WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
Well today the boy said, im going to save up and get a nice watch. Proud as punch 馃榾

I will be giving him one of my less expensive watches, around 拢850 once I know he can look after a mechanical watch.

So does anyone have any ideas on a mechanical for about 拢200 to start the boy on his way?
My son is thirteen and his first watch that he wears daily is an Orient Mako He adores it.

Registered
Came here to say the same. My kid had a couple of these and it was worn everywhere including the pool. For $100, you can't go wrong.
Agreed, plus there's lots of variety in the Seiko 5 lineup so good chance he can find something he likes.

Registered
Yep, great recommendation and a genuinely interesting technical accomplishment.
Particularly for the price tag of around $150.00. There are multiple fun youthful choices. Plus a couple of more traditional looking options. For a teenager? I think it's a solid way to go. And it's Swiss if that's important to anyone.

Reactions: Inca Block

Registered
Particularly for the price tag of around $150.00. There are multiple fun youthful choices. Plus a couple of more traditional looking options. For a teenager? I think it's a solid way to go. And it's Swiss if that's important to anyone.
Yup, it's a great range. I think Swatch made the right decision to make them non-serviceable as well. At that price point servicing doesn't really make sense. Better to just lower the cost to the point where you can simply get a new one when it wears out.

Registered
Seiko 5 for sure, cant beat it as a first mechanical watch.

Registered
Yeah I think a Seiko 5 is the way to go here. Make sure it has a glass caseback so they can see the mechanical movement.

Registered
I want to add my 2 cents again for a Seiko 5KX or a DressKX, both are watches that he could easily give to his son someday. I purchased this Seiko 5 6119 for parts and ended up not scrapping it, after spending years in a parts box I ended up putting it on this bracelet and now it goes into rotation now and then. This other Seiko 5 7019 I bought on this forum for $80 delivered, I just couldn't say no. Both of these are from 1970, so 50 years later they are still being enjoyed and both are serviceable should I so desire, that is hard to beat. If your son chooses a new 5 series it could well last longer than 50 years and still be serviceable at a reasonable cost.

Attachments

Registered
Victorinox has some nice options, both mechanical and quartz, across price ranges. A consistently underrated brand in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

61 - 71 of 71 Posts