WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a couple of strap for various watches. Is there any particular maker that you really like? That you really dislike? Obviously looking in terms of quality--something that has lasted years and still looks great vs a strap bought last week that looks like crap. I know the major makers Di-Modell, Hirsch, Hadley-Roma, DeBeer, Jurgens Graf --are there others to consider as well?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Depends on what you are getting and for what kind of watch.

I've had very good experiences with Di-Modell straps--they are very well-made. The Hirsch Liberty is also an excellent, thick strap for very cheap.

For anything big and dive-watch-like, you just can't beat a Delaurian. Or you can, but it will always come back for more. I love my Delaurian strap on my Seal--just wish it hadn't shrunk between the lugs from all that salt-water :-!

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Daniel-

do you have a link for Delaurian? Also a pic would be great as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sure: delaurian.com

Here are some pics of the strap. Started out untreated, virginal and very light. Now it is well-seasoned to a deep, rich brown. All I did was wear it a lot in the sun and ocean. When it got dirty I used a leather cleaner (Nikwax) and then waterproofed it (Nikwax).

What do you think? Who said leather was bad on a dive watch?

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
77 Posts
So you can wear Shane's straps in the ocean.

Shane, if you're out there, is there anything special you can do for straps intended for salt-water use?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
So you can wear Shane's straps in the ocean.

Shane, if you're out there, is there anything special you can do for straps intended for salt-water use?
Just a quick note, as I'm sure Shane will answer you directly. My Delaurian strap was completely untreated, and held up without any problem to salt water. After some wear, I simply cleaned it, and then used Nikwax. I doubt the treatment makes much difference, however, as the strap will resist the water for a little while, but always eventually gets wet.

Regardless, well-made straps hold up fine.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a water proof toscana strap from TC straps with a sewn in buckle and I like it alot (though Shane's straps do look alot better), even after showers there seems to be no water penetration so I'm guessing a dive would'nt phase it too much.B-)

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Couple of My favorite Custom straps that I wear.

8mm tapered down to a 4mm, is my all time favorite, as it gets rid of the gap between the lugs and the skin.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Nice Shane , very nice!:p |>
Regards
Robert
Couple of My favorite Custom straps that I wear.

8mm tapered down to a 4mm, is my all time favorite, as it gets rid of the gap between the lugs and the skin.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have a Delaurian masterpiece but I would like to know whether I should expose it to water. I wear my watches as tools, and want to treat the strap(s) the same way. I already have NATO straps for ultimate abuse but am curious if anyone wears a Delaurian strap under adverse conditions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Totally agree with the other guys, Shane does the best straps ever. Wearing mine on U1 or my Bathy's and it looks PERFECT :-!:-!:-!:-!:-!:-!:-!:-!.

If you are more into classical straps I would propose Jürgen's, very nice and easy to deal with....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a Delaurian masterpiece but I would like to know whether I should expose it to water. I wear my watches as tools, and want to treat the strap(s) the same way. I already have NATO straps for ultimate abuse but am curious if anyone wears a Delaurian strap under adverse conditions.

Thanks.
Uh, Scott, dude. Read my post above and look at the pictures of my Delaurian strap. It started out untreated, and got to that lovely shade of deep brown because I've used the heck out of it fishing, swimming, snorkeling, etc., in the ocean. It' been in a couple pools too. B-)

People that think leather can't be used on dive watches/under water just aren't using the right leather straps. Mine works great, and is super-comfortable. Just keep it clean--I have to wash the fish-slime and blood off mine every now and then :-!

Cheers,
Daniel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts