WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll put my vote in for a Seiko too. So much to choose from, so many styles and sizes. You're not going to get a chronometer at that price, but Seikos are pretty darned good, and besides, checking/setting the time once a week is part of the charm. :)

Does he want new, or used? Perhaps you guys could search the sales forum together for Seiko just to see what's going around second hand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why only one watch? He needs a tough-looking, unbreakable reliable sports watch. This means quartz with sapphire glass. Seiko or Citizen will get respect in his age group. Then add…his first collectable watch, such as a Vostok Precision, 1960’s Waltham wrist watch, Tressa, or other affordable collectables for about $100. He’ll wear it when dragged along to formal functions. Total budget, around $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 17 year old has a G-Shock for backpacking and other outdoors activities, and a Citizen Corso for "dressy" occasions. With the solar power both are maintenance free and ready to go whenever he decides to wear a watch.

My 15 year old has recently expressed interest in getting a watch. We are having fun looking at the options.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
643 Posts
Seiko dressKX.

A 13yo that isn’t outside, climbing, breaking stuff and living his life is missing out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys, looks like it will probably be a seiko after some investigation this evening.

I really just want him to appreciate and care for his first auto . He is a bright boy, let's see if he goes down the rabbit hole hahaha

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
There are two possible answers: gshock and an incorrect one!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Citizen Eco-Drive of his choosing from Jomashop or similar gray dealer for now. Get him his first mechanical for high school graduation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Why not just a vintage omega? One of the cheap ones going for about $500aud. If he can keep that in good nick you can get him something nicer. He will always treasure it too as it was his first good brand Swiss watch and if I had an omega at 13 I would be ecstatic.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just got this snk809 in the mail last week and I love it. I know that when I was a kid I thought anything with a utilitarian military look was cool and I would have thought this watch looked really cool (I still do). It’s 37mm which is perfect for a kid and it’s got a display case back which my 13 year old self would have loved looking at.

Obviously quartz would be more durable and accurate though so it really matters if he wants to deal with an automatic movement.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I just bought my 11 & 10 year old sons Swatches

·
Registered
Rolex Submariner | Oris | Seiko Prospex Presage | Casio G-Shock
126 Posts
Seiko if looking for automatic. But I think the CasiOak looks great and are a smaller gshock watch that a young watch fan could beat up.

·
Premium Member
8,148 Posts
Seiko 5.

Call me unimaginative, but the consensus can't be wrong..............;)

If he's a tad rough with his gear, then a G-Shock of any sort will suffice.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts