WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah... so I have apparently become more sensitive to nickel and now I am basically allergic to my dozen~ seiko and citizen dive watches... this fact is not filling me with much joy...

I haven't worn a watch in several days and my wrist still has this going on

Oh well..sometimes u roll them dice and come up snake eyes I guess..

Super irritating (get it??)

My wife shot down the Ti Tudor idea and wasn't super excited about the rather less expensive shogun either...

Not sure what I wanna do at this point.. I really like my watches..but I can't wear them now...

It is extra lame because I just got this one...which cost about what I paid for the xterra behind it ..the xterra was used when I got it and I got a friendly deal on it from a buddy...but still

Basically ****...

Registered
Casio F-91W
Wonder if warmer temperature and humidity exacerbates the sensitivity.

Quick fix is wrap a bandana on your wrist and unlock the divers extension.

Registered
Nice excuse to add some Ti watches to the collection...but wife is not buying.

Joking aside, the human body is a mysterious thing. For some allergies you grow into or develop but just as odd, you can also grow out of allergies by forcing the body to just accept it. There is anocdotal evidence of this and I have first hand account.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder if warmer temperature and humidity exacerbates the sensitivity.

Quick fix is wrap a bandana on your wrist and unlock the divers extension.
The warmer weather doesn't help this at all... but I think I'm basically hosed now.. I've always been allergic to nickel I have just been able to tolerate 316L in the past.. I guess last summer I got a few little red dots on my arm.... but nothing like this Going to have to do something like the bandana to wear them at all now..

Consider wearing them on a bund strap at least the watch will not be touching your skin and then you will still be able to enjoy them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
yeah the bund strap isn't going to work for me.. I'm not a fan of them at all.. I'm going to have to get a Ti watch basically..

Nice excuse to add some Ti watches to the collection...but wife is not buying.

Joking aside, the human body is a mysterious thing. For some allergies you grow into or develop but just as odd, you can also grow out of allergies by forcing the body to just accept it. There is anocdotal evidence of this and I have first hand account.
unfortunately the wife was already a bit annoyed with that SPB105 buy... She is not amused... at this point.. I need to ponder my options a bit, I'm not sure if the reaction will calm down enough to wear these later? I do have some options as basically most of these watches are worth more now than I paid... I'm not sure if will can triumph over the nickel allergy, my dad has the same thing but is super stubborn and wears a Timex he is allergic to and the reaction just keeps happening.. I guess he puts benadryl or some cream on the spot where it reacts to the watch and kinda ~ keeps a lid on it.. but it has been years and he still has a reaction to that stupid watch..... I just gave up suggesting changing the situation, my dad is the most stubborn person I have ever met.

I'm not really down for that myself... I don't believe the reaction would ever stop anyways.. I may try to get some NATO's with Ti hardware and see if that works? I may just give up and clean house and get 1 or 2 Ti watches and call it a day.

Registered
Deleted redundant comment about NATO strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not entirely holding my breath but my wife bought me this supposedly nickel allergy blocking cream (it is supposed to absorb any free nickel before it gets to your skin?? .. I guess?) from France apparently.. If it works ??? guess I'll find out..

Registered
That's a bummer. I am pretty sensitive to nickel too, but can usually get away with 316. I don't do well with 904 (Rolex). When I was a kid I had a timex that gave me trouble, and my parents put moleskin on the back of it. Not suggesting that but you could maybe try some clear vinyl on the back of the watch and a rubber strap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx for the ideas guys.. I tried the clear nail polish.. however didn't seem to work.. I may need to have put more on?... not sure... for the moment I'm trying to get the reaction to clam down .... as it is hard to tell what works / doesn't while the reaction is already present..

Premium Member
May be more due to heat and humidity than the Nickel. See an allergist.

Premium Member
Carbon fiber watch like the RZR on Kickstart?

Do DLC coated watches help?

Just suggestions

Registered
Could be other factors if this just appeared out of the blue. I had ringworm start underneath my watch due to the humidity and it's ability to thrive there. It was gross. See a dermatologist before you give up on the watches.

Registered
One option is to go away from wearing metal entirely for a while - wear a bund on the back of the watch so it doesn't contact your skin and stick with leather straps (or alternatively a nato with a bund of some sort - I think there are nylon bunds on Strapsco.com ) .

That way you have your body stop having the reaction.

Similar things happen to bakers regularly - where they're in contact with flour so much that they develop a reaction to wheat.

Sometimes stopping the contact entirely for a period of time (sometimes a year or more, honestly), you'll stop having the reaction and can go back to wearing metal. It's the only thing I can think that might help.

Reactions: atarione

Premium Member
That is a total bummer. I have a nickel sensitivity and eczema. So far watches (316l/904l) have been fine. I can imagine pvd-coated watches, titanium and gold (and some precious metals) will be fine. I鈥檓 sorry you鈥檙e going through that.

Reactions: atarione

Registered
Ti would be the natural choice...go for a Citizen Satellite Wave...easily funded by liquidating one of your newly allergic watches

Registered
I had the exact same thing happen on my wrist when I started wearing a new canvas strap with a shiny buckle. I continued to wear it and it eventually got really itchy and red all over. I stopped wearing any watch for like 2 or 3 weeks and it eventually healed up. But ever since then I could wear all my watches again withtout any problems. I don't know what happened but that canvas strap is fine now.

My suggestion is that a few days is not enough. Don't wear any watch for at least 3 weeks or until all signs of redness are gone.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts