WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

Does anybody recognize the 2 ligne backwind calibre in the attached photos?

It's signed JEWELWATCH, GENEVA. Remarkably it's imprinted with the Geneva Shield (see closeup photo)... i.e., observatory, Patek Philippe quality.

Questions:
- Can you tell me anything about JEWELWATCH, GENEVA?
- Do you recognize this 2 ligne backwind calibre?... I don't think it's a Jaeger-LeCoultre movement... So who else made one this small?

Thank you for any light you can shed...

Friendly regards
Jewel Watch - 1sm.jpg Jewel Watch - 2sm.jpg Jewel Watch - 3a.jpg

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,023 Posts
Welcome to watchuseek.

I do not follow vintage, and I do not recognize the movement.

I think that movement looks like about 2.75"' x 7"'.

Jewelwatch_Jean_Weil_800.jpg

I guess that movement came from a ladies watch and Jewelwatch
did not make the movement. For comparisons you might look up
"European Watch Co." and "Lecoultre Duoplan".

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much "rationaltime". The registry extract is GREAT information... Much appreciated.

JEan WEiL = JEWEL, it would appear.

I also now wonder whether Jean Weil might have been related to Raymond Weil. I just sent the firm a message asking about this.

Finally, I did compare this movement to an EWC duoplan, and remarked how much the designs differed (see photo). I also "images googled" for the old JLC 2 ligne movement (Cal. 101), but only found the contemporary versions of this movement, which, if memory serves, have slightly different bridge design from the old versions.

Thank you again!

Jewel Watch - 4.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
P.S. Just found an image of the vintage JLC 101 (below). From the photo it's interesting to see why the JEWELWATCH movement is 18 jewels, while the JLC is 17 Jewels. The JEWELWATCH movement has a "contre-pivot" on the escape wheel... that is a jewel which sits against the top of the escape wheel's axle (the jeweled polished steel plate fastened by a screw on the escape wheel's bridge, visible in the photos). Whoever made this movement was a real "artist"!

Jewel Watch - 7a.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you VERY MUCH rationaltime. Thank you VERY MUCH Golipo. You are both quite amazing!

Also remarkable, considering the pieces described in the journal article on watch-wiki, and the quality of my 2 ligne movement which is at least alluded to in the journal article, is that Jean Weil's company/production is so obscure...

I persist in wondering whether there is a family tie between Jean Weil/Nathan Weil (his father?) and Raymond Weil. Unfortunately my email to the latter company still hasn't received any reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts