WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking many of those watches over.

I'm liking them overall, but no particular one grabs me. Some are just a tad too busy, or cluttered, or just not my gig.

One did ping off me, though, the Supermarine Spitfire:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/imag...cc26-4a1b-b8ac-838ab285b130._CB293326025_.jpg

It has a sort of retro looks to it a find appealing, and apparently they come with a Ronda 515.24 movement. Are those solid movements?

Actually, I may have to take one of my objections back. Their Curtiss Tomahawk display watchface is hideously busy but doesn't repel me.

·
Premium Member
41,298 Posts
^ for what reasons would you classify them as a 'fashion brand'. I'm curious mainly because that's often used in a derogatory way, not that it necessary should be. Why are they more so a fashion brand than many other of the smaller brands we see?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
^ for what reasons would you classify them as a 'fashion brand'. I'm curious mainly because that's often used in a derogatory way, not that it necessary should be. Why are they more so a fashion brand than many other of the smaller brands we see?
It was not intended as a knock, more as a way to identify where on the scale they fit. As to why, it is the hype advertising with dubious claims (revolutionary vertical date indicator!) and spotty QA (NIB Watch returned when second hand fell off, replacement watch also broken with loose bits inside the case). I would expect this type of thing of a fashion brand that is simply marketing someone else's product with a new logo. Visually they are appealing and have a comfortable spot in the aviation niche.

FWIW: The Burberry watch (definitely a fashion brand) I bought for my wife ranks up there in quality, fit and finish with my Hamiltons, Ancon and others, so fashion brand does not need to be a pejorative.

Just my $0.02 of course, others can (and probably will) disagree :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've seen these show up a lot on website like Gilt, and often for large discounts. Keep in mind watches can be made to look incredibly good (or bad) in pictures with the right lighting. If you are seriously interested then go ahead and purchase from a source that you can return from. Only after seeing it in person and trying it on can you judge if it's worth wearing and if it feels "solid" enough to keep. But to be honest I think you would get a much better watch by looking at more "popular brands" that are more talked about and have their own forums on this website even if in the same price range. Good luck

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm a fan of AVI-8. I have found them to have excellent fit and finish with a nice blend of brushed and polished surfaces. The dials have nice textures and layers and are unique. In hand (and on wrist) they have a solid, quality feel well beyond their price point. Of the six that I have purchased, only one had to be exchanged because the chronograph second hand was misaligned, so quality control has not been a problem in my experience.

For the prices I paid -- ranging from about $95 to $160 -- I couldn't be happier. They have recently dramatically raised the prices on their own website and I wouldn't pay that much. But Amazon prices are still great and the occasional lightning deals are true bargains.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had one, the Harrier I believe and it was nice. The hands aligned well with the indices. If you inspected the case closely you could find small blems in the machining but you'd need a loupe so not a big deal to me at the price. The only reason I flipped it was because of its size, too big for my taste.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think I read that they are owned by one of the watch bloggers. A Blog to Watch or something?
They made a collaboration model with Worn & Wound but are not owned by them.

I saw a review a while back that said it was owned by a Hong Kong company that also owns CCCP and Thomas Earnshaw.
If you look at the model numbering system of all three brands, it's pretty obvious.

Edit: Found it:
Here's a link to the review and a screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I picked up a hawker hurricane off an Amazon lightening deal a couple of years ago. I like it for what it is, an inexpensive quartz with an interesting design. Strangely enough, I have received more compliments on this than any of my much more expensive pieces.

To echo eblackmo, quality matched my expectations for the price point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I bought one on a lightning deal from Amazon because I like their designs . It was a good looking watch for the price but it had no lume on the hour and minute hand. Lume was on the numbers on the dial. I sent it back and got a refund . The WandW version would be my only AVI-8 purchase if the price was lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
100% Chinese but if you keep it below $100 I think they're a good value. It's one of those "brands" like Ballast, Earnshaw, Theorama, Velocitech, Rothenschild etc. Not exactely a mushroom, but getting suspiciously close. :p EDIT: Actually, these are all mushroom brands. Not just close, but full on mushroom. Fake brand history, lots of flowery marketing and massively inflated prices but always for sale at a huge discount.

Here's mine, bought it for $70, which I think is a good deal for a watch with a Miyota automatic movement, stainless case and a good quality leather nato.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
100% Chinese but if you keep it below $100 I think they're a good value. It's one of those "brands" like Ballast, Earnshaw, Theorama, Velocitech, Rothenschild etc. Not exactely a mushroom, but getting suspiciously close. :p EDIT: Actually, these are all mushroom brands. Not just close, but full on mushroom. Fake brand history, lots of flowery marketing and massively inflated prices but always for sale at a huge discount.

Here's mine, bought it for $70, which I think is a good deal for a watch with a Miyota automatic movement, stainless case and a good quality leather nato.
I certainly agree about the marketing and brand history. A perfect example is the "About Us" page that says nothing about them.

About Us - AVI-8 USA

But I believe they have successfully extracted themselves from the mushroom category by selling directly on their US site with no mention of those ridiculous list prices. Those inflated prices still shown on Amazon may be evidence of mushroom beginnings but, let's face it, almost everything on Amazon has an inflated list price! They also have an actual physical presence in the US with a NYC mailing address and a Massachusetts shipping facility along with real customer service that actually responds personally to email.

With the ease of selling on Amazon and eBay, I believe it's getting harder to distinguish between a "mushroom" and a "start-up." And everyone who wants to make a living in manufacturing and retail will have their product produced in China.

At least AVI-8 hasn't taken to giving away samples to generate hundreds of "unbiased" Amazon reviews.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.