WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the most interesting program Iv'e seen in ages. It investigates the evolution of clocks
into automata and beyond. It shows how the development of mechanical cams transformed
complications of clocks, automata , watches and eventually the industrial revolution.
The narration is clear, precise, easy to follow and beautifully photographed.
If you thought a triple register day date rattrapante watch had complications
You ain't seen nufink yet. :roll:
Chill out for an hour and watch this

BBC iPlayer - Mechanical Marvels: Clockwork Dreams

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Is this just Tapatalk or is the name of the show missing?

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
223 Posts
Reactions: kazrich

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it's just tapatalk.
The show is called ' Mechanical Marvels' and was repeated last night on BBC 4.
It can be seen on the BBC iplayer and should be watched full screen if poss.
The link should take you direct.
Richard

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds like it's just tapatalk.
The show is called ' Mechanical Marvels' and was repeated last night on BBC 4.
It can be seen on the BBC iplayer and should be watched full screen if poss.
The link should take you direct.
Richard
Doesn't seem to work for me. I'll check the BBC channel I get here and see. Youtube as well?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Watched it last night and was amazed what they made back then. That boy that wrote was just brilliant craftsmanship, must of took some working out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Watched it last night and was amazed what they made back then. That boy that wrote was just brilliant craftsmanship, must of took some working out.
And made by Pierre Jaquet Droz, who of course was the founder of the watch company that Swatch have revived that makes astonishing complications.

Like the Bird Repeater about half a dozen made and around $500k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJamzhuA1Jc

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Amazing video.Watched it with joy,thanks for sharing.How not to appreciate our little gears and wheels ticking in these cases and how not to be a mechanical watch enthusiast.

I thought if something happens to Droz' boy with which functions with 6,000 mechanical pieces,who would service that.I guess there are not more than finger count on hand people specialized in this kind of mechanisms.( remember, we call now 300-400 pieces chronographs,very complicated )

The Turk is funny,I heard that it beat also Bonaparte,nevertheless the guy playing inside the box should be genius also.

The video made me look in ebay for automatons:)

I know there is a ship wreck lying in the Indian Ocean en route Australia with a load of 'Maison Piguet et Meylan ' automatons and valuable watches ( sunk in 1811/12 some time ) ,maybe should start diving and earn my automaton.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Just watched it on youtube. Still wowed!

Thanks for this hint, Richard!

Best,
Andreas

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
I have seen this several times over the last couple of years, and still love to watch it.

Reactions: kazrich
1 - 13 of 13 Posts