WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had it a few days. I decided to switch it up and went with the blue dialed version. I am quite happy with the blue. It's a very subtle blue that looks black unless under direct light. Went I first took it out of the box, the awe factor really wasn't there like when I received the Orient Star 300m. The best way to describe my initial thoughts on the front of the watch was that it just looked "fat". And the case is a tad long for my liking. But the watch is incredibly comfy on the wrist. It really does conform to the natural curvature of the wrist. The casework on the sides of the case are simply put, incredible. The lines are just beautiful. It makes any watch I've had before look crude. The winding on the 6R15 is masterful. It has a much better feel to it than the 2824. The watch is 2.5 seconds fast after 7 hours sitting crown up. So let's just assume about 10 seconds fast per day. That's very good in comparison to the out of the box 2824 which was 30 seconds fast in my SAR (mind you, the SAR's 2824 was the lowest grade 2824 I believe). The first time I pulled out the crown to change the time I couldn't understand why the second hand wasn't moving! I kept shaking the watch and it wouldn't move, I was worried something was wrong. But then I realized this Seiko hacks. I honestly can say that hacking is not a big deal to me.

Now let's come to the aspect of the watch which brings it down: the endlinks. These are absolutely horrible. Not from the aspect that they aren't solid (they are), but the fact that the endlinks don't flow with the lines of the case whatsoeever. Also, they don't fit snugly in the lugs. You can move them from side to side a little. They are also far too recessed down in relation to the lugs. I would prefer them to be flush with the lugs. I'm surprised I haven't read of move people complaining about these endlinks. Horrible. Now, the bracelet is also subpar. I'll say it again, I've yet to find a bracelet better than that of the Monster, at any price point. I'd rate this bracelet only slightly better than that of the Orient Star 300m's putrid bracelet. The clasp is the Seiko standard and I like it. Oh, I should add, the signed crown is a magnificent touch. It's really a shame the Marinemaster doesn't have one. It adds a lot to the watch IMO. So overall I can say I'm definitely warming up to this watch. The bracelet is a real downer for me though since I'm a bracelet guy. The lume is awesome, typical Seiko. I paid $390 for this, so I think it's a pretty good deal but given the price I could get 3 Monster's so I believe that is still my favorite watch.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
It is a great watch. I don't have mine anymore, but I know what you're talking about with the endlinks. As a matter of fact, your second picture shows the gap between the case and the link. I also had problems with my bracelet squeaking until it got a few weeks of wear. I think this is the watch that made me realize that I was a strap guy. I'm sure it didn't help that my daily wear before this one was an Omega SMP and it's hard to beat that one. I might get another Sumo someday, but if I do I'll snag the orange since it does come with the strap. Personally I want another Omega, so I might get an SMP and dump the bracelet for the PO strap. Sorry for the slightly off topic rambling. The Sumo is hard to beat though, especially if they tightened the gap between the bracelet and the case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This watch also came with the Z20 rubber band. It's okay, but it's too bulky for my liking. And the Z20 also looks puny when I'm used to the Z22! That's another thing, this watch really needs 22mm lugs.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I had a Sumo for over a year and it was a good watch. In the end, I found I prefer bezels that are not recessed (easier to turn) so off to flipville. Absolutely nothing wrong with this watch though, and it is at a very good pricepoint.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Very well-balanced review. For me, the Sumo is about the case-work, dial/hands, crown, movement - and that's about where it stops. As you mentioned, the bracelet just doesn't flow with this watch. And, imo, neither does the bezel or the insert. And, I agree with you 110% that it badly needs 22mm lugs. But, in the end, the excellent case-work and the movement save the watch for me and make it well worth the price. Accuracy has always been within +/- 5 seconds for the year or so that I've had mine. I've gotten used to the bezel design, but I agree with EricL that the watch would have been better (probably Much better) with a non-recessed design.

And, couldn't agree more about the Monster bracelet -- very hard to beat. I ended up putting one on the Sumo. You can sortof see what it looks like from the pic below. Have struggled with the bezel insert. When I removed it, Yamahaki told me to put it back on and lay off the meds, LoL. Have been in discussions to possibly have some custom inserts done for it hopefully.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, once you start asking for a non recessed bezel, better bracelet and endlinks, and better bezel insert you basically end up with a marinemaster. So you might as well get that.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
overall it is a nice watch. very accurate. |>

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
LoL. You also end up with a watch 4x the cost. Using a Monster bracelet with endlinks, a different font for the insert, and a non-recessed bezel, would have all been cheaper for Seiko to do in terms of production costs so really you would just end up with a cheaper (and better) Sumo, imo. In any case, I liked your review and thought it was right on the money.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Using a monster bracelet? The monster's bracelet does not go with the case's elegant lines.

I have to say that it's my favorite watch. I agree with you the case looks fantastic. Looks better than some $5000 watches I've handled.

I think 2824s are nicer to wind. They offer a bit more resistance which feels good to me.

The bracelet is good IMO. The end links could be a bit more snug to the case. I like how they don't sit flush with the lugs to be honest, it makes the big lugs even more pronounced. I always thought that was Seiko's intention.

The accuracy is unbelievable. At first I wasn't impressed because it gained +15s a day but after a period of time (i've had it for about 4 months) it stopped gaining so much.

Mine has gained 2 seconds in two weeks. I usually wear it every day. If not, every other day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts