WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just read an article on the internet about the watch no. on Omega's. It said that watches bought from illegitimate suppliers had the watch no. on the inside of the back plate, is that true?

I've tried to find the watch no. on mine but I can't see it on the outer of the back plate :think: Would it be anywhere else?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The serial should be on a lug, bottom of the watch.
:-! Thanks a lot!

Found the number on both my SMP's exactly where you said...I was starting to panic for a while

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
And if it is bought from an illegitimate (ie grey market) source, it can often be ground off. This is because the source for some of these grey market dealers, (who are perfectly legitimate in their own right, just not Omega Authorised Dealers) is often genuine Omega ADs. The markup on an Omega is such that an AD can shift stock to a grey market dealer at such a discount that he still makes money himself and so does the grey market dealer. Thus if the serial no remains intact, it is not such a difficult job for Omega to find out which AD was the source and hence remove their Omega AD status, which would hit the AD in the pocket obviously because the above transaction would no longer be able to take place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if it is bought from an illegitimate (ie grey market) source, it can often be ground off. This is because the source for some of these grey market dealers, (who are perfectly legitimate in their own right, just not Omega Authorised Dealers) is often genuine Omega ADs. The markup on an Omega is such that an AD can shift stock to a grey market dealer at such a discount that he still makes money himself and so does the grey market dealer. Thus if the serial no remains intact, it is not such a difficult job for Omega to find out which AD was the source and hence remove their Omega AD status, which would hit the AD in the pocket obviously because the above transaction would no longer be able to take place.
What are the benefits of buying from an AD?

Both my SMP's were sort of bought on a whim, I didn't know anything about AD's at the time I bought them. One I bought in Kuala Lumpur airport from a jewellers and the other I bought at Dubai airport from a jewellers. I've just checked and neither are listed as Authorised Dealers :think: although they were both perfectly legitimate & reputable jewellers

·
Registered
94 Posts
What are the benefits of buying from an AD?

Both my SMP's were sort of bought on a whim, I didn't know anything about AD's at the time I bought them. One I bought in Kuala Lumpur airport from a jewellers and the other I bought at Dubai airport from a jewellers. I've just checked and neither are listed as Authorised Dealers :think: although they were both perfectly legitimate & reputable jewellers
Airport duty free outlets are an anomaly, i got my SMP fr the Bangkok duty free, and i've checked with Omega via email and they've confirmed that it is a legit AD watch, although the shop was not listed on the website....i too found this to be pretty strange too... :think:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts