WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Snowflake arrived yesterday. It's a dream. What a watch. There are plenty of glowing reviews about the SBGA011/211 so I'll just ask a question:

Is there something like a Diashield coating on this "high-intensity" titanium?

I ask because, despite being different material, the MM300 SBDX017 and this SBGA211 feel like they have some sort of scratch-resistant layer on them. I know the MM does in fact have Diashield and since the Snowflake feels similar, I thought maybe it too has the coating.

Or maybe that's just how this titanium feels. Regardless, I can already tell that this is going to withstand fine abrasions better than most of my steel watches. And be lighter. And more accurate. And cooler.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Nope. Fortunately there is no diashield on the snowflake. Which is a good thing, given that diashield coated watches can’t be refinished. GS does however manufacture their own special titanium alloy blend referred to as high intensity titanium.

Congratulations. Enjoy it in the very best of health.

This article exclusively dedicated to the snowflake by hodinkee is quite good:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/grand-seiko-spring-drive-snowflake-review

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks great with the brown strap - creates more contrast with the snow white dial. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Congratulations on your new watch! It is certainly one of the all time greats. Like it on the leather! I may have to try that....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hi

I am not usually drawn to the "dressier" design of watches, the closest of my collection being the SBGE001/015. But I do like the snowflake I must say. A very nice watch indeed, and I do like textured dials.

Berni

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I bought this last week at Topper there just happened to be two GS reps there that day. I was assured that the Snowflake could be refinished (in New Jersey "where the watchmaker can service everything except Spring Drive chronographs"). So this all lines up.

Another interesting note was that the Topper folks put a Snowflake in a mass spectrometer to see what the titanium alloy was. Aside from titanium the most common metal is vanadium.

The more you know.

Bonus pic

Nope. Fortunately there is no diashield on the snowflake. Which is a good thing, given that diashield coated watches can’t be refinished. GS does however manufacture their own special titanium alloy blend referred to as high intensity titanium.

Congratulations. Enjoy it in the very best of health.

This article exclusively dedicated to the snowflake by hodinkee is quite good:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/grand-seiko-spring-drive-snowflake-review

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am so happy for you. I just got a black bay and my next grail is a GS. Enjoy the watch and post more photos!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
When I bought this last week at Topper there just happened to be two GS reps there that day. I was assured that the Snowflake could be refinished (in New Jersey "where the watchmaker can service everything except Spring Drive chronographs"). So this all lines up.

Another interesting note was that the Topper folks put a Snowflake in a mass spectrometer to see what the titanium alloy was. Aside from titanium the most common metal is vanadium.

The more you know.

Bonus pic

Something is wrong there. Generally zaratsu refinishing needs to be sent back to Japan. Even more so I feel, if the work needs to be done on a titanium case. Perhaps they were referring to just spot touch ups in NJ... In such a case, I wouldn't trust them to do it well anyway. The folks at Topper should especially be familiar with getting a zaratsu refinishing.

Interesting tidbit on the Vanadium.

Edit: Oh yes, their post does explain that Jersey can (attempt to) refinish, but admittedly not to zaratsu standard. I still say don't even bother having Mah Wah try it. Unless just "good enough" is good enough for you.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f642/zar...s-polishing-service-[update-2-5]-2371082.html

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Congratulations. The Snowflake is amazing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats. Truly one of my favorite pieces, in particular how much I am not obsessed about the accuracy (compared to my lever escapement mechanicals) and just wear it, not to mention the 3 day PR is truly great for letting me wear other things in between

1 - 20 of 34 Posts