WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Sigh] I bought my first G-Shock [it hasn't arrived yet...]. People here said 'Bet you can't stop at one...'. I said 'Pshaw...'.:roll:

But I start looking at vendors and the apparently endless variety of watches, and start to freak out a little at how much technology you can get for so little money. Then I think 'Well, if I _must_ have a high-tech watch, why not go all the way?'...and I start looking at the Solar/Atomic watches....:p

Okay...I really like the Giez GS1100...its features are a lot like the automatic watches I'm normally so fond of.

The AWG100 has all the features I really want [analog hands are a must] and costs roughly half as much.

Now the money is not so much an object here...either watch is within my affordable range. Can anybody give me some good reasons to prefer one of these watches over the other? I gather the Giez has a stainless steel case while the AWG is all resin...what else is there to know? Does anybody out there have either or both of these watches with some definite opinions?

Thanks much in advance [I'm sooo lost....].

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My thoughts on the AWG101-1A are located here

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Hi Token,

My opinion is that you recently got an ana-digi (I remember your thread before this one), so why not go for a full-analog G-Shock this time? Go for the GIEZ. :)

Coming from mostly mechanicals as you do, I think it's great that you decided to try solar/atomic. :-!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
the AWG-100 got at least an LED for illumination (still far from good and rather suboptimal, but at least...), while the GIEZ got nothing. hands/markers lume is among the worst one can get on both watches, so if you plan to wear and use the watch a lot in the night/darkness, simply forget about it.

regards, holger

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I prefer the Giez but then I never had the other model.

The Giez 1000s are better I think. The 1100s need the primary hands to move to show the 2nd timezone and alarm. 1000s have the time showing on the primary hand during all functions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have GS-1100-1A, and I'm quite happy with it. I like it much more than AWG100, and hands lume isn't that bad. GS1100 is more expensive, but that is GIEZ - excellent mechanism, material and design. I don't mind the fact that you need some time to shift between functions. If I want speed, I would go for full digital.
AWG100 seems to me ... somehow childish with these digi-circles (they would look better with reverse display), but since I'm over 35, maybe I'm out of trend.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I have a awg 100 and like it very much. i can read the digital dials. i could not read the sub dials on the giez. as far as reverse display they also have a model with reverse display the awg 101 photo attached.i dont think the watch looks childish. there are many different styles and colors for different people.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Personally, I think almost any G-shock has a certain 'childishness' to it. That's not always a bad thing, though. They're kind of the antithesis of the Rolex club.

Having said all that, my first and foremost opinion is that I agree with Holger - I wouldn't get one due to there being insufficient lume/lighting. If I had to choose one though..... I'm leaning towards the Giez for style.

·
7,504 Posts
I owned an AWG-101 (the negative LCD Display version) and I own a Giez, and I'll throw my opinions into the mix.....

The AWG-101 was a fine looking piece. It looked like a Giez-lite. I liked the coloring, and the negative display, and felt it was highly functional. The problem I had was, it was very light for an analog anything, 4 screw design on the back. When the minute hand was at the 3, 6, or 9 o'clock positions, you couldn't read those displays, and they were not so easy to read to begin with, that really bothered me. The light on it was not that great. I returned it to the store I purchased it from 3 days later as it was not what I hoped it would be. Not a bad watch, just not what I wanted

The Giez is the watch I currently own. If you had the mechanicals or automatics analogs before, you will read the Giez just as easily at night as you did those. Thats just my experience. I find the rubber strap to be extremely comfortable. I LOVE the 5 motor design of the watch, just a nice technical feature to enjoy watching as it moves. It's extraordinary looking style wise, just look at it, the look and feel is of high quality. The dials are not that hard to read, when you know where everything is, and how to use it, you will know whats going on based on hand position. I believe this is the only G-shock with Atomic Solar features on a Screwback design please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Atomic and Solar are great features like a cherry on top :-!

It's ultimately your decision, and your money to spend. You definitely will get a lot of watch whichever you choose. Please let us know what you decide and post photos.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
another thought for the price of the giez he could have both the awg 100 and the riseman :-! for less than 300 i dont think you could beat that set

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well folks...thanks very much for all your comments.

After reading carefully [and doing my best to supress the 'new watch lust' in my heart] I am leaning heavily toward the Giez. While the possibly mediocre lume is consideration, none of the other features makes me hesitate at all. The fact that the watches I like best all have substantial steel cases definitely goes against the AWG...I wouldn't characterise it a childish, exactly, but all-plastic watches do have a toy-like quality that definitely doesn't excite me.

It will be a month or two before I spring for the Giez, all assuming I don't make other plans in the meantime...but be assured I'll be here with pictures and a big writeup when I have it in hand.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Personally, I think almost any G-shock has a certain 'childishness' to it. That's not always a bad thing, though. They're kind of the antithesis of the Rolex club.
Not sure how this G looks childish...

Well folks...thanks very much for all your comments.

After reading carefully [and doing my best to supress the 'new watch lust' in my heart] I am leaning heavily toward the Giez. While the possibly mediocre lume is consideration, none of the other features makes me hesitate at all. The fact that the watches I like best all have substantial steel cases definitely goes against the AWG...I wouldn't characterise it a childish, exactly, but all-plastic watches do have a toy-like quality that definitely doesn't excite me.

It will be a month or two before I spring for the Giez, all assuming I don't make other plans in the meantime...but be assured I'll be here with pictures and a big writeup when I have it in hand.

Thanks again...
If you have not completely made up your mind, may I suggest the MTG-1000G. Full analog, atomic solar, and looks to kill!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Not sure how this G looks childish...

If you have not completely made up your mind, may I suggest the MTG-1000G. Full analog, atomic solar, and looks to kill!

Great point shadow :) :) :) and thanks for the awsome photos. dont know why folks are going crazy on the brazilian frogs when the can get one of these for a much better price :-d :-d

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

[Sigh] Yes, that is a stupendously fine-looking watch... I found this myself surfing around...am I correct in thinking it's a but larger than the Giez? And heavier? [or is that just the weight of the bracelet?]. I also get the impression of a much more contrasty dial, which is a very good thing as well.

It will be a couple of months before I'll feel comfortable springing for another watch...I've found the Giez around $200, but the MTG, when I can find one for sale, is over $300, which takes me rather outside me comfort zone for a casual watch. I'll keep watch and see what I can find when the time comes. Thanks for the heads-up though...

·
7,504 Posts
am I correct in thinking it's a but larger than the Giez? And heavier? [or is that just the weight of the bracelet?]. I also get the impression of a much more contrasty dial, which is a very good thing as well.
The MTG is a bit larger primarily due to the face protector. I would say they are about the same weight. Reason for that is the Giez has an all stainless steel body, the MTG is a mix of Resin and Steel, and as you said the MTG bracelet evens out the weight between the two. Both are unbelievably great quality watches. You won't regret purchasing either one :-!

·
Registered
2 Posts
[Sigh] I bought my first G-Shock [it hasn't arrived yet...]. People here said 'Bet you can't stop at one...'. I said 'Pshaw...'.:roll:

But I start looking at vendors and the apparently endless variety of watches, and start to freak out a little at how much technology you can get for so little money. Then I think 'Well, if I _must_ have a high-tech watch, why not go all the way?'...and I start looking at the Solar/Atomic watches....:p

Okay...I really like the Giez GS1100...its features are a lot like the automatic watches I'm normally so fond of.

The AWG100 has all the features I really want [analog hands are a must] and costs roughly half as much.

Now the money is not so much an object here...either watch is within my affordable range. Can anybody give me some good reasons to prefer one of these watches over the other? I gather the Giez has a stainless steel case while the AWG is all resin...what else is there to know? Does anybody out there have either or both of these watches with some definite opinions?

Thanks much in advance [I'm sooo lost....].
LOVE my Giez GS1100 from the band to back. Heres the two things Neg about it. NO Backlamp or Lum for Chrono, Meaning your not chrono ing at night or in dark areas. The other is, the Chrono MIN dial is hard to read between Mins. If your at 15, 30, 45mins its an easy guess. Dual time would be nice but thats on the GS1010 I think, But you lose the 24hr Dial.
Oh, the only other thing is the Crystal Protector resin fingers are Odd looking at first. My gs1100 has been WORN, Scratched and rebuilt twice "All new Parts, Resin parts and band, Never Opened Back Yet" with the case Wet Sanded and repolished to a mirror shine. Its Amazing how good it looks after three/four years. It looks New every time. The rubber band is so soft and comfy. Would I purchase Another Giez, OH Yea! Very Classy Watch that looks the part of 500 bucks. GS1100 Ive seen sell for 160-180USD The Non Atomic/Solar Giez Battery Version is even cheaper 120-140 usd.

Go Out of find a Giez and Hold it in your Hand. You can't compare it to a resin housing.

·
Banned
223 Posts
the AWG-100 got at least an LED for illumination (still far from good and rather suboptimal, but at least...), while the GIEZ got nothing. hands/markers lume is among the worst one can get on both watches, so if you plan to wear and use the watch a lot in the night/darkness, simply forget about it.

regards, holger
The hands are marked much more clearly and with much more reflective material on the AWG-101. I picked that one for exactly this reason. It was the better choice for me.

D.J.

·
Banned
223 Posts
"The fact that the watches I like best all have substantial steel cases definitely goes against the AWG...I wouldn't characterise it a childish, exactly, but all-plastic watches do have a toy-like quality that definitely doesn't excite me."

It's mostly rubber like any of the other G-Shocks. Also it has steel parts to it, like the bezel. It's definately not childish.

Just for the record.

"have a awg 100 and like it very much. i can read the digital dials. i could not read the sub dials on the giez. as far as reverse display they also have a model with reverse display the awg 101 photo attached.i dont think the watch looks childish. there are many different styles and colors for different people. "--Agreed. Well put.

D. Jolly

·
Registered
82 Posts
the AWG-100 got at least an LED for illumination (still far from good and rather suboptimal, but at least...)
I disagree completely. The little bulb at the bottom of the watch gives it a sexy look in my opinion. Honestly, I think i like it better than the indiglo or whatever they call the green light. The bulb doubles as a low-light flashlight too :-d. Plus, i just like the styling better (i mean c'mon, i think we've all seen enough "green" in our watches nowadays, it's time for a change of scenery).

To the topic creator: I own an AWG100 and I have severe love for the watch. I like it's simplicity of styling over the GEIZ any day. Stainless steel is pretty fly and whatnot, but you're gonna bump, scrape, and otherwise deface the pretty shiny casing. Whereas a resin case is more prone to "hide" it's dings. So, in my opinion i choose the AWG over the GEIZ in both styling and durability (i'm not saying one is less durable though). Not to mention, you get solar and atomic :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts