WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

Registered
Depends on the child. If he's a typical teenage boy I'd avoid mechanical movements all together - too fragile. Get him a nice quartz with sapphire and good WR and see if he takes care of it. Check it in a couple of years if it's still around and working to see how beat up it is. This will provide a good indication of how well he's cared for the watch and what he may want to consider going forward.

Registered
Well today the boy said, im going to save up and get a nice watch. Proud as punch 馃榾

I will be giving him one of my less expensive watches, around 拢850 once I know he can look after a mechanical watch.

So does anyone have any ideas on a mechanical for about 拢200 to start the boy on his way?
pick up an Orient. They should behave nice options well below 拢200.

Reactions: nanook12

Premium Member
Were it my son, I'd avoid giving him anything even moderately expensive. It'll be a source of envy and disdain for his peers, and a shining target for potential thieves. I'd wait until he's 18 until considering a more expensive timepiece. By then, he'll have gained some maturity and hopefully, will have demonstrated the responsibility to take care of it. I like the suggestions of Seiko 5. You may also consider Orient as an affordable mechanical option.

Registered
Based on my own experience being a teenager many years ago, and breaking/mistreating watches -- definitely make sure his first experience is with a watch that would not be a great loss if damaged. Let this be a learning experience for him and save the nicer watch gift for a future occasion!

Registered
I wouldn't spend too much, probably go G-Shock; As previously stated. Only spend what you're willing to lose, either damaged or go missing.

Remember my first watch being a casio calculator watch, broke it within the first day. Apparently it wasn't water resistant, the garden hose done a number on it 馃槶

Registered
Seiko SNK
Black, green, blue, tan, all automatic with display case back, and all available for $80~$100 on Amazon, if it must be automatic this is a cool first watch
Came here to say the same. My kid had a couple of these and it was worn everywhere including the pool. For $100, you can't go wrong.

Registered
Well today the boy said, im going to save up and get a nice watch. Proud as punch 馃榾

I will be giving him one of my less expensive watches, around 拢850 once I know he can look after a mechanical watch.

So does anyone have any ideas on a mechanical for about 拢200 to start the boy on his way?
Sounds like a proud dad moment, enjoy!

What's his idea of nice? Is it more aesthetic, or about the quality of the watch? I'm not too familiar with RRP in GBP, but I usually could on about double CAD. In that range you might be able to get into something like a Hamilton Khaki Field. Other than that, something like the Seiko with a display back is an excellent suggestion but I'd probably lean towards a mechanical Swatch.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I wonder if he listens to hip-hop, and is thinking Richard Mille and Patek Philippe are the ones to have? :)
Yeah he listens to hip hop, not like the old school I did of snoop and dre. Before watches were a thing for them.

Looking at the vids, it is frosted white gold, full after market diamonds and half a mil watches. Good job he is a white Scottish boy and can't afford more than 拢200 with his pocket money.

Premium Member
Steinhart maybe? Has the Rolex style which most everyone loves.

Registered
Yeah he listens to hip hop, not like the old school I did of snoop and dre. Before watches were a thing for them.

Looking at the vids, it is frosted white gold, full after market diamonds and half a mil watches. Good job he is a white Scottish boy and can't afford more than 拢200 with his pocket money.
The new Seiko 5KX SRPD and DressKX SRPE lines have a lot to offer for the money. I just bought a Seiko "bottlecap" SRPC as new full kit $99usd delivered, just to put away for a gift someday. A lot of real bang for the buck IMO.

Registered
What does he like? If it were me, I鈥檇 make it a cool father/son thing and show him options, explain the differences, and let him pull the trigger.

Oh, and I agree that Seiko and Citizen kill it in this area. Mechanical is cool only if he thinks it鈥檚 cool. They鈥檙e more finicky, less accurate, etc. Quartz, especially solar, is much less maintenance and worry.

Here are three options around $100.

Citizen BM8180-03E (solar quartz), Seiko SNK793 (automatic), and Casio G-Shock GW-M5610 (solar and atomic clock-syncing).

Premium Member
Seiko something-or-other, or a Hamilton Khaki perhaps? What a great hobby to share!

Registered
Not sure what he'll like. Does he want a dress watch or something more sporty? What is his wrist size?

I have this very striking one for sale at the moment, but 40mm might be too large for him.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts