WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this thread to see if anyone has bought a SMG-1 lately? and to take my mind off the arriving Phantom.

Are the SMG-1s available now?

Anyone who owns one and that has a Phantom care to pass along some comparision of these two pieces.... maybe a photos or two side by side?

The wife said I could get either a old model Rolex GMT "Pepsi" (the only watch I owned when we 1st met) or the Kobold SMG if I'd like too.

She ordered me a nice Steinhauser(sp) multi watch winder and storage box Sunday on our anniv.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The wife said I could get either a old model Rolex GMT "Pepsi" (the only watch I owned when we 1st met) or the Kobold SMG if I'd like too.

She ordered me a nice Steinhauser(sp) multi watch winder and storage box Sunday on our anniv.
No info on the SMG-1, but congrats on your wife! You have to love a woman who feeds the hobby. Personally, my only two watches were gifts from my wife, and hers was a gift from me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe that the SMG-1 is now only available thru private sellers. Check the usual auction site & private seller haunts. It is an incredible watch that really does not seem to get that much forum attention & pics. Anyone have an idea of how many SMG-1's were made?

Congrats on the Phantom, wear in good health and epic adventures !

scott
pittsburgh

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, She's pretty special.

I got a Ocean7 G2 and G1 this week...... plus the Phantom, she likes them all.

I bought her a Rolex about 3 months ago and yesterday she took my Seiko SKA-291 on a black NATO as a work knock-around piece.

She kinda pushing toward the Rolex GMT Master II "Pepsi" as that's what I wore when we first met in Orlando in '84.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
There were 50 models available to the civilian market and 50 available to the military market in the standard SMG-1, not sure what the numbers will be for the tactical, but they will be probably the same.

The standard SMG-1 is long since sold out, but I think the tactical are still available new.

I owned the phantom and own the Endurance II which is the same size. The EII weights a bit more being SS than the SMG-1, but they are both very comfortable to wear. The SMG-1 looks much bigger on the wrist more from the small bezel and large face than from the 2mm larger case size.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Obie,

Which did you perfer when you tried the SMG and Phantom?

I like the numbers on the SMG (old military guy I am) vs the Phantoms bars.

One reason I was liking that special Safari piece that Henne has.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Not trying to be smart, but both. I like both equally well, as they are different enough to justify having both. It depends on how I am feeling if I choose to go for a larger looking watch or a "normal" sized watch, with my 7 3/4" wrist.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm fortunate to have both the Phantom and the SMG-1 tactical, in the original configuration. I find that I wear my SMG-1 far more than the Phantom. They're both excellent watches, but I've grown accustomed to larger, more legible watches and the SMG-1 fills that role quite nicely. Additionally, while it is only slightly larger than the Phantom, it wears considerable larger due to the small bezel size and it's lighter, being Ti. Ti, also tends to warm up quicker than SS... I've also noticed that the PVD treatment on SS appears more polished, if that makes sense. On Ti the PVD treatment gives the watch a more Matte type look which i prefer.

Again, both watches, and Kobold in general are excellent and you would not be disappointed. The Phantom is relatively available, whereas the SMG-1 is truly limited, especially in the original configuration.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I would go for the SMG-1. Here is a pic of mine - I actually sold it once and have bought it back (sound familar to anyone?). Todd - dont even say anything to remind me I should not have sold it......

Regards
Art

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Phaedrus, just the photo I was looking for.

I contacted Henne, and the SMG they had is gone.

I spoke to Kobold and no regular Ti SMG are available and the SMG-1 PVD is iffy maybe one to be had if I'm lucky, they'll let me know.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just saw the SMG and have been talking with him this afternoon........

Believe it or not, I went to Atlanta this afternoon an bought the Rolex GMT "Pepsi"....

So gotta see what I can do to work this out.

Who wants the Phantom?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts