WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a watch noob, so please go easy on me... I recently decided I wanted to start wearing a watch again (hadn't done so in 20yrs). I was drawn to field style for the simplicity and in general wanted a good, everyday wear kinda watch. I got a Seiko SRPG39 and I really like it! It'll be my everyday watch for regular activities but I realized that if I wear it ALL the time that its going to get trashed. I do a lot of construction/landscaping work at home as well as a lot of automotive mechanic type work on our cars. So, now I'm looking for a beater watch that's more suitable for these sorts of tasks. I was considering something like a G Shock but they're all pretty big and I think instead I want something small and THIN. And, in general I really like field/military watches that are simple and easy to read.

So, what would WUS recommend for my situation?
  • Looking for something small, definitely <40mm but 35-36mm is probably ideal
  • Looking for something thin. Thinner the better but definitely <10mm
  • Agnostic to brand but would prefer something with some pedigree and not just complete garbage
  • Titanium would be preferred due to it's durability and lightness but open to other options
  • Quartz or automatic is fine, no real preference here as the other factors are more important
  • Sapphire crystal would be awesome but that's probably a lot to ask at this price point. Durability here is something though that I think is important as it will see plenty of high wear situations.
  • Do not want a digital watch
  • Prefer a date window - not 100% mandatory but fairly important
  • Perfer 20mm strap so I can interchange with my other watch but not mandatory
  • Budget is ~$100 but in general the cheaper the better! I'd kinda prefer to buy used so I can get more for my $$. I've already seen a couple of the ones listed below on the forums here for around $100.

Watches I've already considered:
  • Bertucci - these seem like a great way to go but most are a bit chunky
  • Vaer S3 - this is probably top of my list at the moment, but the smaller ones don't have a date window
  • Timex Expedition
What else should I be considering here? Anything I'm not factoring in but should be?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm a watch noob, so please go easy on me... I recently decided I wanted to start wearing a watch again (hadn't done so in 20yrs). I was drawn to field style for the simplicity and in general wanted a good, everyday wear kinda watch. I got a Seiko SRPG39 and I really like it! It'll be my everyday watch for regular activities but I realized that if I wear it ALL the time that its going to get trashed. I do a lot of construction/landscaping work at home as well as a lot of automotive mechanic type work on our cars. So, now I'm looking for a beater watch that's more suitable for these sorts of tasks. I was considering something like a G Shock but they're all pretty big and I think instead I want something small and THIN. And, in general I really like field/military watches that are simple and easy to read.

So, what would WUS recommend for my situation?
  • Looking for something small, definitely <40mm but 35-36mm is probably ideal
  • Looking for something thin. Thinner the better but definitely <10mm
  • Agnostic to brand but would prefer something with some pedigree and not just complete garbage
  • Titanium would be preferred due to it's durability and lightness but open to other options
  • Quartz or automatic is fine, no real preference here as the other factors are more important
  • Sapphire crystal would be awesome but that's probably a lot to ask at this price point. Durability here is something though that I think is important as it will see plenty of high wear situations.
  • Do not want a digital watch
  • Prefer a date window - not 100% mandatory but fairly important
  • Perfer 20mm strap so I can interchange with my other watch but not mandatory
  • Budget is ~$100 but in general the cheaper the better! I'd kinda prefer to buy used so I can get more for my $$. I've already seen a couple of the ones listed below on the forums here for around $100.

Watches I've already considered:
  • Bertucci - these seem like a great way to go but most are a bit chunky
  • Vaer S3 - this is probably top of my list at the moment, but the smaller ones don't have a date window
  • Timex Expedition
What else should I be considering here? Anything I'm not factoring in but should be?
Thanks!
For a true beater that meets most of your other criteria, you already named it. The Timex Expedition would be my pick. (and it was because I've owned one for this purpose for almost 10 years!) put a decent aftermarket strap on it, and you're all set.
Watch Gesture Watch accessory Clock Analog watch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'll add that Lorus to my list - definitely a contender. I do also like those Casio Edifice but I think it's a bit larger than I'm looking for and I don't have any interested in a metal bracelet. Plus I'm looking for more of a field style.

For a true beater that meets most of your other criteria, you already named it. The Timex Expedition would be my pick. (and it was because I've owned one for this purpose for almost 10 years!) put a decent aftermarket strap on it, and you're all set.
View attachment 16117500
I think this one is climbing the list a bit. I was writing it off as just the cheapest and most ubiquitous but I suppose nothing wrong with that. Especially if I can just buy new for cheap right now rather than waiting for one of the more expensive ones to pop up in the for sale forum.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thanks! I'll add that Lorus to my list - definitely a contender. I do also like those Casio Edifice but I think it's a bit larger than I'm looking for and I don't have any interested in a metal bracelet. Plus I'm looking for more of a field style.

I think this one is climbing the list a bit. I was writing it off as just the cheapest and most ubiquitous but I suppose nothing wrong with that. Especially if I can just buy new for cheap right now rather than waiting for one of the more expensive ones to pop up in the for sale forum.
If you really want to use it as a beater, you want it to be cheap. I like this one because if you smash the crystal on a rock or drop it in a cement mixer you can just buy a new one for around $40, but it's still a classic model from a respected brand with a rich history. It's disposable without being junk.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You’re gonna laugh: Swatch. They’re relatively inexpensive, and you can beat the hell out of them….
They’re also (usually) right in your size range. Everything else (that hasn’t already been mentioned above) would probably be too big - otherwise I’d suggest a Victorinox or a Luminox

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Timex Expedition. Look no further.
You don't need to look further for a Timex Expedition becuase you can hear them from 2 rooms away. same with Swatch. Some people like it, some people tune it out, but if you value peace and quiet try something else.

(I have 2 Expeditions, and keep them stopped with the crown pulled out. Mine are also 40mm, too big really. I'd consider trading them for a newer Solar Expedition with an Epson movement, those look/sound promising)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boldr has some really nice titanium watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick look at the website and I think most of those will be out of my price range but I'll keep an eye out in the for sale forum. Thanks!

You don't need to look further for a Timex Expedition becuase you can hear them from 2 rooms away. same with Swatch. Some people like it, some people tune it out, but if you value peace and quiet try something else.

(I have 2 Expeditions, and keep them stopped with the crown pulled out. Mine are also 40mm, too big really. I'd consider trading them for a newer Solar Expedition with an Epson movement, those look/sound promising)
Yeah, the noise is definitely one of the peeves for me on the Timex.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I keep my watches in a watch box, so I never hear them.

For what it's worth, my Timex Weekender is loud. My Expedition is silent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Seriously, do I really need to point out the most obvious choice RE: the buyers criteria?

Seiko SNK series

A field watch? Most definitely. Small? Check. Brand with some pedigree? Heck yeah. Thin? Check. Date window? You betcha. Durable? The thing is almost bombproof. Fits into ~$100.- budget. Absolutely.

The only thing missing from making this a home run is the strap is 18mm, it’s brushed steel and not Ti and no sapphire. I don’t think the sapphire is anywhere near what the internets make it out to be as I wear mine in my factory job and even though the case has some marks the hardlex is still perfect.

Check out the SNK lineup OP, should definitely be on your shortlist. As a bonus, the thing is an absolute strap monster.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I keep my watches in a watch box, so I never hear them.

For what it's worth, my Timex Weekender is loud. My Expedition is silent.
That's good to know. I think the Expedition is definitely climbing the list.

Seriously, do I really need to point out the most obvious choice RE: the buyers criteria?

Seiko SNK series

A field watch? Most definitely. Small? Check. Brand with some pedigree? Heck yeah. Thin? Check. Date window? You betcha. Durable? The thing is almost bombproof. Fits into ~$100.- budget. Absolutely.

The only thing missing from making this a home run is the strap is 18mm, it's brushed steel and not Ti and no sapphire. I don't think the sapphire is anywhere near what the internets make it out to be as I wear mine in my factory job and even though the case has some marks the hardlex is still perfect.

Check out the SNK lineup OP, should definitely be on your shortlist. As a bonus, the thing is an absolute strap monster.
I've already considered the SNK but pretty much ruled it out but maybe I'll take another look if none of these others pan out. Mainly, just a little bigger than I want, especially thickness. I also don't really like the dial since the minute markers are more prominent than the hour markers. Lastly, I already have 2 Seiko's and kinda wanted to branch out a little to something different for this one.

I do very much appreciate the thoughts on the crystal though. Not having any personal experience here I wasn't sure how much of a big deal that would be.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ouch, this is a tough one. I had a look through some brands I could think of and couldn't find a home run.

I was initially thinking Citizen since they have some tough utilitarian field styles (like the PMD56 or Ray Mears Promaster) as well as Ti/Sapphire, but would unfortunately cost too much, even used.

But if it helps, saw this as a recommended thread in the links below: Help finding a budget quartz field/tool watch

1 - 20 of 61 Posts