WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You cannot imagine how angry I am. Let me give you the backstory...

A couple of months ago I noticed my 12 year old Omega Seamaster battery running low. I had let my watch collection languish and I really didn't pay attention to my other watches other than wearing a different one every month or so. But when the Omega battery stopped, I realized my Tag had needed a battery for about a year so I figured I'd just drop both of them off at some jewelers and have him pop a battery them.

Now this all happened before I joined WUS. I'm talking about, like, a week. You have no idea how I am kicking myself about this...

Anyway, I take my Omega and Tag to work with the plan of finding a jewelery shop when I leave for lunch.

I find Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), stop in and ask them to change the batteries for my two watches. The manager tells me that it will take two hours (I found that a little strange, but whatever...) so I agree and leave the watches.

Oh yes. Did I leave my name? A phone number? Did I get a receipt? ANYTHING on paper?

No. Of course not. I just left my watches there trusting they would do the right thing.

When I returned and received my watches, my Omega appeared fine but my Tag was not working at all. I pointed out that the Tag was not working and they simply said 'It was fine after we put the battery in, there must be something wrong with it".

After going back to work, I mentioned this to a fellow watch buff and he said he had a good watchmaker and would have him look at my Tag.

My co-worker's watchmaker discovered that they had "put the battery in backward and shorted it out" . The watchmaker put a correct
battery in and it's been fine ever since.

But that is not the end of the story, it gets worse.

Two weeks after the battery was put in the Omega, it stopped working. There was no way I was going to bring it to those boneheads at Roberts Jewelers so my co-worker again suggested his watchmaker.

Tonight we went there and he showed us what had happened. The incompetent morons at Roberts Jewelers put the wrong sized battery in the watch. When he disassembled the watch, he showed us the current
battery and showed us the proper battery. I should have taken a pic, there was at LEAST a 2mm difference. As such it caused a couple of chips in the watch to crack.

So. Because I took my watch to an incompetent jeweler like Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), I have to pay >$200 for a freakin' battery.

Bob

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that, are you going to raise a ruckus with the jeweler who messed everything up?

Reactions: domayotte

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I would be peeved:-|

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You'd think a battery change would be straight-forward.

It isn't. I would guess that MOST places do not put a battery in correctly, and even more don't use Swiss batterys. I watch my watch guy swap the battery in my wife's watches. Mine are all mechanical.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My new watchmaker identified what needed replacing and ordered it. With his labor, it will come to $225 to get fixed. I am keeping my fingers crossed that that is all it needs.

Without a receipt or anything, I don't have any legal options but I am planning on writing a very stern letter to that jewelery store.

Bob

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
That sucks. Well at least they still work with proper battery change.
Hopefully no other damages were done.
Lesson learned. The hard way, always the ones that cost us $$$. :(
Its difficult to find good local watchmakers who are competent and yet reasonable in cost.

Good luck, hope alls good with your babies.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how could they be so incompetent and just plain stupid?
EXACTLY!

That's why I had no problem just dropping off my watches without a receipt or anything, it was such a trivial procedure. I just wish I had joined WUS a week earlier, I would have known better.

Bob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts