WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I got this watch from my father.He has bought it 32 years ago,but he has used it less than an year.The watch has been kept in safe in a dark box for more than 30 years and it`s realy look like NOS.
I sent it for a maintainance and I am looking forward it.When I get it I will post some pics with the new leather strap.
Can you give me more information about this movement 2414?Is it relative precise for russian movement or is it relative precise for a movement at all?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Mitadoc,

It's a great idea to have the watch serviced; the lubricants inside would have failed during that three decades of just sitting there, so it would be starting with a clean slate; good for the watch indeed.

The Slava twin-barrel movement is a bit of an overkill: the two barrels are linked with an idler gear, which means both of them release their torque at the same time.

If I were to design a twin-barrel movement, I would let one barrel release the torque first. As the main spring winds down, the second barrel takes over, which would give nearly double the power reserve. Of course, to achieve this would involve extra mechanism. In fact, when LumTec announced their plan to use Slava movements for a limited number of watches, they said it would give an 80-hour power reserve. To me this suggests that LumTec was planning to modify the Slava movement to function as what I described, but this modification was never implemented: perhaps the inherent design of the movement does not allow for such a modification, but here I am speculating.

Nevertheless, the Slava movement can be regulated to a very high degree of accuracy. A friend has one (albeit a 2428, hand-wind with day and date) and she had it regulated to within two second in three weeks. Without using this as an ultimate goal, it is an indication that the 2414 is capable of a degree of accuracy that should be fully satisfactory.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think that the 2 barrels were use either to adjust the watch'es isochronism (which means it wouldn't loose accuracy so much as the spring unwinds) or to make the movement thinner and smaller as they couldn't fit a bigger barrel in. No matter what, Slava turned out to be accurate enough but expenisve (for the factory), complicated and much more vulnerable then other Russian movements (so look out for shocks - it won't like it). It's also visually not so good, IMO. I still like the movement, though. If youre careful, it will serve for many years.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh,mine is pretty one.As soon I get it from the watchmaker,I will post some images.
Thank you for the useful information about shock prevention.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some images of my Slava 2414 .Wonderfull watch I have to say-it is very accurate and runs with -8 seconds a day.

I would like to hear you comments.Thank you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Re: Slava 2414 - images of mine beauty

Hey I can only see the first two photos, and neither show the dial!

I inherited a Slava twin barrel from my grandfather. Another weak point of the watch is the automatic winding rotor. The oil seems to dry up and sieze the rotor if the watch isn't serviced regularly.

My grandfather's watch => https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/slava-27-jewels-424189.html

Commentary about the Favre Leuba movement the Slava twin barrel is probably based on => https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/new-1979-favre-leuba-original-box-receipt-431428.html#post3267494

Comparison of the Favre Leuba and Slava twin barrel movements => https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/new-1979-favre-leuba-original-box-receipt-431428.html#post3268736

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi,Niccolo,
Here you are fresh image of my gold Slava with the new mesh bracelet.
gold Slava 008.jpg

·
Registered
6,624 Posts

Mitadoc,

The mesh bracelet works well with it; gives it a classic and classy look. Sure it can be said as a little "dated" in appearance, but if I have to drive a Mercedes, I'd rather drive a fully-restored one from the 70s (if not earlier) than a brand new one!

So, did you get it serviced?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts