WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today with a couple of others SoRs- "needs a new battery" :-d.

The plating is in very poor condition, but the movement is just fine:

Anyway, I thought I'd post it as its pretty rare (obscure?). Eeeb says he has one, but can't prove it.:roll:

Anyone who wants more info on the Astrolon see this thread:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=223439&highlight=astrolon

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I was watching a Tissot version recently on 'you know where'.......and it actually went for quite reasonable money if I remember rightly?!!

I've heard allsorts about this mov't aswell, from it was 'really accurate and cheap to make, but before it's time', to that 'it was very unreliable and a poor timekeeper' and that it nearly bankrupt Tissot at the time.....so not sure what to believe?? :-s

You do see a few different branded versions come up from time to time............you got any plans for this one??

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Am I being baited? :-s

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard allsorts about this mov't aswell, from it was 'really accurate and cheap to make, but before it's time', to that 'it was very unreliable and a poor timekeeper' and that it nearly bankrupt Tissot at the time.....so not sure what to believe?? :-s
I think they were pretty good performers. While the money spent on developing the movement was almost disastrous for Tissot at the time, the technological learning enabled the Swatch watch to be born. See:

http://www.timezone.com/library/archives/archives0085

You do see a few different branded versions come up from time to time............you got any plans for this one??
If I could get it replated for a few pounds I would. But the costs in the UK are very high - and, frankly, I think its a pretty ugly watch.:-d

I've got a nice Lanco version already, so this one will stay as it is for a few years at least.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Jeepers, you are not kidding about that being an ugly watch...
when I clicked on this thread and was confronted with that...
well.......I'm still recovering lol.

Interesting nontheless.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,215 Posts
Aaagh! Don't tempt me.

There's a Tissot Actualis available at my watchmaker. It's in rotten condition, and I know I'll regret it, but all that plastic is calling to me. o|

Here's my 'plastic-lever' watch; the Q&Q Automatic, assembled in Korea with Japanese parts:

So far as I know, Premier Precision Ltd is the only other manufacturer besides the Tissot/Agon Astrolon project to make a substantially plastic mechanical watch movement.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is very nice.|>

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was looking around on Watchismo today and by some lark saved this photo of a Tissot plastic watch. Must be kismet. I have zero knowledge of these watches, but its appearance and history sparked my interest. I wish I had something to add to the conversation.
Happy Holidays!
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking around on Watchismo today and by some lark saved this photo of a Tissot plastic watch. Must be kismet. I have zero knowledge of these watches, but its appearance and history sparked my interest. I wish I had something to add to the conversation.
Happy Holidays!
Chris
Neat watch - you've added something!b-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts