WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was hoping for your opinions on the following:

It was my 30th birthday on January 3rd and my parents treated me to a really nice Seiko Arctura SNAC15P Alarm Chronograph. Great looking watch which retails for around £395.00.

I took it into a branch of H Samuel jewellers in London during my lunch break on Wednesday 5th January to get the bracelet resized.

I am an avid watch collector and usually do simple bracelet adjustments and battery changes myself but due to the price of this watch I thought I would take it to a professional.

I spoke to a lady in the store who told me it would be £10 to resize the bracelet. I said fine and she proceeded to do the necessary work. I watched her now and again in between browsing around the store.

When it was finished I tried it on and it fitted perfectly. She gave me a bag with the spare links and pins which I immediately put it my pocket along with the watch as I was wearing another timepiece that day. I paid and left.

It wasn't until I got home and looked closely at the bracelet that I noticed some scratches on the side of a couple of the links. Not really bad scratches or anything but scratches all the same. I also noticed that two of the pins that had been removed with the spare links were really bent and had plier teeth marks in them. They look useless to me now if I were to ever get the bracelet upsized in the future as they look too bent to go through the links.

This sort of thing bothers me. I am not the sort of person to shy away from a complaint and I originally decided to leave it as the scratches were minimal and I know I can get replacement pins in the future, but its been niggling at me and I've decided to go back to the store to at least get my £10 back and hopefully some replacement pins.

I just wanted to see what you guys would do in my situation. Its a brand new watch which is obviously going to pick up nicks and scratches over the years from day to day wear. What I don't like is taking it gleaming new into a professional jewellers for a simple re-size and getting a now slightly imperfect watch.

Can I just add that over the Christmas break I took another watch, a brand new Hamilton X-Wind (a gift from my girlfriend) to a branch of Ernest Jones for a resize. They did a perfect job, no scratches and the pins that have been removed with the links haven't got a mark on them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Well, first of all, happy birthday.

Second of all, I think you need to let this one go. Once you leave the store, they lose all accountability. There's no way they'll take responsibility after you've left.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If this is really bothering you, and you wouldn't be writing this if it wasn't, go back to the store. If H Samuel is a reputable dealer (and with 400 stores I would hope so) they will make it right. They should offer to buff out the scratches and replace the pins. Of course if they do nothing at least you tried. You also know never to go back there.

Good luck........

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a common thing and every time I read about a successful bracelet sizing from a jeweler, I am surprised.
This seems to be even worse with Seiko and their pin and collar system.
I finally broke down and acquired all the necessary tools for every type of bracelet sizing and hope to never have to go to a jeweler or anyone else to size a bracelet.

You can follow up in the hope of getting your money back and/or having them polish out the damage but I'd be hesitant to let them thouch the watch again. If the damage bothers you, replace the links yourself or the scratches are probably easily polished out by the products and techniques mentioned here and elsewhere on the net.

Most importantly, Happy Birthday! Enjoy that watch and many, many happy returns. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Repeat after me: Jewelery stores don't care about watches. Their salesmen are trained to sell gold and diamond engagement rings. That's where the money is, and that's what they're focused on. Watches are something they stock as a bonus. Like the candy next to the checkout counter at your grocery store. Next time, go to a watchmaker to get something like this done.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Repeat after me: Jewelery stores don't care about watches. Their salesmen are trained to sell gold and diamond engagement rings. That's where the money is, and that's what they're focused on. Watches are something they stock as a bonus. Like the candy next to the checkout counter at your grocery store. Next time, go to a watchmaker to get something like this done.
+1 or go to a Seiko AD next time. Their pin and collar system really is a pain in the a**.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I would take the watch back and see what they say. If you don't, you'll think about it every time you put the watch on.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Unfortunately, employees that work at the watch shops don't necessarily always know what they're doing. The scratches can be buffed/polished out, however, the shop that you took it to should do it for you free of charge. Talk directly to the manager and bypass the salesman. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I just wanted to see what you guys would do in my situation.
Size it myself.

But since it's too late to do that, you could bring it to a watchmaker and see if they could buff those scratches out for you.

Happy belated birthday!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the advice.

I've had a good think and I reckon the best thing to do would be to let it go. I've purchased a Cape Cod Polishing cloth so hopefully that'll buff the scratches out. They are very minimal on the side of the link next to the clasp but this sort of thing really p****s me off!

Unfortunately I am the sort of person who struggles to let poor customer service issues slide. I've lost count of the amount of times I've complained for poor service. It never makes any difference, occasionally I've received money back and or vouchers as compensation but most of the time its a waste of time. I had an argument with a dry cleaner once who had completely ignored my request to remove a belt from a trench coat before cleaning. The idiot didn't even read the care label so when I got the coat back, all the leather on the buckle of the belt had come off. I complained and got a refund but I was still left with a damaged coat.

I'll treat this as a learning curve. I took two cheap Nixon watches to an independent jeweler last year for a battery change. This battery change cost for £30 for two watches! Plus when removing the back of the watches he hadn't taken the greatest care and left a few scratches on the back. I went back, complained and got a refund. This experience lead me to purchase a watch repair kit off eBay with all the tools i'd need for future repairs/battery changes. I also looked into how much batteries were and they certainly weren't £30!!

I should have altered the bracelet myself but as I mentioned in my original post I thought as its a fairly expensive watch I'll take it to a professional. Never again!!

Thanks again and thanks for the birthday messages.

All the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts