WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I own a bird which tends to be a horrible idea in some cases. I bought a new watch recently,

LSS : Bird ended up popping the watch stem out of my watch and by the time I had realized it was too late and the stem was nowhere to be found, My local jewlers are known to upcharge everything and I was hoping someone would be able to help in being able to tell me how to get a replacement stem that would work for this watch. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

(Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Stem should be easy to find as long as you know what the caliber is inside. The crown will be the hard part to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Joey The Third...Hello.

You'll need to do a little research here: some watches show the movement caliber on the case back. Do a search online and see if yours does. Otherwise, try to find an image of what you have, and see if the Caliber is listed there.

Ebay has many stems and crowns for many watches...but, you need to know what you're looking for!

If you plan on doing this yourself, consider, too, that some casebacks are AMAZINGLY tight...and cannot be opened without a proper wrench.

So: it seems that you might want to find a shop that'll do all this for you. It's a very easy piece of work, with the right material on hand.

If this were my watch, I'd plan on spending about $30 USD on the whole deal: $10 @ stem / $10 @ crown / $10 @ S&H. That's assuming that generic parts are available...if you need / want Original, well...I have no idea what that could add up to !

Once again: an easy job, once you get everything together, or find a shop that will do good work at an Honest Price.

Michael.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If this bird was able to rip the stem out of your watch there may be more damage to the internals as well. The setting lever may have be bent or the stud could be broken and fallen into the movement. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this bird was able to rip the stem out of your watch there may be more damage to the internals as well. The setting lever may have be bent or the stud could be broken and fallen into the movement. Just something to think about.
This also isn't the first time this has happened,He's pulled the stem out of one of my presage Seiko's and I was able to find the stem then and easily able to pop it back in. Usually when he does it, the way his beak is formed allows him to easily pop it straight out so I hope there isn't any internal damage, (Atleast there wasn't with my seiko) but I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As someone who used to own a cockatoo, I can relate.
Same kind of bird actually, it's a pain in the ass and this bird has broken thousands of dollars in personal items, but at the same time I've grown to love him a lot over the last 3 years and kind of look past the monetary part of owning one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joey The Third...Hello.

You'll need to do a little research here: some watches show the movement caliber on the case back. Do a search online and see if yours does. Otherwise, try to find an image of what you have, and see if the Caliber is listed there.

Ebay has many stems and crowns for many watches...but, you need to know what you're looking for!

If you plan on doing this yourself, consider, too, that some casebacks are AMAZINGLY tight...and cannot be opened without a proper wrench.

So: it seems that you might want to find a shop that'll do all this for you. It's a very easy piece of work, with the right material on hand.

If this were my watch, I'd plan on spending about $30 USD on the whole deal: $10 @ stem / $10 @ crown / $10 @ S&H. That's assuming that generic parts are available...if you need / want Original, well...I have no idea what that could add up to !

Once again: an easy job, once you get everything together, or find a shop that will do good work at an Honest Price.

Michael.
On the back it just notes model no. and that it's a Mecha-quartz seiko movement, no specific caliber no. Appreciate the tips!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Odd that they're claiming a mecha-quartz movement in a standard 3 hand watch.

Regardless, first stop should be to email the company's customer support to see if they'll supply parts direct to you. Many smaller makers will if they actually hold spares in the first place.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unless you’re able to find a stem for that exact caliber and case combination then the stem will probably be too long and need to be trimmed to the correct length.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts