WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
That's really bad <|

I would definately write the letter in the strongest terms, but as you have no receipt and you didn't take your watch back to them to rectify it, I very much doubt they'll do anything apart from write you a lame letter back saying sorry or something!!

They more than likely do have someone who knows how to change a battery and fit the correct one properly.......you just didn't get that person that day unfortunately :-(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One more reason to diy.
Bingo.

I have taken my watches to Sears and Dakota for a battery change and never had a problem. Never a Tag or Omega, but I do trust them and they do it right in front of you while you wait.

Now, I trust no one and replace all of my batteries myself, except for a couple of watches that have snap-on case backs. I'm just not comfortable with a case knife and potentially damaging the watches.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
To DIY is beneficial from the point of cost, but usually if you do it at an AD or a proper watchmaker, they will replace the seal if necessary, and test the WR.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally got it back from the watchmaker in perfect working order.

It turned out to be a $225 battery change.....

Bob

Reactions: filthyj24

·
Registered
126 Posts
225 for a battery? I've got a quartz tag thats had a battery put into it a month ago. I was upset it cost me $16 and I just looked at it and its stopped. If my brother hadn't gotten me the watch i would have sold it off long ago. Funny enough, its the most expensive watch I've got.

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
Finally got it back from the watchmaker in perfect working order.

It turned out to be a $225 battery change.....

Bob
Very nice looking watch |>

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
225 for a battery? I've got a quartz tag thats had a battery put into it a month ago. I was upset it cost me $16 and I just looked at it and its stopped. If my brother hadn't gotten me the watch i would have sold it off long ago. Funny enough, its the most expensive watch I've got.
Read the first post in the thread to see why I consider it a $225 battery change.

The short version is it needed a battery, I brought it to a jeweler, after 2 weeks it stopped working, took it to a watchmaker who showed me they put the wrong battery in and it broke a chip or two. To have the watch repaired cost me $225.

Bob

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
To the OP, don't beat yourself up. Consider it a lesson learned; one that many on this website have learned as well at one point or another.

mike.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Since this thread has been resurrected I'll add a bit of info I found out the hard way. I have a watch that uses the same movement. The proper battery for the full size Seamaster is the 371. When I received this watch it had a 395 installed which is a few millimeters thicker.

I replaced the 395 with the recommended 371 and noticed it was losing time which is unacceptable for a high end quartz watch in my opinion. Turns out the smaller 371 would constantly lose contact in the movement causing the watch to lose power. I put a fresh 395 in and have had zero issues.

I read on Omega forums that the thicker battery can damage the movement but I think it may just be an abundance of caution. Either way, I'm happy with the watch and do all my own battery changes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
SÖNER - Square watches (Tank)
874 Posts
You cannot imagine how angry I am. Let me give you the backstory...

A couple of months ago I noticed my 12 year old Omega Seamaster battery running low. I had let my watch collection languish and I really didn't pay attention to my other watches other than wearing a different one every month or so. But when the Omega battery stopped, I realized my Tag had needed a battery for about a year so I figured I'd just drop both of them off at some jewelers and have him pop a battery them.

Now this all happened before I joined WUS. I'm talking about, like, a week. You have no idea how I am kicking myself about this...

Anyway, I take my Omega and Tag to work with the plan of finding a jewelery shop when I leave for lunch.

I find Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), stop in and ask them to change the batteries for my two watches. The manager tells me that it will take two hours (I found that a little strange, but whatever...) so I agree and leave the watches.

Oh yes. Did I leave my name? A phone number? Did I get a receipt? ANYTHING on paper?

No. Of course not. I just left my watches there trusting they would do the right thing.

When I returned and received my watches, my Omega appeared fine but my Tag was not working at all. I pointed out that the Tag was not working and they simply said 'It was fine after we put the battery in, there must be something wrong with it".

After going back to work, I mentioned this to a fellow watch buff and he said he had a good watchmaker and would have him look at my Tag.

My co-worker's watchmaker discovered that they had "put the battery in backward and shorted it out" . The watchmaker put a correct
battery in and it's been fine ever since.

But that is not the end of the story, it gets worse.

Two weeks after the battery was put in the Omega, it stopped working. There was no way I was going to bring it to those boneheads at Roberts Jewelers so my co-worker again suggested his watchmaker.

Tonight we went there and he showed us what had happened. The incompetent morons at Roberts Jewelers put the wrong sized battery in the watch. When he disassembled the watch, he showed us the current
battery and showed us the proper battery. I should have taken a pic, there was at LEAST a 2mm difference. As such it caused a couple of chips in the watch to crack.

So. Because I took my watch to an incompetent jeweler like Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), I have to pay >$200 for a freakin' battery.

Bob
Man I feel for you ☹
Did you ever told Robert’s Jewelry about it?

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
You cannot imagine how angry I am. Let me give you the backstory...

A couple of months ago I noticed my 12 year old Omega Seamaster battery running low. I had let my watch collection languish and I really didn't pay attention to my other watches other than wearing a different one every month or so. But when the Omega battery stopped, I realized my Tag had needed a battery for about a year so I figured I'd just drop both of them off at some jewelers and have him pop a battery them.

Now this all happened before I joined WUS. I'm talking about, like, a week. You have no idea how I am kicking myself about this...

Anyway, I take my Omega and Tag to work with the plan of finding a jewelery shop when I leave for lunch.

I find Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), stop in and ask them to change the batteries for my two watches. The manager tells me that it will take two hours (I found that a little strange, but whatever...) so I agree and leave the watches.

Oh yes. Did I leave my name? A phone number? Did I get a receipt? ANYTHING on paper?

No. Of course not. I just left my watches there trusting they would do the right thing.

When I returned and received my watches, my Omega appeared fine but my Tag was not working at all. I pointed out that the Tag was not working and they simply said 'It was fine after we put the battery in, there must be something wrong with it".

After going back to work, I mentioned this to a fellow watch buff and he said he had a good watchmaker and would have him look at my Tag.

My co-worker's watchmaker discovered that they had "put the battery in backward and shorted it out" . The watchmaker put a correct
battery in and it's been fine ever since.

But that is not the end of the story, it gets worse.

Two weeks after the battery was put in the Omega, it stopped working. There was no way I was going to bring it to those boneheads at Roberts Jewelers so my co-worker again suggested his watchmaker.

Tonight we went there and he showed us what had happened. The incompetent morons at Roberts Jewelers put the wrong sized battery in the watch. When he disassembled the watch, he showed us the current
battery and showed us the proper battery. I should have taken a pic, there was at LEAST a 2mm difference. As such it caused a couple of chips in the watch to crack.

So. Because I took my watch to an incompetent jeweler like Roberts Jewelry of Westbury NY (http://robertsjewelryofwestbury.com), I have to pay >$200 for a freakin' battery.

Bob
This happened to me! The Omega story.

I was in China, at an Omega boutique of all things. Got the battery done - watch worked. Back in Australia it stopped. I contacted Omega, they got me to visit their authorised service agent.

Omega China also put the wrong size battery in. Lucky I kept the Chinese receipt so I didn't pay twice.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
AND it took them two hours to do such genius work!o|
maybe it is their common procedure seeing "the guy with two watches and an omega" why not messed up his Omega movt during battery change, for 2 hrs, then he will come back to us again to complain about it. Then we will be super helpful to inform him the reason of the problem because he got a damaged movt, then we will tell him it will take him XYZ amount of money to get his watch fixed by us. Then we will make more money than just a battery change. Those morons know nothing about watches.

It can happen.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts