WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this morning a blog / post from B&J about his Omega SMP having scratches on the AR where it's rubbing off, despite it only being 9 months old...

Anyone else have this issue, or is it relatively isolated?

I'm yet to have mine scratched/rubbed off after owning it for 18 months, but I am conscious that if it can be scratched off by just cleaning the crystal (which I do a lot as it seems to be a smudge magnet) that I'd be more careful.

If it only happens when hitting something / dropping it, which is a far more isolated event, then obviously not a concern as these happen by accident.

I'm well aware of old Omega's having AR issues but hadn't ever read this before for the new SMP.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I'm surprised Adrian is just becoming aware of this now. That clarity comes at a cost. Omega is not alone, neither are they immune. Normal cleaning will probably be fine a long time, but an accidental hit against, say, a doorknob and it'll probably leave a mark.

Reactions: Seaswirl

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
As he showed in the video the scratches only show at a certain angle and under certain lighting. I think 99% of the time the wear is invisible. Design always has trade-offs, great clarity with the crystal disappearing at the expense of very light wear only visible in certain specific conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
No issues

·
Registered
396 Posts
I tend to avoid watches with AR on both sides for this very reason. But you can't deny now impressive double AR is compared to just single on the inside.

You will notice how unimpressive other watches are once you have seen or own a double AR coated watch such as a new SMP.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I never had issues with the double AR on my Bremont in 7 years of normal use, but I think they do like 9 layers or something of AR so it's not easy to scratch.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yep. Bought my Seamaster 300m new in Jan 2020 and it has some minor scratches in the AR coating. I thought I was the only one with this issue on the newer Seamaster. I don’t recall having done anything overly rough with it also, so I’m not sure how they got there. I guess that’s the scary part.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mine is over 2 years of normal use. I don't baby my watches and the AR coating is still as clear as when I bought it. I subjected it to multiple washes using hospital grade anti bacterial soap, sometimes with mild scrubbing and AR is still intact.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hate outside AR on my watches, little bit of Autosol polish and you can buff it off by hand very easily, I do all my watches because I know the AR will get rubbed/smudged/scratched eventually anyway

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting yeah, I can't say any of my watches have been scratched in the past with AR coating on the outside, but I guess we'll find out.

Not sure I've got the guts to take autosol to it though, at least not until after I've got scratches I can't live with

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Both my PO2500 and AT8500 ended up with scratched AR coating (So that's meant to happen some day I guess).
I serviced my PO2500 after 6 years, and got the sapphire replaced as part of the service (The one with the non-blue AR coating).
I was quite careful but 5 years after for the second service, it was still a tiny bit scratched.. very hard to see depending on lighting but still scratched. So I asked for it to be replaced again.

My AT8500 is about 6 years old and is completely scratched (I will ask for the sapphire to be replaced when I service it), but didn't have the courage to remove the AR coating, not sure I will like the look without it.

My SMP 300 Diver is 7 months old, so far no scratches but I guess it will come one day.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had mine almost a year, no scratches. Adrian mentioned in one of his videos that he doesn't baby his watches. It might be the result. If he or other You tuber says that his steel watch scratches, will we all be asking about this? Looks like he is a true influencer 😀

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had mine almost a year, no scratches. Adrian mentioned in one of his videos that he doesn't baby his watches. It might be the result. If he or other You tuber says that his steel watch scratches, will we all be asking about this? Looks like he is a true influencer 😀
😂 Apparently....

But no I don't care for scratches, I don't baby mine in the slightest, don't even get how people can, but I've never once had scratches like that on my sapphire in any of my watches.

I became curious as to whether Adrian's was quite isolated or whether it was a particularly thin AR coating overall for example...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
😂 Apparently....

But no I don't care for scratches, I don't baby mine in the slightest, don't even get how people can, but I've never once had scratches like that on my sapphire in any of my watches.

I became curious as to whether Adrian's was quite isolated or whether it was a particularly thin AR coating overall for example...
It's not isolated, and not specific to the SMP 300 Diver... I don't baby my watches, and I scratched 3 different AR coating so far... (PO 2500 blue AR coating, PO 2500 transparent AR coating, and AT 8500).

I do everything with them though... Sleep / Beach / Swimming Pool / Gardening / Office / etc... I wear them 24/7, and take them off only to shower.
But I don't do anything particularly rough, and never gave a big bang on a wall or anything like that. I wonder if the sun on the long run doesn't affect the AR coating to some extent, making it more subject to scratch ?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Ive had no issues and my watches go in the sea (plus sand). I think it can happen but you would be unlucky if it was immediately noticeable. I saw the Bark and Jack video and it looks like that damage was a scuff on a gate or something as all the marks are in the same direction (ie done in one go as opposed to daily wear). He wont have his omega for much longer now that Rolex have released a new explorer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a blue SMP and didn't have the issue, but can definitely see it as normal for it's build. What's interesting to me is that other current Seamasters like the 300 and even the 1957 Trilogy only have the coating on the underside.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I had a blue SMP and didn't have the issue, but can definitely see it as normal for it's build. What's interesting to me is that other current Seamasters like the 300 and even the 1957 Trilogy only have the coating on the underside.
Yes, it seems all the more "vintage" look Omega have AR coating inside only. This is the same for the Speedmaster line. The professional has AR coating inside only, where the 2 cadrans / automatic have AR coating on both side.

It probably makes sense, the double sided AR coating gives a much more modern vibe to the watch. It looks amazing, but it comes with some drawbacks....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really interesting he was surprised by this. Underside-only is definitely the way to go. Can't it just be polished off the top? White Seamster is on my list and I'd want that done for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Really interesting he was surprised by this. Underside-only is definitely the way to go. Can't it just be polished off the top? White Seamster is on my list and I'd want that done for sure.

Yes, it's very easy, just tape off the bezel, get yourself some Autosol polish and a microfiber cloth, apply a small amount and buff that worthless AR off lol....Why in the world would you put a scratch-able coating on top of a sapphire crystal is beyond me but it's not limited to Omega, a lot of manufacturers do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, it's very easy, just tape off the bezel, get yourself some Autosol polish and a microfiber cloth, apply a small amount and buff that worthless AR off lol....Why in the world would you put a scratch-able coating on top of a sapphire crystal is beyond me but it's not limited to Omega, a lot of manufacturers do it.
Nice! Sounds simple (famous last words).

Right, I have no idea why anyone would think this is a good idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts