WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

So what's the deal with H20? How good are they? I can hardly find anything in here on them.

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  robi1138 
#1 · (Edited)
Their website for those unfamiliar. I got curious about these watches upon coming across a thread about them in the Dive Watches forum and, knowing they were German, figured there would be something in this forum about them: nope (there was one thread where someone was asking whether he should get a Steinhart or H20, most said H20, that was it).

They seem like really good value for money, especially after they switch out the Miyota movement they're currently using for an ETA movement in their Helburg CH6 line - when that happens I'm probably buying one, but I'm waiting until it does because that seems like a big improvement to me. I just think these are so damn cool looking:

And for the prices they're asking (roughly $600-1400 depending on model)? Oh hell yeah, that seems like a steal. Am I wrong? If so, why? Is there a string attached I don't know about (everything but the movement is made in Nigeria or something)?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We're pretty particular here in the German watch forum. Made In Germany reigns supreme. The fact that H2O as a product isn't German at all (much like Steinhart and Meistersinger who's only German by ownership) is why there isn't anything about them in this forum.

As far as the quality of there products goes, if I was into the aesthetics and size of there offerings, I'd have no problem spending money on one based on a stellar reputation from the crowd over on the dive watch forum.

Reactions: Nokie
#4 ·
Ok, I'm completely confused: the only thing on their website indicating where they're made is their contact address at:

H2O watch GmbH,
Neubauer Heide 23
D-27367 Sottrum
Germany

That's what led me to believe they were German. There was absolutely nothing else whatsoever that I saw on their site indicating where they're manufactured, so if that's the case (they're Swiss and not advertising it at all) that's pretty crappy and honestly makes me kind of suspicious. From what I've learned so far (new to this) "Swiss Made" in that price range generally indicates not much of it is actually made in Switzerland.

#5 ·
Why? There are plenty if Swiss Made brands with great watches in that price. 1k$ is not cheap for a Swiss watch, they typically start around $300-500. Hamilton, Tissot, Victorinox, Longines, Certina, Oris, and micro brands like Christopher Ward all have Swiss made watches in the 1k or less range. I am not fully sure if Helberg is Swiss made and I couldn't care less - what matters is how good the watch is, not where its made.

#7 ·
Head over to the Dive Watches forum and you'll get a ton of info on H2O by repeating your OP there. The fans are legion, so be prepared for the deluge. No matter where it's assembled, you're getting German engineering prowess and extraordinary attention to detail from Clemens. You may quibble with some of the design choices (and size, especially height, in the new line of Orcas), but the materials are first rate.

#8 ·
If "here" is meaning the German forum, it's because they are not German made, yet.
The plan is for that to happen in, hopefully, the near future.

Otherwise, there is a massive amounts of info on H20/Helberg on the Dive watch forum.
Many threads, some with hundreds of posts and thousands of views.
All that for good reason because they are at the top of the micro brand heap with interesting designs, well made products and great customer service.

#10 ·
Their dials also don't say "Swiss Made" on them. So are they truly Swiss or German, or are they outsourcing parts? There's so much info on the diver's forum I can't find a definitive answer. Would like to know though. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.