WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I was looking at a UK jeweller website that sells watches also. They sell a lot of Seiko and Citizen Watches and other fashion watches. The company is H Samuel. As I was scrolling I noticed this watch... look very familiar to you?

2015-04-22 14.16.53.jpg Can anyone see a lawsuit happening soon? Heard Swiss Legend had to pay a few million as they had a watch similar in the past also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
audemars-piguet_26178ok-oo-d002ca.jpg For those who don't get what I mean... well here's the AP RO Offshore.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'm sorry.....I see no outstanding attempt to copy the R O.....They are totally different watches.....in my opinion...:think:

·
Premium Member
64,774 Posts
I can't see the board of Seiko Epson loosing a deal of sleep over it. Even if AP did sue the similarities are rather tenuous and Pulsar could well win.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
There are very rough similarities. I can see an AP lawyer calling a witness to the stand who will claim: "I went in wanting to buy an AP chronograph but purchased a Pulsar one instead. I left thinking I got a very good deal, but instead I am a victim of very deceptive marketing"!

heb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, certainly looks like a copycat and I immediately thought of the Swiss Legend that I was looking at a few years ago!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Can anyone see a lawsuit happening soon?
Are you not familiar with the many, many, many "homage" watches out there? Your example isn't even remotely the closest to an expensive original. If no-one gets sued for all their-near exact submariner clones, I don't see this Pulsar being a problem.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Looks very close, but homages is a normal thing.

·
Premium Member
14,952 Posts
Are you not familiar with the many, many, many "homage" watches out there? Your example isn't even remotely the closest to an expensive original. If no-one gets sued for all their-near exact submariner clones, I don't see this Pulsar being a problem.
That's a very good point. Makes you wonder why Rolex hasn't pursued this court...

The lawsuit AP won seemed to focus on the octagonal bezel.
If AP prevailed on those grounds (don't know the specifics of the case one way or another) then it really makes you wonder about Rolex's chances in court.

Maybe they're just not that litigious...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
That's a very good point. Makes you wonder why Rolex hasn't pursued this court...
Because they can't. It's illegal to make a watch that pretends to be a Rolex, but it's not illegal to make a watch that sure looks an awful lot like a Rolex. Rolex would have to prove intent to deceive (or at least the likelihood of confusion), which sure isn't going to be there on any watch with a giant "Invicta" on the dial.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts

If AP prevailed on those grounds (don't know the specifics of the case one way or another) then it really makes you wonder about Rolex's chances in court.

Maybe they're just not that litigious...
There is maybe enough 'prior art' on Rolex design elements that they aren't considered exclusive, plus no design trademark enforcement means they have no case really. Kinda sad. But Rolex is aggressive in defending its logo trademarks. So it could depend on their priorities.

With the AP case it seems to be roughly that they have protected specific design elements (octagonal bezel with screws) from the beginning.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Because they can't. It's illegal to make a watch that pretends to be a Rolex, but it's not illegal to make a watch that sure looks an awful lot like a Rolex. Rolex would have to prove intent to deceive (or at least the likelihood of confusion), which sure isn't going to be there on any watch with a giant "Invicta" on the dial.
Actually in the US and other countries "trade dress" (the way a product looks) can also be protected under certain circumstances. Cartier had some success with a German suit against Raymond Weil on that basis. Cartier?s Injunction Against Raymond Weil -- The Cut.

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,616 Posts
For those who don't get what I mean... well here's the AP RO Offshore.
Rather than just posting another picture why don't you tell us the specific reasons you feel the Pulsar design is worthy of a lawsuit. Take a paragraph or two but please point to exact features that are unique only to the AP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts