a long sleeve shirt to give me a bit of extra protection. Will someone please make a sapphire crystal mod for the Stargate?!!

Both have drilled lugs, which make it easier to change bands/bracelets. Be warned that the bracelet on the Stargate was of the pin and collar variety so be careful not to lose those pesky little collars. One good thing of note is that each link has only one collar vs the 2 you would see on a Monster bracelet. The lug holes on the Stargate are closer to the end of the lug vs the Spork.

Lume wise, the Spork wins. But if you like to see the day and date, you're best to go with a Stargate.

Comparing accuracy, I think the Spork is a bit better and has a higher power reserve. I keep about 6 automatic watches in my rotation, so accuracy is not that important to me since I usually change up my watch every few days or depending on the days activities.

I bought both of my watches on Ebay and I've been very happy with both. The Spork was about $200 shipped from Singapore and the Stargate was about $240 to my door from somewhere in the USA.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts

I prefer the Stargate more than the Spork because at least the design elements from the Stargate are lifted from within Seiko's own divers. I could never warm up to the near identical look of the Spork to a Sinn.

Both watches are surely solid, but aesthetically, I personally would choose the Stargate!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Hey ky70,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, you convince me to get Spork, but in fact you got Stargate from your heart. You made me more confuse now!!!:-d Do you have both?

Does it mean both models are great?

For the Stargate, which model you have (all-in-black, white dial or normal black dial)? For me, if I go for it, I will consider all-in-black is first priority and second will be white dial. This white dial is uncommon in SEIKO Diver watch lines recently and quite unique.
Any photos?
Daniel, yes I do have both. I have the white dial stargate it is very attractive.

What I find in these debates about which is better between the Spork and Stargate is...
1. People who own the Stargate generally believe the Stargate is better
2. People who own the Spork generally believe the Spork is better
3. People who own both generally believe the Spork is better (including me).

My thought is that if you're seeking opinions on which watch most folks think is better, the folks in group 3 above have the best perspective as they have direct experience with both watches.

I do have a few pics of the both together...I'll post them when I get the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Daniel, yes I do have both. I have the white dial stargate it is very attractive.

What I find in these debates about which is better between the Spork and Stargate is...
1. People who own the Stargate generally believe the Stargate is better
2. People who own the Spork generally believe the Spork is better
3. People who own both generally believe the Spork is better (including me).

My thought is that if you're seeking opinions on which watch most folks think is better, the folks in group 3 above have the best perspective as they have direct experience with both watches.

I do have a few pics of the both together...I'll post them when I get the opportunity.
x2 ;-)

i guess i'd still want to throw in my opinion even if i belong to #2. i guess it's personal preference... would also want to share my thoughts on why i haven't bought the Stargate yet ;-)

in my part of the world, Sinn is a rare watch to see in the wild... closest AD would be in SGP if i'm not mistaken. so it really doesn't bug me much if it looks like a Sinn. so it's actually a good thing under the circumstances...;-) for some reason, i find the dial on the spork clean (i also don't mind not having a "day" function). easily can tell the time from a glance.

movement, i believe the 4R15 is better than the 7S which makes me wonder why they haven't put it in newer models like the Stargate?:think:

haven't really warmed up to the stargate mainly because of the lume pip... why oh why did they just make the bezel similar to existing ones?!? i also figured it's relatively new so it'll most probably be here for while. gives me time to get other divers first before the stargate :-d

sorry, if i seemed to rant... :)

here are a few pics of the my Spork...
on rubber when i first got it..

on stock ss bracelet i got afterwards (no Spork on SS bracelet when i got it)...

on notched 22mm strap...

on bond...

·
Registered
256 Posts

Hi,

It all boils down to how you want to wear the watch . . is it a daily beater or more of a dressy watch? If you want to wear it to work and do gardening and chores, the spork is the one to go for. If it is just for the weekend and to functions in the evening, e.g. dinner with family and friends, go for the PVD Stargate, as the outer coating, even though it is a tough coating, may and will scratch and it'll look . . not so nice after that. Especially the lume pip!

You could go to this link for the review of the two watches:

Seiko 4R15 Diver – SRP043K2 « Yeoman's Watch Review

Seiko 200m divers – SKZ323K, SKZ325K & SKZ327K « Yeoman's Watch Review

I have both the Spork and the 327 stargate. I liked the stargate so much that when I saw the rose gold version, I bought it too! I use my Spork for work and doing things around the house but wear the stargates for outings with family and friends. . . Hope that helps to firm up your decision making process.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts

I prefer the Stargate more than the Spork because at least the design elements from the Stargate are lifted from within Seiko's own divers. I could never warm up to the near identical look of the Spork to a Sinn.

Both watches are surely solid, but aesthetically, I personally would choose the Stargate!

From the aesthetic point of view, I too would choose the Stargate.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks for all you guys opinions. After all, I think I will buy SPORK first and very soon will get Stargate (PVD black). In fact, both watches with this price range are quite oustanding. If money is not a issue, should get both. Right!

I am now out of town. Once back to Hong Kong, I will look for one with cheaper price and post some pics here.

Cheers, Daniel

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

I finally got SPORK first yesterday. It is a really nice watch. See catching for me! The bracelet is confortable even the overall weight is a bit heavy, but no problem to me as I have DEEPSEA as well.

Pic with my SBDA005:

·
Registered
113 Posts

I finally got SPORK first yesterday. It is a really nice watch. See catching for me! The bracelet is confortable even the overall weight is a bit heavy, but no problem to me as I have DEEPSEA as well.

Pic with my SBDA005:
Can I ask where you got it and how much you paid in HKD? I am now also considering this one as well as the SKZ323 but I am still trying to gather info and compare prices...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts