WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done everything described here. I went strap shopping, I worried that I had maybe made the wrong choice (I picked an Alpinist over a Tortoise), I read all the negative reviews about the dirt and misalignment... Watch is inbound from Hong Kong, so I have another week or so of this to go. Haha

·
Registered
150 Posts
In March, I wanted to order a Zenith A386 Manufacture Revival direct from Zenith in Switzerland, this being the only place you can get them. Their website showed none in stock and so i emailed them to see when one would be available. They responded by saying they would put one aside for me. A few weeks later, the email arrived to say they were now back in stock and i could order one. Unfortunately I had to arrange for the funds to come from an investment and was told that this could take a week or so to come through. Day after Day I kept checking my bank account and day after day, no funds arrived, I was besides myself with frustration thinking I would lose the watch.

Over the weekend, i seriously just prayed that no one on this forum would talk about Zenith watches, or even worse, show the one I was after, for fear there would be a mad rush to get this limited watch.

On the Monday, Zenith sent a further email asking if i still wanted to buy and thankfully when i said yes, they suggested i place my order and state i would pay by bank transfer rather than credit card; this would at least complete the order stage and reserve the watch. This was done and then two days later, my money showed and i rapidly did the transfer, i got an email from Zenith early next morning to say the funds had been received.

The next delay was with Customs and the fact that having an Alligator strap meant the watch would be subject to the CITES agreements. I was advised we could be talking three further weeks. So everyday, I checked the status on the Zenith site and every day it just said "in processing". Easter came and went and the message was the same. And then one morning when i was ready to start chasing the order, the postman walked down our path with a large box and I was suddenly like "is this it?". There had been no further emails to say it was finally ready to be delivered and thank god I was in to receive it.

The good news is the watch has exceeded my expectations and is beautiful and fantastic. I just don't know if I can go through another process like this one again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Always Alba Why the preference to pay by bank transfer rather than by credit card, as the latter would offer more consumer protection? The liquidation of your investments could come much later until after you receive your CC statement? Also, did you have to pay duty and VAT on importation into the UK?

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Always Alba Why the preference to pay by bank transfer rather than by credit card, as the latter would offer more consumer protection? The liquidation of your investments could come much later until after you receive your CC statement? Also, did you have to pay duty and VAT on importation into the UK?
Firstly, my credit card was not going to stretch to the amount of the watch, and with a bank transfer, they give you longer to pay ( use a credit card and they expect immediate payment whereas a bank transfer can take a few days to organise etc. That allowed for the watch to be reserved and for my investments to reach my bank account.

I agree totally that the credit card would offer much more protection but as above, I just didn't have the limit.

The watch was advertised as £7500 and that is exactly what I paid. Zenith sorted out the vat and no duty was payable. I think they basically moved it from their factory to the UK office and then sent it to me.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The wait doesn't bother me. Shipping within CONUS takes like 3 days max. If it took months of not years before one pulls the trigger, whats 3 extra days

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think of a plan to gaslight my wife in believing this new watch was always in my collection...harder then you think🧐
I used to do this with firearms (hey....they all look the same, right?). Problem is my wife may not know the difference between one rifle and another, but she does know how to count....

·
Premium Member
7,026 Posts
Waiting now......hit refresh....hit refresh....read WUS....hit refresh

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
You know what I mean. You've searched and searched and searched for THAT watch, and finally the stars aligned and you can finally hit that order button. Alas, it will not be shipping overnight, or even two or three day shipping. Weeks of waiting are in your future. You are filled with equal parts anxiety, impatience, and incipient joy that you dare not express aloud. What do you do to maintain some semblance of an even keel while your prize inches its way ever so slowly toward you?
Continue living my life as I have many other watches. I have waited as long as two years for a pair of custom boots to be made, so the wait for a watch is never an issue because being a boot collector has taught me that one of the toughest words in the language is patience.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts