WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got this vintage amphibian on the way. Not sure if it runs and it needs some case cleaning. Can't wait.

Seller's pic
3.JPG

What do you all think?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the second comment about the gear bezel. You guys like it very much? I like the other kind, coin-edge, I think they're called.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I have one just like that on it's way to me as well, and I'm excited to receive it because I've been looking for it for quite some time. The 470 Amphibia is my favorite style and the white dial is nice and simple. Like schnurrp, I'm quite sure it will get a lot of wrist time with me. Good choice!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Phillyj,
This watch imho has one of the best dial designs amphibians ever had. Black arabic numerals on white background, luminious hour dots and seconds markers, and luminious hands with black frames. And that gear bezel adorns the octagonal case indeed. I have two similar watches in my humble collection, I have both of them had serviced. Meanwhile, they have anti magnetic shields under the casebacks. Here is one of them:

Cheers,

Constantine

Reactions: OKEAH

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Phillyj,

Cheers,

Constantine
Very nice. I like the rubber strap. I think I may get one of those for this watch. I wonder if I should get new rubber seals from Zenitar or just use some silicone grease on the old seals?

·
Registered
561 Posts
İf you want your watch to be waterproof it is best to renew the gaskets . Actually 25-30 year old gaskets are not so reliable items if someone wants to swim or dive with the watch.
Very nice. I like the rubber strap. I think I may get one of those for this watch. I wonder if I should get new rubber seals from Zenitar or just use some silicone grease on the old seals?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
bad news, guys. I think something is broken. I try to wind it and the second hand starts to spin like crazy. I opened it up and it looks like the balance wheel is not doing anything when it it wound up a bit. Hmm, is it fixable or do I need a new movement?

Actually, when wound up, all the hands move so fast. I guess balance wheel is not functioning correctly?

1 more thing: No anti-magnetic shield, and no movment spacer ring. The movement is not marked so I'll get a pic up for you all to figure out.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
If I were in your position I would take pictures to show the seller, and hopefully get a partial refund. The parts required to get it going again - perhaps with the exception of the antimagnetic cap - should be easy enough to obtain, so I feel you should hang on to it as a basis of a good build.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Seele, the watch was cheap and part of a watch lot. I doubt the seller knows what he was selling. It wasn't advertised as working. I took a gamble and it's cheap enough for me to work on. Nothing lost. I guess I'll post on the parts thread once I figure out what I need

Edit: Looked back at the ebay listing. It was listed as a parts lot. I assumed Boctoks were bulletproof so this might be in okay condition. Not bad though.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I agree with Sam, that shouldn't have been overlooked by a halfway competent seller. I do see, on occasion, a 'six pack' of watches sold as 'parts' on eBay....that would be a good source if one or two of them are an Antimagnetic. That's too cool a watch to not try and fix. If you can't get any cooperation from the seller, usually a bad feedback gets things going...the last time I got a bad watch, I had to do the same thing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took some quick pics. Kinda tired of uploading many photos so I made collages (I'm kinda addicted to collages now). Check out the bracelet that came with it. Is that the Poljot symbol? Third pic is the movement. See anything of interest or do I have to take it apart for more answers?

out_amph.jpg

brace_amphi.jpg

amph_movt.jpg

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
phillyj,

First of all I am salivating over that bracelet! It's Raketa and as sweet as can be. :p

Judging from the pictures the movement ring is there, otherwise the movement would bounce around inside the case. The movement does not seem to have anything obviously missing or broken either, a service should get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Yep, that is a sweet Raketa bracelet! I bet Sam is lusting over it right now and is trying to figure out what he can trade you for it right now.....and I wouldn't blame him a bit! You don't see many of those, heck it's worth more than the watch in the condition the watch is in! :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
phillyj,

First of all I am salivating over that bracelet! It's Raketa and as sweet as can be. :p
Encouraged by your excitement, I took the bracelet and put it on my Komandirskie. Well, unless you have the wrists of a naked mole-rat, you will greatly dislike it. It was a hair-puller bracelet. And it hurts. Hey, you want it? You can have it. If I ever need any parts, this looks good for a trade.

It looks nice but I don't think I can wear it.

By the way, what is the movement in this watch? I'm gonna see if I can find any tear down articles

·
Registered
738 Posts
form the symptoms I think that it is the escape wheel that is broken. If the watch received enough shock for the escape wheel pivot(s) to break then the balance wheel pivots are very likely broken too. Could be that someone tried to tinker with the movement and broke the escape wheel though. movement is a vostok 2409(a?).

I just looked at the movement picture again and it is also missing the seconds hand pinion spring

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
form the symptoms I think that it is the escape wheel that is broken. If the watch received enough shock for the escape wheel pivot(s) to break then the balance wheel pivots are very likely broken too. Could be that someone tried to tinker with the movement and broke the escape wheel though. movement is a vostok 2409(a?).

I just looked at the movement picture again and it is also missing the seconds hand pinion spring
I saw the escape wheel spinning fast but the balance wheel was not moving. So the movement is shot? No fixing? If the pivots are broken, then its not replaceable like a gear is, right?

What's the second hand pinion spring? Is it a long arm the fills the channel above the crown wheel and extends to the pinion above the center wheel?

Boy, looks like its going to cost more than what I paid to fix it up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts