WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what an Omega SM300 retailed for new in USD back in the 1960s? What did Rolex charge for a new comparable Submariner model at the same time?

·
Banned
713 Posts
Two balloons and a stick, would have bought you one of these beauties back in the day, if we only knew then how things would turn out.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
It is a stunning watch for sure Michael. Wouldn't mind one to compliment my PO.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This historical Rolex price list suggests a no date Sub retailed for $230 USD circa 1970.

Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex Price Evolution for Rolex Watches

Is there a similar online resource that contains historical Omega pricing?

I found this old Omega brochure online that appears to be circa 1969. The prices aren't in USD, but rather Swiss Francs. It appears a no date SM300 retailed for 380 Swiss Francs circa 1969? Unclear what it would have retailed for in the U.S. in 1969 however. Thoughts on what the no date SM300 would have retailed for in 1969 in the U.S.?

p1415.jpg

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this 1967 Italian Omega catalog. Looks like in 67 an SM300 retailed for 65,000 Lira in Italy? Anyone know that they cost around the same time in the U.S.?

p6.jpg

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A sub was about four hundred dollars and I'd guess the omega would be within ten per cent of that.
Found some vintage Rolex ads online that suggest the Sub was significantly less than $400.

Here's a 1964 Rolex Sub ad: retail $195 USD.

1964-Rolex-Submariner-Ad.jpg

By 1967, the Rolex Sub retailed for $210 USD.

1967-US-Navy-Submariner-Rolex-Ad.jpg

Then in 1968, the Sub retailed for $225 USD.

1968-Rolex-Submariner-ad.jpg

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
It looks like 1 US$ was worth 4.37 CHF in 1969. That means that the SM300 would have cost less than US$ 90 when the Rolex Sub was priced at US$ 230.

This historical Rolex price list suggests a no date Sub retailed for $230 USD circa 1970.

Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex Price Evolution for Rolex Watches

Is there a similar online resource that contains historical Omega pricing?

I found this old Omega brochure online that appears to be circa 1969. The prices aren't in USD, but rather Swiss Francs. It appears a no date SM300 retailed for 380 Swiss Francs circa 1969? Unclear what it would have retailed for in the U.S. in 1969 however. Thoughts on what the no date SM300 would have retailed for in 1969 in the U.S.?

View attachment 674146

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bow to your research! I did a google and a guy remembers paying four hundred in 1970, do you think he regrets that now?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The Seamaster 300 sold for US$180 in 1959:

There are a number of different ways to measure what the value of $180 from 1959. I use this website:

Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages, average wage

So depending on which method of comparison you want to use, you are looking at a range of $1,100 to about $5,300. One thing that this particular page doesn't take into account is the relative changes in the exchange rates between the US dollar and Swiss franc over the last 53 years. Back then, it took over 4 francs to purchase one dollar. Today, a dollar is worth about 90 Swiss centemes (Sfr. 0.90). That's a relative inflation factor of almost five times over the same period.

I take this to mean that if you really want to consider what the value of the Swiss labor it took to produce a Seamaster 300, you're looking at very wide range from a little over $5,000 to about $25,000. Due to other economic factors, such as more automation in current production, etc., I would guess more at the lower to middle end of this range.

So IMO, an equivalent watch in today's money should be somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000. What is the MSRP of a steel Planet Ocean nowadays?

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It looks like 1 US$ was worth 4.37 CHF in 1969. That means that the SM300 would have cost less than US$ 90 when the Rolex Sub was priced at US$ 230.
I'm not sure that a straight currency exhange From Francs circa 1969 would accurately reflect the retail price Omega set for the US market. The SM300 was $180 in 1959. Hard to believe it would have been 50% less in 1969.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I think it was still about $180, maybe a little bit less. In the 1950's there was a 10% federal luxury tax on watches that went away in the 1960's. I have seen ads for the Speedmaster chronograph at $195 from the late 1960's.

The US dollar was strong then and the market for mid-priced luxury watches very competitive. That would have tended to keep prices lower.

One thing you can't do is to convert from foreign ads back to US dollars at period prices. Different countries had (and still have) different tax and customs laws, which could have added or subtracted multiples of the converted price. For example, almost all European prices would have a national value added tax included, while a US MSRP on the same product would not have state sales taxes included.

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping this old thread. Has anyone ever found a late 1960s Omega Price Dealer price list for the United States authorized dealers?

If so, how much did the SM300 and Speedmaster retail for in the USA back in the late 1960s?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

there was another list from years back
but here is a fairly comprehensive list
problem is currency conversions from the time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts