WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an updated dress watch. Given the choices above, what say you as to the most classic and timeless combination of materials/colors?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Traditionally dress watches had a white dial. Today - it's whatever floats your boat.
It depends on the watch ultimately - plenty of JLC or Moser watches w black dials are super dressy. And Breguet w a silver dial is considered dressy, as well as, blue dialed GO Senator.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It all depends on how you define dress watch: Business formal (suit and tie), social dressy (from button down and wool jacket to suit and tie), social formal (tuxedo and above). For the first two, pretty much everything that you can slip under your cuffs. For the third, SS or any precious metal with white face and just 3 hands and if too much, a date complication.
The first two watches below I use for business formal and social formal, the third I use for business casual and social casual. I have no dress watch as defined by purists. When in a black tie, I use the Cartier.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
It boils down to what one likes. I would be in the old fashioned / conservative group, so it would be yg + silver or white dial for me.

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My personal choices would be rose gold with a white face, and stainless with a black face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm not a "dress watch" guy but if I was going to, it'd be yellow or rose gold with a darker dial. Very classy and a good match with straps. I often see white dialed dress watches on the black or brown straps and it looks a bit iffy to me.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Count me in the silver and white camp.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
To be honest it depends on the watch's design and what it can pull off.

I am inclined to say silver on white or rose gold on black, yet the dress watch I lust after is rose gold on cream:
View attachment 5445746

I also think blue dial dress watches are the shizz

·
Registered
127 Posts
rose gold is kinda girly... silver watches pretty much dont exist. In regards to face. Black is more modern and white is more traditional, but thats really personal preference really. YELLOW GOLD RULES ALL

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It boils down to what one likes. I would be in the old fashioned / conservative group, so it would be yg + silver or white dial for me.
What he said. For a true dress watch, we're usually talking about a strap and a smaller bezel, so there isn't a lot of metal being displayed. To me, yg is the more standard metal, but all three would work nicely. I like white or silver dials, but I can't think of a yg or rg case that has silver.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Why all the hassle and the confusion? Just wear both! Add diamonds to make it even more dressier and wear 39mm to ensure it gets the nod of WUS purists.

2015-09-23 19.37.13.jpg

On a more serious note I hate to say it b..but I kinda like wearing this. I mean it's the perfect non instrusive everyday size that's elegant and slim with the benefit of being very comfortable. The diamonds depending on the person (not me) may be alright as well. Certainly more so than the 44mm below. Now heading to Ashford to see women sizes that look macho enough for a true gentleman...

2015-09-22 18.22.55.jpg

Reactions: WTSP

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was doing my bit of research to decide on a dress watch for myself. And I went for a stainless steel case (44 mm) with white dial and blued hands. I even like the rose gold with black dial combo too personally.

Another aspect which can also be considered is the color of the hands and the markings on the dial. They add to and define the character of the watch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a lot of great input - I really appreciate it. I have an older watch (white dial, roman numbers, gold case and black strap) that I still like, but would like a choice for those occasions where I am either in a tux at an event or dark suit for dinner. I am leaning toward a darker face and no date and am struggling between rose gold and silver for the case. I going to look for a simple complication like a seconds dial or moon phase, just to give it some subtle interest. On a strap of course. The bad news is some of the watches on this thread looked amazing! Now onto the terrible (!) task of choosing a specific watch. It seems that no matter what I choose, it will not be a mistake for modern times.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Rosegold bro. It's the true element of a dresswatch. Think about it? Steel? Why Pateks are mostly gold?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
A traditional dress watch would be yellow gold and white dial. I personally really like rose gold and black dial, so that's what I'd buy if I wanted a dress watch.

Err...

Mother O Perl dial... CAN?

·
Banned
5,307 Posts

Err...

Mother O Perl dial... CAN?
Yes I just saw their 2015 offerings today and they kept that hideous diamond hour markers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts