WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...going to make the PO without a date wheel? :think: I much prefer having no date, if at all possible.

My PO would definitely look nice without it, and there would be no more fussing around with the hands to advance the date.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I think they do OK with the Date. And I like that they pay attention to the material/colour of the date wheel and the indices. It's the little things that matter.

Reactions: lmcgbaj

·
Registered
15,879 Posts
Don't have the answer but totally agree that it would look better w/o the date function. I'm very biased, though, preferring no dates on any pieces if given a choice. Very subjective, as I know some will not purchase without a date function . . .

Reactions: ImitationOfLife

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Especially since the date mechanism on the 8500 kind of sucks (don't flame me, I bought the watch). Takes like an hour and a half to change over...just silly when you can get a $500 ETA based watch that has this all figured out.
Completely agree. Horological laziness?

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Especially since the date mechanism on the 8500 kind of sucks (don't flame me, I bought the watch). Takes like an hour and a half to change over...just silly when you can get a $500 ETA based watch that has this all figured out.
It's definitely one of the 8500's downfalls. It's a great movement and all, but it still could be better.

I keep looking at the photo of my watch. Man, that date cutout looks like a gaping hole in the dial. Must be the angle.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Don't have the answer but totally agree that it would look better w/o the date function. I'm very biased, though, preferring no dates on any pieces if given a choice. Very subjective, as I know some will not purchase without a date function . . .
Exactly the same opinion, here!

·
Registered
901 Posts
A no-date PO would indeed be a nice addition to Omega's roster! I have a minor pet peeve with watches that have a date window replacing an arabic numeral. The fact that the PO just has 6, 9 and 12, but a date window instead of a 3 is one of the few issues I have with the design of the watch. Might seem silly, but it's true. I find it hinders the symmetry, or balance of the dial, or something like that. That being said, it's a minor complaint I have about the watch, and I would still gladly add a PO with date to my collection if I had the opportunity, that's a nice piece you have there.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The more I think about it the more I want to see a no-date version as well. The PO is more of a weekend watch to me, less of a daily wearer. And to that end, why not loose the date?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It's definitely one of the 8500's downfalls. It's a great movement and all, but it still could be better.

I keep looking at the photo of my watch. Man, that date cutout looks like a gaping hole in the dial. Must be the angle.
I personally love the independent hour hand on the new PO. The watch can easily be used in different time zones without messing with the minutes hand. I love it. I agree its a pain to change the date but I unless there is a way to get both, I like it this way. It reminds me of my old 50th GMT and the Rx GMTII.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
And to the no date PO question, why not give the option. It will look better for sure. All dive watches look more balanced without a date. I do not believe people get the date because it looks cool. They need it.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'd like to see a Speedmaster without a chronograph complication. And with an added date-wheel.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Another example of inhouse hocus pocus. Terrific watch but the 2500 was just as good if not better then the 8500 practically speaking.
My comment (about the slow date change) was in response to CitizenM. Not sure what you read into that, but I made no comparison between the 2500/8500 whatsoever.

Carry on :)

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
For all my lack of love for the date mechanism in the 8500, I'd still rather have it than not, but I'm sympathetic to the people who'd like a no date. It seems like a number of my favorite brands have mediocre (Grand Seiko automatics) to poor (Omega) to outright miserable (Nomos) date mechanisms for some reason. All three of them are using contemporary movements that have been updated within the last decade, and one of them is using an entirely new one...so I have no idea why there is such an oversight. Seems like Rolex has this contest tied up with its change-at-any-time-safely and flips over instantly at nearly exactly midnight. And this stuff actually really bothers me since I work late into the night several days a week and half the date stuck half way in there looking like it's broken.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts