WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this really nice Slava watch, my first Russian watch, and replaced the battery with a new V301. Worked for awhile until I tightened up the screw holding the battery down. Loosen it and it would start again, so I tightened it again and it stop, but now it stays stopped. I wanted to remove the movement but need to now how to release the crown. Any help a this stage would be great. I am a new member and just started to collect some watches. At 66yo and retiring very soon, I needed a hobby to stay out of the wife's way beside being gone cruising in my Porsche.

DSCN2711.jpg

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Not sure but it looks as if it's held in by a little tab that is screwed into the case. Just inside the watch, that square opening...you see where I'm talking about?

Forget what I said....see that stuff down below that Paul posted...READ THAT! :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Sounds like a battery contact problem. Is there any corrosion on the terminals that the battery contacts? Another possibility is that the "on/off" contact is corroded or has some gunk on it. Most quartz movements include a switch that stops the watch when the crown is pulled out for setting (so that, for instance, you can restart the watch on the exact minute), and sometimes this gets dirt on it.

One other thing: when fiddling with quartz watches, it's very easy to accidentally short out the battery (ie, connect the positive and negative terminals with a screwdriver, or by letting both terminals touch the metal of the case or movement). With some battery types, this can drain the battery very very fast.

So, check the battery contacts; try pulling the stem out and then back in; try a new battery. If all of those fail, then probably the movement itself needs a clean, in which case [schnurrp] is the expert!

Oh, and welcome to your new hobby! Watchmaking is engrossing and addictive, and should keep you occupied for several decades to come.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks, I thought that by lifting the spring it would pull out and it did. looks like the rubber ring dissolved into a black tar substance. That was messy. Anyway, the movements out and I have cleaned up the pieces, now I am deciding when to take the movement apart. Of course I am in no big hurry. That's again.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
The "hook" end of the brass piece which holds the battery down is clipped into a groove around the side of the plastic sleeve, rather than being held down by the sleeve itself, or it would get shorted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts