WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a scratch in the AR coating on my SMP. It's in a place where it only shows when the light hits it just right (between the 11 and 12 indices). It's about a cm long, and I can feel it with my fingernail. Again, it's really hard to see, but it bugs me. The question is: Does it bug me enough to do anything about it? The answer lies largely in what it would take to fix it. Any thoughts, ideas, or answers born of experience?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Three options:
  1. Ignore it and live with it
  2. Have Omega (or any watchmaker with Omegas parts access) replace the entire crystal (a few hundred bucks)
  3. Polish all of the AR off. Involves masking tape to protect the bezel, some kind of polishing paste (some say toothpaste is enough), and elbow grease.
FWIW, I always go with option #1

·
Premium Member
8,088 Posts
If you can feel it with your fingernails, the actual sapphire is scratched, not just the AR coating. The only fix if you don't want to live with it is to replace the entire crystal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
replace crystal (kind of a waste to be honest cause all outer AR will eventually scratch) or use some Autosol polish to remove it, I always remove outer AR before it gets banged up/scratched

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would just live with it if I were you. You can now wear the watch care free, plus you have the 2 other options either to replace the crystal to polish off the AR.

If you live with it and wear other watches in the meantime, you will soon forget about that scratch. This has happened to me many times with numerous watches. That scratch will become insignificant over time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got a scratch in the AR coating on my SMP. It's in a place where it only shows when the light hits it just right (between the 11 and 12 indices). It's about a cm long, and I can feel it with my fingernail. Again, it's really hard to see, but it bugs me. The question is: Does it bug me enough to do anything about it? The answer lies largely in what it would take to fix it. Any thoughts, ideas, or answers born of experience?
I think it will be really expensive. Just keep it like this and when you get more scratches, replace it then.

·
Registered
right now, Omega Planet Ocean 2500 (best one IMO)
1,216 Posts
The first answer was right. Replace, polish off or learn to love the little things that make it special. Lol.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I live with mine, I know that it'll be sent to service in a couple years and will come back good as new. So dont worry about it.
FYI I don't believe this would be included in any of the fixed price "full service" offerings by manufacturers. At least with Breitling it wasnt. I sent one of my watches in for a full service after some condensation got inside. They replaced all the relevant parts of the movement, polished the case and bracelet, etc, but did not fix the scratches on the AR. When I went to pick it up, I asked about it and was told that the AR scratches couldn't be fixed, but would rather require a replacement of the crystal. Its an option you'd have to specify and pay extra for during service.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
FYI I don't believe this would be included in any of the fixed price "full service" offerings by manufacturers. At least with Breitling it wasnt. I sent one of my watches in for a full service after some condensation got inside. They replaced all the relevant parts of the movement, polished the case and bracelet, etc, but did not fix the scratches on the AR. When I went to pick it up, I asked about it and was told that the AR scratches couldn't be fixed, but would rather require a replacement of the crystal. Its an option you'd have to specify and pay extra for during service.
Omega does the same. They charge $AUD 200 here in Australia on top of regular service to replace the crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Even where I have had a number of scratches in the AR, I have opted not to remove it. Generally when it comes to sapphire, it would need to be a chip or crack for me to want to change the crystal. Very hard to scratch sapphire to the point that it can bother me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would just live with it if I were you. You can now wear the watch care free, plus you have the 2 other options either to replace the crystal to polish off the AR.

If you live with it and wear other watches in the meantime, you will soon forget about that scratch. This has happened to me many times with numerous watches. That scratch will become insignificant over time.
Will Polywatch work?

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
Three options:
  1. Ignore it and live with it
  2. Have Omega (or any watchmaker with Omegas parts access) replace the entire crystal (a few hundred bucks)
  3. Polish all of the AR off. Involves masking tape to protect the bezel, some kind of polishing paste (some say toothpaste is enough), and elbow grease.
FWIW, I always go with option #1
I'd personally go option 1 or 3, then at service time ask to have it repaired

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think it will be really expensive. Just keep it like this and when you get more scratches, replace it then.
This. I’d wait to address it until you have to send it off for its next service. If it’s bugging you enough at that point, I’d pay to replace the crystal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts