WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Tudor BBB, Seiko sabr033, Vostok, Glycine Moonphase, About Vintage At Sea 1926
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Found one of my very first watches I remember getting as a gift, back int he 80's a Seiko Sports 100 chronograph. Beat all to hell and then some. So I was looking at some different models and became smitten with the sarb033. Chanced upon a szsb012 spirit too good to pass up. So I grabbed it. It now competes for wrist time with my Tudor BBB. Sooo I wanted to pick up a sarb033 and see the prices are nuts... which the bug bit with the szsb012 and I would to love to have a sarb, but then why not go full Grand Seiko?

I can see my three watch collection in the following manner:

Tudor Black Bay Bronze (daily)
Grand Seiko SBGR257G (work/formal)
Seiko szsb012 (basic beater).

I have many vostok/timex/glycine watches but this time I wasnted a sort of concentrated "collection" to have in rotation. I could remove the Tudor and look for a Seiko in tha tslot, although I am not really big on the Seiko divers...

thoughts? Suggestions? taunts?

Appreciate any feed back you all.

·
Premium Member
71,426 Posts
Now that you’ve got your eye on a GS I bet you’ll still want one even with a SARB on your wrist. IMO the SARB is still good value for money even at the current inflated prices but pretend that it’s not and get a GS. :LOL:

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Rolex Submariner (daily)
Rolex Datejust (work/formal)
Seiko Whichever (beater)

That's how its done. None of this Tudor Grand Seiko nonsense. That stuff flies in forums, not in the real world.

Reactions: Practical Orb

·
Registered
523 Posts
Rolex Submariner (daily)
Rolex Datejust (work/formal)
Seiko Whichever (beater)

That's how its done. None of this Tudor Grand Seiko nonsense. That stuff flies in forums, not in the real world.
In the world I and most people live in, people buy and wear the watches they like, not the watch(es) folks like you thrust upon them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi all, Found one of my very first watches I remember getting as a gift, back int he 80's a Seiko Sports 100 chronograph. Beat all to hell and then some. So I was looking at some different models and became smitten with the sarb033. Chanced upon a szsb012 spirit too good to pass up. So I grabbed it. It now competes for wrist time with my Tudor BBB. Sooo I wanted to pick up a sarb033 and see the prices are nuts... which the bug bit with the szsb012 and I would to love to have a sarb, but then why not go full Grand Seiko?

I can see my three watch collection in the following manner:

Tudor Black Bay Bronze (daily)
Grand Seiko SBGR257G (work/formal)
Seiko szsb012 (basic beater).

I have many vostok/timex/glycine watches but this time I wasnted a sort of concentrated "collection" to have in rotation. I could remove the Tudor and look for a Seiko in tha tslot, although I am not really big on the Seiko divers...

thoughts? Suggestions? taunts?

Appreciate any feed back you all.
Rolex Explorer 36mm (Daily)
44GS or 62GS Case Grand Seiko (on a leather alligator strap) (Work/Formal)
Seiko Mid Size Divers, Quartz (Active watch)

I mostly have Seikos in my collection. It's not by choice, its a natural gravitation due to the accessibility, availability and pricing and value. They have so many designs there always seems to be something for me to get excited over.

As diverse as their current catalog is, I'm discovering their back catalog and vintage stuff is full of gems as well of which I just purchased 2 this past week.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
In the world I and most people live in, people buy and wear the watches they like, not the watch(es) folks like you thrust upon them.
He asked for opinions. I provided mine. I'm not looking for a brand fight.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Practical Orb,
Great start with the watches you have. Vance.

Reactions: Practical Orb

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Current pissing match aside, I think a Grand Seiko would fit your collection if not slightly redundant with your Seiko SZSB012. Depending on your wear pattern, the GS could be your "fancy watch" while the others are more for daily wear. As for Seiko divers, I would hold on to the Tudor while you try some on to fill that slot since you already say you are not too keen on them. If anything, I think a Seiko diver would better fit alongside or in place of the SZSB as the beater. Just my unqualified opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you all, I appreciate the feed back. And no worries about a brand war. Seikos are not for everyone! I mean, who does not want a Rolex? I may have one.... but I would never tell!

I have to say my collection is a lot "all over the place", since I have watches from Tudor, Glycine, Vostok, Seiko, About Vintage, generic watches, Oris, weird kickstarter micro brands, Timex (SNOOOOPY! And the ever faithful field watch that survived basic/schools/alcohol/women..) and the only common thread being "shiney me likes!".

I thought I would make a concentrated effort to set up a small three watch collection to rotate in and out. Admittedly I just want a new shiney...

I am lucky enough to have disposable income and no financial worries other than my cat Maus. Still....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure about everyone wants a Rolex
I purchased my Explorer II in March and sold it last week, maybe I don't appreciate the brand or just got caught up in the 'must have a Rolex in my collection'
My Breitling's, Seiko's (limited editions, vintage), Orient's, etc.which I rotate as I am retired I don't need any particular watch for any occasion; I wear what I want when I want
I am actually looking at some Grand Seiko's so that maybe my next purchase

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure about everyone wants a Rolex
I purchased my Explorer II in March and sold it last week, maybe I don't appreciate the brand or just got caught up in the 'must have a Rolex in my collection'
My Breitling's, Seiko's (limited editions, vintage), Orient's, etc.which I rotate as I am retired I don't need any particular watch for any occasion; I wear what I want when I want
I am actually looking at some Grand Seiko's so that maybe my next purchase
Yeah I was not so hot for Rolex for ever and a day, then the appeal of the Explorer (1016) caught my fancy. But, even with money at hand, I just don't see me paying all that for it. I control the ocd a little in this regard at least. Mainly why I would rather pick up a Grand Seiko instead of the practice version (the sarb). I know in the end I will get both damn watches. The Grand I have my eyes on is the SBGJ203.. I would like the have a sweet GMT in the collection. I mean I know my Glycines are great and fill the the GMT slot nicely, but Grand is shiney.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I was not so hot for Rolex for ever and a day, then the appeal of the Explorer (1016) caught my fancy. But, even with money at hand, I just don't see me paying all that for it. I control the ocd a little in this regard at least. Mainly why I would rather pick up a Grand Seiko instead of the practice version (the sarb). I know in the end I will get both damn watches. The Grand I have my eyes on is the SBGJ203.. I would like the have a sweet GMT in the collection. I mean I know my Glycines are great and fill the the GMT slot nicely, but Grand is shiney.
Yes funny enough I have been looking at that Grand Seiko ..SBGJ203 :LOL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts