WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today the boy said, im going to save up and get a nice watch. Proud as punch 馃榾

I will be giving him one of my less expensive watches, around 拢850 once I know he can look after a mechanical watch.

So does anyone have any ideas on a mechanical for about 拢200 to start the boy on his way?

Premium Member
My dad bought me a Corum Diver Bubble Chronograph as my first proper watch when I was 13. It was how I got into this hobby.

Registered
My 13 year old grandson wears the Timex Marlin Snoopy automatic. It is his first watch, from me of course. He is very ruff on stuff and has sent it through the washer already. He loves it and wears it a lot which is what matters. I have buffed out the crystal twice. It has taken a licking but is still ticking.

Registered
Swatches are always fun. There are many a Seiko 5 that are fun as well. If you're looking for more "mature" designs, there are many nice looking Seiko Cocktails, Orients, FCs, Hamiltons, Tissots, etc. If you want a really wow factor brand, there are some mechanical Longines at that price. Other than Seiko, no other brand down there has that kind of name recognition. Keep in mind, depending on the school environment, you don't want a watch that attracts trouble.

Premium Member
Shields99,
Kids want the best just like we do! My youngest is now 17. At 13, I bought him an analog Casio, wanting him to have to learn intuitively to read the time. He loved that watch but was also hard on it. Then when he was 16, I bought him a Seiko Turtle , Padi edition. I hope he is better at keeping track of it now. Vance.

Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
I wonder if he listens to hip-hop, and is thinking Richard Mille and Patek Philippe are the ones to have? :)

Registered
My first was a Swatch "Flik Flak", my second was a Casio F91W, and my first three-hander was a Victorinox. I'd say if he's set on an automatic movement, go Seiko, and if he's interested in quartz, go Victorinox. Relatively inexpensive, but tough as nails.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts