WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
What do you mean b this ?
I own an Omega SMP 300M with the 8500 movement, and I know exactly what he means... the date doesn't change as I think most people expect it to, so it's often behind or ahead, and one is constantly adjusting the date, which can be annoying.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I own an Omega SMP 300M with the 8500 movement, and I know exactly what he means... the date doesn't change as I think most people expect it to, so it's often behind or ahead, and one is constantly adjusting the date, which can be annoying.
Constantly adjusting the date?? I have an 8500 PO and it's once every two months and with quick hour it takes like 10 seconds to jump one day!

Or what am I missing here?

Reactions: Radharc

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
That doesn't sound right for any watch, perhaps you should get it checked out?

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
For me, I like the symmetry of the dial when it doesn't have a date aperture.
No doubt dateless is a much tidier look, but the demand is for the date version. With their most recent iteration being with the addition of GMT (OK, now, who really needs to know current time somewhere else during a dive?), I'm guessing the direction is to add complications, not simplify. Next up -- chrono, date, GMT, tourbillon. With He release, of course.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
When I was shopping for the new ceramic no date Submariner, more than one Rolex AD asked me why I would want that, since it doesn't have the "iconic" cyclops.
I wouldn't be questioning a customer ready to purchase. I'd happily make the sale.

I took a look at the no-date ceramic Sub today. Looked very, very nice. They've really grown on me and only reinforced how much I like a clean dial without a date function.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It's not really the lack of a quickset date, although that can be annoying if the watch has been dead for a couple weeks. It's that the date starts to change around 10:30 and finally switches over at midnight. Mine is quite precise with the timing, I think at 11:59, so I'm fine with that, it's more like the date window being all weird for over an hour.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
It's not really the lack of a quickset date, although that can be annoying if the watch has been dead for a couple weeks. It's that the date starts to change around 10:30 and finally switches over at midnight. Mine is quite precise with the timing, I think at 11:59, so I'm fine with that, it's more like the date window being all weird for over an hour.
Exactly.

·
Banned
4,234 Posts
Especially since the date mechanism on the 8500 kind of sucks (don't flame me, I bought the watch). Takes like an hour and a half to change over...just silly when you can get a $500 ETA based watch that has this all figured out.
Interesting, I didn't know that. On my Seastar, at 11:59.30, the date snaps nearly instantly.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know that. On my Seastar, at 11:59.30, the date snaps nearly instantly.
I believe he is referring to the fact that 8500 does not have quick date change. You have to rotate the hour hand 24h for 1 date rotation. To move it 30 days takes a bit.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Well I love my PO and the fact of the date wheel is all good with me. Thankfully it doesn't have the ghastly cyclops so all in all I find it overall well balanced for me. The photoshop of the PO looks ok but I prefer the date version.

My PO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372589068.017826.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
I believe he is referring to the fact that 8500 does not have quick date change. You have to rotate the hour hand 24h for 1 date rotation. To move it 30 days takes a bit.
I did not know that.
You never have to move it 30 days. The date change works forwards and backwards -- going from 1 to 31 is 1 day, not 30, and so on. You can also change the date anytime you want, there is no "danger period" as there is with some movements.

I think 1/2 the people in this thread are talking about how to change the date manually, and the other half (and the OP) are talking about when the date changes itself in normal operation.

·
Banned
4,234 Posts
You never have to move it 30 days. The date change works forwards and backwards -- going from 1 to 31 is 1 day, not 30, and so on. You can also change the date anytime you want, there is no "danger period" as there is with some movements.

I think 1/2 the people in this thread are talking about how to change the date manually, and the other half (and the OP) are talking about when the date changes itself in normal operation.
Good information you have there. At least we are all learning something.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts