WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some thoughts/words of advice regarding my latest (and probably last) experience with Swatch/Omega service. I've posted a couple of times about the SMP titanium chrono happily picked up recently as it's been a watch I've always admired and wanted to try, and I was not disappointed.

I was down at the Omega service center here in Toronto for another matter towards the end of last year, and decided to have them check it out and see what they'd recommend/quote for a full service, as I'd never had one done there before. They recommended a couple of things on top of the full service, and I decided to give them a shot since I was there (despite some very hit and miss experiences prior), and I liked the idea of a two year warranty etc.

Well when I first got the watch back it really looked great (still does) and seemed to be perfect. Then I ran the chrono, and the sweep second hand jumped and stuttered all the way around the dial like it had a mind of its own. Ugh. How do they miss these things? Back it goes... two more weeks... I go back today to get it again, and am checking it at the desk. Chrono seems to run smoothly. Except for a five second interval while going around where it still stutters. How is that possible?

Anyway, they get the technical manager who offers a convoluted explanation that makes little sense to me, but ends with him saying it's normal/nothing is "wrong" and there isn't anything they can do about it. They did replace some of the chrono parts/wheels in order to "fix" the stutter issue (although I'm not sure why they weren't replaced in the original full service for over a thousand bucks).

So I leave, a bit frustrated but I'm just so tired of this nonsense and figured I could live with it and it wasn't a hill I wanted to die on. Of course now I get home and notice with more of a chance to look and no distractions that the chrono hour totalizer hand was installed off center to the left... Lovely. Tried to capture it in a photo below, but it doesn't show well. In person it's definitely there and it bugs me.

Honestly I know the watch was "in QA" from Wednesday until they called me today, but for the life of me I don't know what quality these guys are "assuring". They don't seem to be able to see their noses in front of their faces when it comes to the watches in their charge.

So use caution and know that when you decide to go this route nobody but you is going to hold Omega accountable for their work (and their mistakes). Anyway, apologies this rambled and ranted longer than I meant. Love this watch still, and am going to see if these admittedly minor (but expensive) imperfections bother me on an ongoing basis or not. If they do I'm just going to send it to Al (Archer) at cost and know I will get it back perfect... And yes I know I probably should have done that in the first place!

Oh yeah... one last thing: the second time it came back with what looks like worse timekeeping specs than the first time! : P

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Sorry to hear about such a bad service you had, think we are doing the right thing sending it to Omega and then something like this happens, I think Omega need to retrain some of its staff.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Damn, sorry about your service, I am starting to get nervous as to the time I will have to get my PO serviced. The stories just keep coming about bad servicing. Anyway enjoy your great looking chrono and stay warm,lol, here in Western Australia it's going to be 44 deg celcius.....ouch!

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Ugh, that is frustrating mate!

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
I told people here a long long while ago that watchmakers at Omega are just nothing more than incompetent noobs. How many more misaligned hands, bad regulated movements, scratched cases and scratched glass complain posts are we going to count?? Rather send your watch to Al Archer, he will and would have done a better job.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Can u request that it go to Seattle? I would not hesitate sending it there. And I haven't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a good experience with Seattle as we'll on my PO except it ran a little faster than I would like when it came back.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience I would be livid having to be sent back not once but twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I told people here a long long while ago that watchmakers at Omega are just nothing more than incompetent noobs. How many more misaligned hands, bad regulated movements, scratched cases and scratched glass complain posts are we going to count?? Rather send your watch to Al Archer, he will and would have done a better job.
Couldn't agree more. I also have a one of these SMP Titamium Chronos that I just picked up and it is going to Al for a once over. I will never send a watch to Omega/Swatch, even if I happen to buy a new watch and it requires servicing; I would attempt to return it first and then I would send it to Al for repair. Yeah, I know that that will be FAR more expensive than the warranty repair route and I am sure that Omega/Swatch is successful with a great many of the watches they see but I just don't want to take the chance and risk the aggravation and frustration.

Reactions: hidden by leaves

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Very disheartening to see threads like this with respect to service. When will Omega learn....

mike.

Reactions: subrosa

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have we ever collated WUS user experiences with different Omega/Swatch service centres around the world?
This might be interesting to see. And just to be clear I'm referring specifically to the Swatch Canada service center in Toronto, as this is where all my Omega interactions have taken place. I'm sure there are other locations (and other instances) where things are done properly: I just have not experienced this personally and have consequently lost faith in this shop's ability.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Cheers,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Maybe give them one more chance to make it right. I've had half a dozen experiences with Swatch Toronto and my last four were very positive. I could not have been happier with the service I got. That said, everyone can drop the ball sometimes. Someone needs to pick it up and take ownership of this one so that you're looked after. Good luck. And, that is a fantastic looking watch! Chuck said it years ago, and IMHO it still holds true today...'arguably the best dive chronograph around'....I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This might be interesting to see. And just to be clear I'm referring specifically to the Swatch Canada service center in Toronto, as this is where all my Omega interactions have taken place. I'm sure there are other locations (and other instances) where things are done properly: I just have not experienced this personally and have consequently lost faith in this shop's ability.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Cheers,
Anthony
It's not just Toronto - the Montreal service center is total crap in my experience, incompetent AND dishonest. I would not send my watch to an Omega service center even if it's still within the warranty period. Al / Archer all the way for me! :)

cinergi

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Happen quite often actually, to them you are just a number.

My first Panerai gone thru similar BS for half a year, until they decided its not worth to try to fix anymore to offer me a new watch and scram

Reactions: M1K3Z0R

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I keep hearing these negative stories and honestly haven't heard a lot of positive stories...but I rarely would post "huge corporate entity that I paid way too much money to didn't screw me over"...only the opposite ;)

If Omega wants to become Rolex they need to sort this out...one of the biggest reasons I'm a bit skeptical of buying a co-ax movement. If I'm giving you a king's ransom for a service, I expect it to be perfect, or at least as close as possible.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,714 Posts
SMP full Swatch/Omega service, and back again, and still not right... and I g...

Threads like these and a personal experience from a PO 2500 Via Omega is why I eventually parted with that model.

I have a Speedy that has the lemania-based 1861 that I too will send in to Archer watches when the time comes. I have an AT in with Al right now that I am sure he will get sorted, and that had I sent to Omega may have came back and not been 100% or worse with some other problem.

Omega has not done themselves any favors with the servicing of their watches and the newer models that require additional equipment, ie coaxial or even 9300s perhaps, scare folks from buying due to the possible hardships of service down the road.

Hoping that Omega gets this one right for this beautiful chrono in blue.

Sent from something electronic. soak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts