WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Recently picked this one up for a few bucks at a garage sale, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? Trying to decide if it is a junker or if it may be worthy of a service? Hand wound & working, haven't clocked it yet but I don't think it is holding he best of time.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or skills required to crack the back, any tips on doing this? The edges are almost complexity smooth so dont think a wrench is going to cut it :-(

Front Markings:
ASTRAL
17 Jewels
Swiss Made

Back Markings:
Water resistant 5ATM single tested
Swiss made
Stainless steel back
Base metal bezel

Any info, tips or thought greatly appreciated, cheers!

IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
HI,
I think what you have there is one type of case trying to look like another type of case,hence i don`t think it is meant to screw off,but rather pop off,and snap back on.If i`m right there will be a tiny cut out where the case back meets the case,and this is where you place a case opening tool.A dull edge of a pocket knife can be used but be careful not to damage yourself or the watch in the process.Hope that helps.It`s a nice looking watch,and the older i get the more i am drawn to high contrast dials.;-)

Regards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,
I think what you have there is one type of case trying to look like another type of case,hence i don`t think it is meant to screw off,but rather pop off,and snap back on.If i`m right there will be a tiny cut out where the case back meets the case,and this is where you place a case opening tool.A dull edge of a pocket knife can be used but be careful not to damage yourself or the watch in the process.Hope that helps.It`s a nice looking watch,and the older i get the more i am drawn to high contrast dials.;-)

Regards.
Thanks Apollonaught,

Have had a closer look, no slit to speak of, I can just get a sharp blade into the join but don't seem to be budging. Not using too much force as I dont want to snap the blade & nothing dull will fit.

Must admit it is a slightly strange combo, a dive bezel with only 5ATM water resist.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hmmmm.........not budging.I was pretty sure it`s a one piece back.Anyway,there is an upshot to this,the previous owner may never have had the case back off either,meaning no dirt or moisture has gotten in to the movement...so best advise i can say is wear it and enjoy it...it could give you years of enjoyment before you need to look at it seriously.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
It looks like a snap off back to me too. BTW, I don't think its a Smiths at all - but is from the period after Smiths withdrew from watch production. Someone bought the name 'Astral' and had watches made in Switzerland.

Reactions: Apollonaught

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like a snap off back to me too. BTW, I don't think its a Smiths at all - but is from the period after Smiths withdrew from watch production. Someone bought the name 'Astral' and had watches made in Switzerland.
Cheers Marrick. Good info, do you know when "after Smiths" could date the watch? I have hunted but Google is letting me down :-(

Hmmmm.........not budging.I was pretty sure it`s a one piece back.Anyway,there is an upshot to this,the previous owner may never have had the case back off either,meaning no dirt or moisture has gotten in to the movement...so best advise i can say is wear it and enjoy it...it could give you years of enjoyment before you need to look at it seriously.
Very true, have run it for about 12 hours now, seems to be good to the minute havent measured down to seconds yet.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Cheers Marrick. Good info, do you know when "after Smiths" could date the watch? I have hunted but Google is letting me down :-(
They stopped making movements in England in 1970 - Information - but I really don't know anything else I'm afraid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts