WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so maybe I'm just a lucky guy, and they really are impossible to get, but I am not having an enormously difficult time finding a 5167A at a dealer. I casually expressed interest in one about a month ago, and my AD just called me. On top of that, I've found several more at ADs outside of my area, willing to ship via a 3rd party or themselves. In my experience so far, the 5167A is certainly not in every dealer, but it's not exactly a difficult get, either. To put it in Rolex scarcity terms (which everybody knows), it appears to be as difficult to find as a Rolex Explorer II... A little easier than a Sub, and nothing like a Hulk, Daytona or Pepsi.

So why on earth is the grey market pricing what it is? Close to $40k for used examples? People trotting out the old 35mm versions that nobody wants for north of $22k? Who are the people buying grey market Aquanauts for this money? Clearly enough to support the current market pricing, but I can't imagine anyone is having that much more difficulty than me sourcing a new one from an AD (for less than half the current grey market pricing for used)... I mean, I'm a charming guy and all, but nobody's that charming, ha ha.

So what gives?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WB. I'm thick today man, I don't understand the comment..? If new 5167s aren't that difficult to find in ADs, why are the grey market prices what they are, with used examples going for more than twice MSRP?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
starter...Hello!

I recall an old--very old--Saying: ' Fools and their money / are soon parted .'

It seems that about the same thing's happening with all kinds of stuff: cars & wine & whiskey & watches; the World's awash with what I'll call 'Make-Believe-Money', and the critters who have it, need to spend it on...something!

There may well be a Philosophic Notion at work here, too: if one's not Destined for Heaven or Hell, this Life is all we've got; what does it matter--really?--to spend, say, $50,000 USD on a fairly unexceptional, time-only steel watch, if one's going to end-up as Dust between the Stars...Forever?

Of so it all seems to me.

Michael.

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
Are the ADs actually offering them for less than grey market prices? If so, maybe you're being offered them where other people who don't have any AD relationships can't get the same offer?

Outside of that, it's possible that people are just not putting in the due diligence to check with a bunch of ADs... if so the grey market should correct fairly quickly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If this is true, at MSRP, then sign me up. Hasn’t been my experience and you need to be a real spender at an AD to get one, but if this isn’t the case, PM me because that’s certainly not the dynamic in NYC

·
Registered
114 Posts
starter...Hello!

I recall an old--very old--Saying: ' Fools and their money / are soon parted .'

It seems that about the same thing's happening with all kinds of stuff: cars & wine & whiskey & watches; the World's awash with what I'll call 'Make-Believe-Money', and the critters who have it, need to spend it on...something!

There may well be a Philosophic Notion at work here, too: if one's not Destined for Heaven or Hell, this Life is all we've got; what does it matter--really?--to spend, say, $50,000 USD on a fairly unexceptional, time-only steel watch, if one's going to end-up as Dust between the Stars...Forever?

Of so it all seems to me.

Michael.
Well said and my sentiments exactly

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
Well said and my sentiments exactly
But the question isn't "why would/can anyone spend $40k for an Aquanaut?" ... it's "why would/can anyone spend $40k for an Aquanaut on the grey market, when you can get it cheaper from an AD?"

Assuming the OP was offered a cheaper AD price.

Reactions: starter

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the question isn't "why would/can anyone spend $40k for an Aquanaut?" ... it's "why would/can anyone spend $40k for an Aquanaut on the grey market, when you can get it cheaper from an AD?"

Assuming the OP was offered a cheaper AD price.
Precisely. My experience thus far has been that it is not particularly difficult to find from an AD for the full retail price of what, $19,000 or so? Yet grey vendors and private sellers want more than double that for used pieces... It's just odd.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think people like to list stuff at crazy prices just in the hopes they get a dumb buyer... Sports car market is loaded with that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
True, those are merely “asking” prices.
But im not saying they are bogus either, just saying those are asking prices...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Care to share the name of those ADs?

I’ve been looking for a trinity watch for a few months, and decided on a VCO largely due to availability.

I have a decent relationship with my Patek AD as I’ve bought a few watches from there over the years and so has my father.

When I inquired a month or two ago, he told me chances were very slim to get one, and he’s only gotten a couple all of 2019.

This is a pretty big AD here in Chicago, so if you know one that has them available and even willing to ship, I’d love to know who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I was in my AD in early December, I was told that they were not taking names for the Aquanaut because they didn't know when they would get any in.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Aquanaut's are very difficult to find - hence the used market prices.

I don't know the OP and what buying history he has with the AD's in question but..... I just don't believe his 'luck'. Sorry. There I said it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts