WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my style at all, but what about the rest of you guys? For me i don't like that shape of case.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I won't be buying it, but I have warmed up to the case shape. Weirdly enough, like the Rados with a similar case shape, it probably looks much better on the wrist than off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Its too ugly to spend that kind of money on, you can get a 300m SMP bond for the same price tag.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If I had the money, which I don't, I'd get one to go with my Speedy pro and X-33.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Don't love it, but heck I didn't love the new PO when they came out and now I think they are truly amazing. Designs tend to grow on me when they are far out. I think this will do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
I don't know if my wrist can handle it (53mm L-t-L), but I would love to try one on and see. It's right up my space geek alley! :-d

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I love the movement, the functionality and the ana/digi display that it brings. I don't mind the general Flightmaster shape of case. I cannot stand the fact that it is so large and thick. There is no way I could or would wear a 20mm thick watch. I'm also not too hot on the Spacemaster name. It's a bit too too toylike or "Battlestar Gallactica" for my liking.

If Omega bring out a watch with this movement in a 40-42mm diameter round or cushion case, I would certainly consider it. Funnily enough, I've found myself warming to the Breitling Aerospace of late. An Omega in that guise would be great.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not in this lifetime. What a fugly looking 70's throwback.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Honestly, there are aspects of it that are intriguing, but for that kind of money I would likely go with an original vintage Flightmaster in near-perfect condition. Probably would also go the X-33 route as well.

Reactions: izwaniimc

·
Registered
919 Posts
I really think Omega missed the mark with the z-33. I think the case is Ok. It's cool in a retro kind of way. My biggest problems are with the dial. I don't think the thin hands work on that big, heavy case. I understand that they're meant to be unobtrusive so that they don't block the digital display below, but it just doesn't look right to me. I do like the function that moves the hands out of the way at the press of a button though. I also don't like the two windows that are cut into the dial for the digital display. One of the coolest features of the x-33 is the fact that the dial just looks like a regular analog dial when the digital display isn't on. It's a much more creative design, IMO. I always thought ana-digi watches like the Breitling emergency looked sloppy because of that awkward difference between the digital display and the rest of the dial. It's a shame that Omega moved in that direction with the z-33.

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts
Yes. I'm afraid I probably will as soon as I have the opportunity to hold one. :-(

The seed has been planted ... and it's growing. ;-)

·
6,880 Posts
Don't love it, but heck I didn't love the new PO when they came out and now I think they are truly amazing. Designs tend to grow on me when they are far out. I think this will do the same.
Funny how that works...I'm the same way.

I WANT to like the Z-33 (I'm a huge fan of the X-33) but it's just too thick...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would find it strange if Omega didn't do something with this new, thermocompensated quartz movement other than putting it in (to my eyes) a niche watch which I don't see selling in particularly large numbers, especially with it being available only in boutiques at the moment. I think we may see it in another watch in the future that is less opinion polarising in design.

There is a nice presentation with an interactive Z-33 on Omega's website: OMEGA Watches: Speedmaster Spacemaster Z-33

Oh, and I think this thread could do with some pictures of the "beast":

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Metal Strap Fashion accessory Titanium Watch
watchonista.com

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
watchprosite.com

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Please refrain from calling the z-33 the "beast", The "Beast" and/or the "Kraken" as we all know is taken, it is the PloProf:

At the most you can call the Z the "Girth" or the "Thing" or "The last letter in the alphabet" but if your going to rip off a watch's nick name, call it: "The Sumo" and then watch as millions of Seiko fanatics rip you apart/go crazy :D

Hope that helped in clearing things up. I don't get why its so thick in the end, I'm assuming the quartz movement is no biger than the normal one you can find in any other quartz?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Please refrain from calling the z-33 the "beast", The "Beast" and/or the "Kraken" as we all know is taken, it is the PloProf:

At the most you can call the Z the "Thing" or "The last letter in the alphabet" but if your going to rip off a watch's nick name, call it: "The Sumo" and then watch as millions of Seiko fanatics rip you apart :S

Hope that helped in clearing things up.
Haha, my mistake. The "Thing" it is then ;-)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts