WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
When I bought my Goldeneye second hand there was a scratch running from the 2 to the 4 o'clock right over the date wheel. It was just a hairline scratch and I thought I could live with it. I couldn't. Despite loving the Boba Fett look of the bezel and case, scratches on the crystal drive me nuts. I tried taking diamond polish to it with no luck. Unfortunately I could feel the scratch with my fingernail. I bought an aftermarket sapphire crystal specifically made for this watch and had it installed at my local watchmakers. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
Too many to name.
331 Posts
Reactions: abccoin and Sugman

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I have a small scratch on the crystal of my 2234. Half the time I can't find it. It used to be around the 2:00 mark. I turned down a crystal swap at servicing and the original crystal was reinstalled in a different orientation. Now I need a loupe and a bright light to see it. No biggie at all. To me, that is. If it was glaring I would have to have it fixed though. YMMV
If it is just in the AR layer it can be buffed out. I haven't done it, but there are YouTube videos on it describing it as not hard though a bit tedious.
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Wrist

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you can feel it with your fingernails, the actual sapphire is scratched, not just the AR coating. The only fix if you don't want to live with it is to replace the entire crystal.
Not necessarily. Once a friend of mine showed me something very similar to your example and when I checked it under the microscope, it turned out to be a piece of metal that was attached to the saphire.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts