WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have been working on reducing my watch collection to my favorites. The only watch that resisted every step was my beloved MKII Vantage, I love it. I still had a Doxa 1200T Pro though, which I loved, but it wasn't a keeper for me. So! I sold the Doxa and bought myself a long-time dream: a Kingston :) I didn't even have to compromise, as I found the exact configuration I wanted on both watch and plank kit. Now, I know I won't be critcized for my taste in watches with a Kingston purchase hehe, but, here it comes... 1. I didn't buy it from MKII, I got a brand new plank 2. I didn't even buy it on WUS!! The question is... will you guys ever forgive me!?? hahaha Will I ever be a true Kingston owner when less than 48 hrs will have passed between my transaction and receiving the watch? Please feel free to chose the punishment you see fit (as long as you don't ask me to give up my Kingston!). The watch arrives tomorrow, and pictures will follow.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Re: So... Should I be ashamed? - Kingston content -

Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Without doubt, this watch gets the most wrist time on my wrist. I'm pretty sure you'll like yours!
Menno

·
Registered
303 Posts
bought myself a long-time dream: a Kingston :)
Enjoy !
:)
You have made a great decision ... no matter how you acquired it.

Since my Kingston arrived ( after a 2+ year wait ) it has been the only watch on my wrist ...

... which means there are approx 50 other watches sitting on my shelf, not feeling the love !

Neily

·
Registered
104 Posts

If there are so many chances to buy a used/pre-owned Kingston, why not grab it?
I did the same, no need to be ashamed.

However, mine was lightly worn by two previous owners.
The case has a slight mark just onder the bezel (hardly visible) from the previous owner prying off and exchanging the bezel. The bezel is now turning either very rough or bi-directional without even clicking. Just feels wrong.
Secondly, the movement was running very fast (+40sec.) from the moment I received it… I had it demagnetized and then it ran pretty okay for a week at a steady +10sec./day.
All of a sudden it started to run very irregular with numbers all over the place (+15/day up to +70/day).
For now I put it away and will have a watchmaker check and regulate it. Maybe something's wrong with the mainspring… I dunno.

Bad luck, or bad kharma…? :)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

Don't be ashamed....it's not your fault that some folks like me are still waiting for their Kingston for more than 2 years on!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Haha, hearing this gets me even more excited about the watch! It's the right everyday size for me... I have a feeling it's going to be a winner!

Enjoy !
:)
You have made a great decision ... no matter how you acquired it.

Since my Kingston arrived ( after a 2+ year wait ) it has been the only watch on my wrist ...

... which means there are approx 50 other watches sitting on my shelf, not feeling the love !

Neily

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not bad karma I hope! hehe - well that is bad luck indeed. The bezel issue would drive me crazy, except if it was fully disclosed and reflected in the purchase price? Was it?
As for the movement, all I can say, which you probably already know, is that even a well packaged automatic can lose of it's accuracy during shipment. Nothing a trusty watchmaker can't handle. I'll admit htough... your issue seems a tad bit more complicated.

At any rate, good luck and I hope I have better luck hehe

If there are so many chances to buy a used/pre-owned Kingston, why not grab it?
I did the same, no need to be ashamed.

However, mine was lightly worn by two previous owners.
The case has a slight mark just onder the bezel (hardly visible) from the previous owner prying off and exchanging the bezel. The bezel is now turning either very rough or bi-directional without even clicking. Just feels wrong.
Secondly, the movement was running very fast (+40sec.) from the moment I received it… I had it demagnetized and then it ran pretty okay for a week at a steady +10sec./day.
All of a sudden it started to run very irregular with numbers all over the place (+15/day up to +70/day).
For now I put it away and will have a watchmaker check and regulate it. Maybe something's wrong with the mainspring… I dunno.

Bad luck, or bad kharma…? :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ah Sunster! Just when I was starting to feel better hahaha - Seriously though, that commands respect... I hope you get it before frustration puts a damper on the joy of receiving it. But you sir, will be a true proud Kingston owner ;)

Don't be ashamed....it's not your fault that some folks like me are still waiting for their Kingston for more than 2 years on!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

If Bill was still selling them and you went with an outside seller for more money, that would be one thing. You can get them from MKII so how every you can grab one is perfectly fine.

I think you will love it. If you want it to be love at first sight, open it up for the very first time outdoors or in direct sun. You will be blown away!!! I still find myself staring at it when the light grabs it oh so right.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Ah Sunster! Just when I was starting to feel better hahaha - Seriously though, that commands respect... I hope you get it before frustration puts a damper on the joy of receiving it. But you sir, will be a true proud Kingston owner ;)
bordering on too late for a few of us.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ok... It arrived!

10 Thoughts:

1. Speechless
2. Extatic
3. It is true: when you fall in love, you just know!
4. Handling the watch and the crown to set time & date, I am amazed at the crafsmanship. Everything moves as it should and better.
5. I read a couple times that the bracelet and clasp felt cheap, but I agree with the majority, it doesn't! The bracelet is thiner than on some other watches but there is no shortage of quality! The clasp is perfectly fine for me.
6. It's true, glit dial was the way to go.
7. What would I change? Nothing so far.
8. If a watch was given to me for free tomorrow, I would chose the Kingston over any more expensive watch I can think of. I'm a tool watch kind of guy so too fancy isn't for me. The Kingston really hits many marks in that respect.
9. The size is perfect for me. Wrist size: 7". Most tool watches are too big for my taste so this is a great fit.
10. Handling the watch, considering it's limited production number, how custom it was made in order to suit watch enthusiasts and that it comes with a great plank kit... the current prices the Kingstons go for lately seem completely adequate to me! Bill really priced this watch low. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Pictures to come in the next couple days of course :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

ok... It arrived!

10 Thoughts:

1. Speechless
2. Extatic
3. It is true: when you fall in love, you just know!
4. Handling the watch and the crown to set time & date, I am amazed at the crafsmanship. Everything moves as it should and better.
5. I read a couple times that the bracelet and clasp felt cheap, but I agree with the majority, it doesn't! The bracelet is thiner than on some other watches but there is no shortage of quality! The clasp is perfectly fine for me.
6. It's true, glit dial was the way to go.
7. What would I change? Nothing so far.
8. If a watch was given to me for free tomorrow, I would chose the Kingston over any more expensive watch I can think of. I'm a tool watch kind of guy so too fancy isn't for me. The Kingston really hits many marks in that respect.
9. The size is perfect for me. Wrist size: 7". Most tool watches are too big for my taste so this is a great fit.
10. Handling the watch, considering it's limited production number, how custom it was made in order to suit watch enthusiasts and that it comes with a great plank kit... the current prices the Kingstons go for lately seem completely adequate to me! Bill really priced this watch low. What do you guys think?​

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Re: So... Should I be ashamed?

The answer is yes. But not because of the Kingston ...... both you and I know why ;-)

Congrats on picking up the Kingston |> ..... I do envy you. I missed out on the Plank edition and am still waiting on my General Order, gilt all the way, #225.
Hoping it will be here before Christmas (2012)

RonB

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

3 pics taken yesterday with iphone in the office... I'll try to take better ones...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts