WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it seems like a slow day. But what are everyone's views on smartwatches? I think they are a great tool and should be appreciated as a tool that is an accessory to our phone.

I love watches of all kinds from mechanical to quartz. I believe that smartwatches are here to stay for the long haul. If anything it gets most of the general public in the habit of wearing something on their wrist.

Yes I own and wear my smartwatch on a daily basis. But I'm using it as a step counter and sleep tracker as my fitness and sleep has been terrible lately. Since I've started wearing it, the watch has made me more cognizant of how inactive I was. What's nice is I can change the watchface and it looks like a new watch all the time even though it's the same watch. Not too dissimilar from changing straps on our favorite watches to change the look.

Also I've noticed that it has made me appreciate my mechanical watches more. Every time I look at the gear s3 frontier it makes me miss my other watches that little bit more but also makes me be amazed at the technology in a mechanical watch.

I'm following my self imposed rule of 1 watch per year. Next year I will be back to wearing a mechanical watch again. Going to be on the hunt for a yellow dial speedy.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I have a ZeTime as my smartwatch. I love it. One of the main reasons I love it is because it has analog hour and minute hands, that sit "on top" of the LCD screen. This gives it the aesthetics of a mechanical watch, but with the smart functionality that, quite frankly, is very useful for many reasons. A number of people that have seen me wear it have asked if it was a Movado, given the silver hands on completely black dial (the LCD is not lit 24/7, so most of the time it's just dark). Ironic, because I actually own a Movado Museum Classic as well. Anyways, my biggest gripe about smartwatches is that they don't look or feel like a "watch", more like a tablet on your wrist. This is why I love the ZeTime so much, as I feel it gives a great blend between the digital and analog components (bonus points also because it came, by default, with a bracelet and not a strap).

IMG_20190826_154849.jpg

IMG_20190828_164450.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
Made the transition to Garmin last year and haven't looked back. Probably going to off load the last of my collection that's worth anything this month. I really do enjoy the notifications without having to pull my phone out

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Been thinking about trying one out. But not sure how important it is to me to see all notifications instantly...
On top of that, smartwatches will continue to evolve on a daily basis. Therefore, I dont want to have to upgrade to a new one every year or so (pending how fast changes happen)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I like them more than my traditional watches. I like the GPS trail tracking and altimeter readings on my weekend hikes. The daily step count, nightly sleep tracking and text message notifications are really nice too. I like downloading different watch dial faces for my various activities and moods... this keeps things new and fresh.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I like them more than my traditional watches.
I will fully agree with you, based on qualifying that statement with an added "as a daily wearing watch". I still absolutely love my other watches, my favourite being a Tissot Open Heart. But I wouldn't want to wear it every single day. My ZeTime is perfect for Monday to Friday wearing, and then I rotate my mechanical watches for weekend wear.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I think they're very useful. I wear my AW3 about 90% of the time. My commute to work is roughly 50-55 minutes, so I like the hands-free talking capability (state law), as well as controlling music while driving. I also like that the time is always perfectly accurate, and I can see the day's H/L temps with a glance to the wrist. If it tells the time, it's a watch. Saying otherwise is about as ignorant as saying the only real cars are Model-Ts. No mechanical watch you put in front of me will sweep as smooth as the second hand on my AW. :) Do I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread? No. Do I think I'm committing some blasphemous act by wearing one? Not at all. I say there's room for all, and we shouldn't limit ourselves based on what others think.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,776 Posts
Not this S.t again right?
Smartwatches are useful and can be your only watch. There is no single line in smartwatches as in mechanical, quartz or digital watches. They different.
Considering customization options it can be literally anything.
Anyway smartwatches are popular both among young and senior.
It's not like they will go away. They here to stay and influence people.
Like it or not.

·
Registered
20,361 Posts
Smartwatches are like mobile phones, they are there to replace their analogue counterpart, the process is irreversible.

It doesn't mean that mechanical watches have are dead. Not so fast. Smartwatches have a weak point, they are disposable just like smartphones. You certainly can replace some selected parts to make a smartwatch work longer, but technically speaking the device is dead because there will be neither hardware nor software support from the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Smartwatches are like mobile phones, they are there to replace their analogue counterpart, the process is irreversible.

It doesn't mean that mechanical watches have are dead. Not so fast. Smartwatches have a weak point, they are disposable just like smartphones. You certainly can replace some selected parts to make a smartwatch work longer, but technically speaking the device is dead because there will be neither hardware nor software support from the manufacturer.
I'll respond backwards, because I think it makes more sense that way.

You're correct that smartwatches are, generally, irreparable. But that doesn't mean their adoption in the marketplace will be flawed. Mass consumers don't care about repairability. They care about low cost and ease of replacement. Why does basically no one care that smartphones are non-repairable ? Because they simply renew their contracts, get another subsidized phone and walk out the door. When was the last time you saw someone "repair" a laptop ? ..... Exactly. The same train of thought can be applied to when software is old and outdated.

So, THAT reason is not why mechanical watches will survive as a niche product. There are multiple reasons, and what weight you assign to each one in terms of importance is very personally subjective. First, mechanical watches are viewed as a luxury item. I think what we're really going to see is the <$500.00 "non-smart" watch disappear. Someone who's willing to spend $2K, $4K, $10K on a watch is NOT the same consumer as someone looking to buy a FitBit. Second, mechanical watches are also considered by many to be an aesthetic item, a piece of jewelry, if you will. I know for me, I personally have to enjoy the aesthetics of a watch, or I won't buy it. Third, enthusiasts make up a large portion of the luxury watch market. Enthusiasts, while market uptake in smartwatches may indeed affect them (I myself have one, after all), isn't necessarily going to flat out stop them from buying a mechanical watch as well.

There's lots of other reasons, but you get the idea. The analogy between a home phone and a mobile phone isn't exactly the same thing. Home phones weren't a "luxury" item, and you're talking about a fundamental shift in where a product is consumed (locked in the home vs going everywhere with you). The correct comparison if you want to use a home and mobile phone would be to compare a wrist watch with a wall clock.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Traditional watches will never go away, no matter what technology brings to the market. I pay amazon every month to have unlimited access to digital music, but ppl still buy and listen to vinyl records. There are amazing digital amps for electric guitars, but tons of musicians still play on “outdated” tube amps. There will always be a market for traditional or low-tech commodities. I have quartz, autos, and an Apple Watch. They all have a purpose, and I appreciate each for what it is. The market may continue to decline with the rise of technology, but I don’t see it ever becoming obsolete. Variety is the spice of life, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay_R and lvt

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,776 Posts
I don't want to spill water on burning passion for watches but many arguments against smartwatches relevant only for these who think mechanical watch is the way to go.
I am not saying someone wrong here by choosing that over that (put anything you like). Yet, in many cases "traditional" watches for 99% of people do not live that long. So 4 year time span of smartwatch is not much of the burden.
Even die hard mechanical watch enthusiasts rotate their watches, buy new ones and sell old ones so very few actually stick to their "trusted and true" in excess of 5 years.
Also unlike mechanical watches smart tech gives you upgrade in function so it like after 4 years your watch becomes automatic, than chrono tourbolion and than whatever next.
So replacing your smartwatch comes with bonus which most other watches can't deliver (while keeping same price).

Disposable tech saddens me yet this is not entirely new thing.
Like i said in other similar thread been non reparable comes with miniaturization. so it's like been upset about inability to fly jetliner old aces style with wind in your scarf.
Yep it's too fast to do that.

Or why we can't fix wristwatches from major Swiss brands with screwdriver, hammer and pliers like cuckoo clock. That a major blow to serviceability of mechanical watches!

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Or why we can't fix wristwatches from major Swiss brands with screwdriver, hammer and pliers like cuckoo clock. That a major blow to serviceability of mechanical watches!
You know, that's actually a really good point. The whole "you can't service or repair a smartwatch" is completely moot, since YOU can't really "service or repair" a Swiss mechanical watch either. In both cases, you're spending money, whether that's to replace a smartwatch or pay a watchmaker to overhaul a mechanical movement.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,776 Posts
People also forgot no serviceable and de facto disposable mechanical watches which were all the rage before quartz mercifully killed these.
There is no problem to make "upgradable" smartwatch (Apple, TAG had these ideas) but it also died after 1st interaction because things are developing and growing.
Currently there is 0 point in making anything permanent because in next 10 years it going to change very very much.
Also majority of smartwatches go head to head with affordable and affordable/fashion watches. categories where nobody expects anything to last forever.
Anyway. I don't believe it's going to convince many people.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
As I've said before in some thread on here at some point in time, it's really just about preference. The obsolescence of smart watches and the service costs of mechanicals are essentially the same thing. Do you want to pay for servicing every few years, or buy a new smart watch every few years? It's a wash in the end. You can find plenty of evidence to support your point of view, whether you're for or against.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As I've said before in some thread on here at some point in time, it's really just about preference. The obsolescence of smart watches and the service costs of mechanicals are essentially the same thing. Do you want to pay for servicing every few years, or buy a new smart watch every few years? It's a wash in the end. You can find plenty of evidence to support your point of view, whether you're for or against.
Completely agree with your point of view. It is just a matter of personal preference and current discussion is purely for fun.

One point to emphasize is that the total cost of ownership may be quite different depending on which watch category you are in or how often are you going to upgrade your smartwatch. For example, if we account the initial purchase cost of a mechanical watch at $5000, and the service cost of $500 every 5 years, you've spent $6000 in 10 years. Similarly, $700 for acquiring a smartwatch every 3 years would cost you $2100 in 10 years. Upgrade every 2 years and the cost increases to $3500. Some people would argue that the mechanical watch would still be worth something after 10 years, but that is open for debate. The $5000 watch must be valued at a minimum $2500 after 10 years, just to get even with the smartwatch ownership cost.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,776 Posts
It's still like kinda comparing absolutely different things.
That said there are people who don't need smartwatch and people who enjoy smartwatches.
There are plenty of people who don't wear watch at all and pretty happy with their phone.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Completely agree with your point of view. It is just a matter of personal preference and current discussion is purely for fun.

One point to emphasize is that the total cost of ownership may be quite different depending on which watch category you are in or how often are you going to upgrade your smartwatch. For example, if we account the initial purchase cost of a mechanical watch at $5000, and the service cost of $500 every 5 years, you've spent $6000 in 10 years. Similarly, $700 for acquiring a smartwatch every 3 years would cost you $2100 in 10 years. Upgrade every 2 years and the cost increases to $3500. Some people would argue that the mechanical watch would still be worth something after 10 years, but that is open for debate. The $5000 watch must be valued at a minimum $2500 after 10 years, just to get even with the smartwatch ownership cost.
Yep, fully agreed. The same math is used for a lot of things these days, like electronics and computer equipment.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts