WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You don’t need a smart watch or Fitbit to guide you for your exercise routine. Just run 5k per day under 30 minutes and finish off your stinky sweat on the elliptical for another 10 minutes and and feel like a Superman and call it a day! This smart watch doesn’t make you healthy and actually it is the opposite. Beside smart watch look ugly. I am 100% mechanical watch! I love my Seiko SUMO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats a great Seiko, i can see why you like mechanicals.
To be honest with you I am tempted to buy AW but I kept resisting. I don’t want to spend more time fiddling around with another gadget. Another problem with smart watch is that after 2 years it becomes obsolete and I need to shovel another $500 plus for the upgrade. I don’t know. I will probably stop reading about smart watch. Back to fiddling with my mechanical watch, try to get the accuracy within +/-2 seconds per day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeh i hear what your saying , I Dont Think Mechanical watches can be beat (Even Quartz) , i just like the gadget feel to the AW, and other smart watches :)
I know mechanical watch feel kind of bulky and heavy on the wrist. AW feels smooth on your wrist because of the way it was designed. Does AW produce or mimic that ticking sounds like a mechanical watch?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
There are pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses to everything. Pick whichever aligns most your preferences. It's really that simple.

Smartwatches and traditional horology are two completely different categories of product, that really only do one thing in common... display time on the wrist. To say one is superior over the other is really saying one is personally preferred over the other.

·
Registered
716 Posts
To be honest with you I am tempted to buy AW but I kept resisting. I don’t want to spend more time fiddling around with another gadget. Another problem with smart watch is that after 2 years it becomes obsolete and I need to shovel another $500 plus for the upgrade. I don’t know. I will probably stop reading about smart watch. Back to fiddling with my mechanical watch, try to get the accuracy within +/-2 seconds per day.

When I consider the amount of money I’ve lost flipping around mechanicals over a two year period, Apple Watch cost is immaterial. I think it’ll save me a ton of money!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You don’t need a smart watch or Fitbit to guide you for your exercise routine. Just run 5k per day under 30 minutes and finish off your stinky sweat on the elliptical for another 10 minutes and and feel like a Superman and call it a day! This smart watch doesn’t make you healthy and actually it is the opposite. Beside smart watch look ugly. I am 100% mechanical watch! I love my Seiko SUMO!!

I appreciate my mechanicals watches for their craftsmanship and design.

But I agree whole heartedly with your statement: I recently bought an AW4, and is has indeed made me more dependable.

I had zero interest in fit trackers and smart watches. Or quartz watches, with the exception of having a few GShocks for sports and yard work.

Notifications are what attracted me to the series 4. My hearing is not so good, and getting worse. I noticed I've been missing calls, meeting notifications, and texts on my iPhone X, either when in my pocket, or on my desk when I've stepped away.

I went to the Apple store 2 weeks before xmas to get air pods, and see what I can do to improve notifications on my iPhone X. The guy I worked with checked out my settings, and we made some adjustments that improved sound and vibrations. I had some things off, and some notification sounds were mild and short. Much better than when I walked in. Then he had me walk around the store, phone in pocket, while he got my AirPods receipt.

Unbeknown to me, what he was actually doing is testing the iPhone changes: he sent me several texts, and called a few times. I noticed the last call. The store was fairly noisy. He had done all he could, so we said good bye.

On the way out I stopped at the AW table, just out of curiosity, smugly wearing one of my Doxa's Subs. I over heard several customers my age talking about the AW and notifications with an Apple rep. One thing led to another and, more than a little embarrassed, I bought one to try out.

Over the next 3 weeks, I found myself wearing it more than I thought I would... even beyond just work hours.

The enhancement of notifications, via both wrist tap and having the speaker up near your upper body vs in pants pocket, made a significant difference for me. I could leave my phone on silent most of the time, and rarely miss a call or notification. For work, that benefit alone was extremely valuable, and justified the AW4.

The ability to simply talk to text improved my response to texts. Up to that point in my life, I had always treated texting as a - very - distant second to emails or a phone call. My response rate to texts had been abysmal. Now I could now keep up with my daughter and son, my sister, co-workers, etc. The wife is a mild texter. So convenient!

I returned in on the last day I could. Two reasons. First, over the 3 weeks, I found it increasingly harder to remember to put on my mechanical watches. That was not what I wanted: the AW was to be for work only. Second, I always considered the AW to be ugly. Still do. Just a soulless piece of technology.

I missed the AW immediately, driving home from the Apple store. I hated that, and tried to suppress. After a week to so, I realized I hardly glanced at my wrist with a mechanical. And when I did, I realized what I was looking for something I could see at a glance on the AW, but now required getting my iPhone out of my pocket.

That's when it hit me: the AW is not a watch. It's an extension of my iPhone.

At a glance and a tilt, I can see a number of things, customize to what's important to me ... in addition to 100% accurate time. Weather, who just sent me a text or email, next meeting, etc. I can change the entire face, with one swipe, to see other things important to me. With one or two more swipes, I can can respond text-to-talk to a text, check my next meeting, set a timer ... customized to what I want to see. In bright sunlight or total darkness.. All my mechanical did was tell time.

I travel a lot. with the AW, at airports, I can leave my iPhone in my backpack.

One week later I was back at the Apple store. Bought a SBSS AW4, and ordered an Erika's MN, and a Jack Forster leather. Both straps transform the watch.

I still see it as ugly. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder: I had a Camel Toe toe, and flipped it almost immediately. Although the Camel Toe is a nicely made watch, and has the soul of a mechanical, IIMHO it's Seiko's fugliest dive watch. I'd take Tuna over it. Or even an AW.

See what I mean? Your Sumo is like art: we all like different paintings, or music. The AW is like a laptop or smart phone: we choose on tech features, not beauty.

The AW is disposable tech, with perhaps a 2, maybe 3 year lifespan. Negligible resale value, and not an heirloom piece by any means.

I'm keeping my mechanicals. But the AW has transformed my life in many ways, and as you point out, made me more dependable.

For your enjoyment:

_DSC5245.jpg lune4.jpg _DSF1075.jpg all three side by side top.jpg sinn face.jpg

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
interesting.

I wonder the reaction if I post an opposing thread on the Seiko forums :)
I've been into dive watch for at least 15 years or so, so I stated an AW thread on the watch dive watch forum, to see how other WUS think about the AW. Very interesting and polite discussion.

There aren't too many of us WUS mechanical guys with AW's yet.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I know mechanical watch feel kind of bulky and heavy on the wrist. AW feels smooth on your wrist because of the way it was designed. Does AW produce or mimic that ticking sounds like a mechanical watch?

IMHO, a mechanical watch, one that also fits your wrist properly, is effortless to wear. In almost all cases, when someone describes a mechanical as bulky, heavy, or unforforyable, the watch case (i.e. case length, or "lug to lug") is too big. If so, the watch will be unstable.

The AW case design, I find, to be bulky, androgynous, a box with rounded edge. The case back lifts if off the wrist. It lacks the artistry that is often found in mechanical watches.

But the AW designers had challenges traditional watch makers don't face. Apple seems to have wanted simplicity and continuity in its design. vs. different style cases. Therefor it had to be androgynous. it is limited by the components inside, and the need for as large a display size as possible, while still fitting an average wrist. All about trade offs, like so many things in life.

It is often said that mechanicals are men's (or lady's) jewelry; the AW is a tech tool.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i am a mechanical watch guy too
but i have both on my hands. Mechanical watch on left hand and fitbit on right hand.
although having to constantly charge fitbit annoys the hell out of me. that is the exact reason i hate quartz, i don't want to worry about charging and battery

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is good discussion! With that said I just bought a very slightly used Seiko Sumo SDBC069 for $460. I was going to use that fund to buy a low end AW but I just can’t do it for my circumstance and life style.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
IMHO, a mechanical watch, one that also fits your wrist properly, is effortless to wear. In almost all cases, when someone describes a mechanical as bulky, heavy, or unforforyable, the watch case (i.e. case length, or "lug to lug") is too big. If so, the watch will be unstable.

The AW case design, I find, to be bulky, androgynous, a box with rounded edge. The case back lifts if off the wrist. It lacks the artistry that is often found in mechanical watches.

But the AW designers had challenges traditional watch makers don't face. Apple seems to have wanted simplicity and continuity in its design. vs. different style cases. Therefor it had to be androgynous. it is limited by the components inside, and the need for as large a display size as possible, while still fitting an average wrist. All about trade offs, like so many things in life.

It is often said that mechanicals are men's (or lady's) jewelry; the AW is a tech tool.
I thought you were using “androgynous” as a derogatory term, but yes, that’s what it is. The case color, face style, and strap choice are what change its, uh, “gender identity” (since we’re going down that road here).

You can have the modernist Link Bracelet, you can have a pink leather strap with beads and flowers, you can have a photo of your kids or just use a plain chronograph face. The physical object — the case and display — are a blank slate and don’t get in the way of personal customization.

And I don’t know if the OP meant to use “dependent” instead of “dependable”, but like nepatriot said a couple posts back, mine lets me communicate more dependably than before. Been using one since the summer it launched.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts