WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which is your favorite

• Complications are great. The reason I love watches.

Votes: 49 70.0%
  • Busy watches tire my eyes me make me want to quit watches.

Votes: 21 30.0%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In reading a lot of threads on this board I find myself surprised at the number of Posters that dislike many functions and busy watch faces.

Aren't complications what excite us about these little machines?

Dislike for Chrono's I see a lot.
Dislike for Date windows.
Dislike for anything but the simple it seems the majority on this board appreciate.

Why don 't you like these functions?

For me the complications are what make the watch.
Perpetual Calendar
Annual Calendar
chrono's
chrono's with date month day

think about what goes into this. The makers are amazing.
Here is an ok example in my book.

Too busy for some. The prettiest piece I've ever seen in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I like to read the time easily. I like a functional watch as well, especially perpetual calendar.

Unfortunately mechanical perpetuals are not only very expensive, but also cumbersome to set, which gets worse considering the PR of a few days.

I like the atomic setting and syncing, solar charging, world perpetual chronographs available by Citizen and Casio. Well designed ones do all these with only two subdials and a date window:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/oceanus-manta-ocw-s2000p-smart-access-video-review-763684.html

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to read the time easily. I like a functional watch as well, especially perpetual calendar.

Unfortunately mechanical perpetuals are not only very expensive, but also cumbersome to set, which gets worse considering the PR of a few days.

I like the atomic setting and syncing, solar charging, world perpetual chronographs available by Citizen and Casio. Well designed ones do all these with only two subdials and a date window:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/oceanus-manta-ocw-s2000p-smart-access-video-review-763684.html
I get the Time visibility. I have a Jaeger Perp that is tough to read time.
Thats a good review of the Oceanus.

Many Perps have clickers to set. It's not that tough. Some are hard.

·
Registered
15,463 Posts
Interesting, as I think most prefer complications, unlike me. I'm thankful that I fall to the simple side, though, as it has saved me a lot of $ I'm thinking. For example, while I'm sure that Patek is certainly a fine example of horological genius, it wouldn't be worn if it were mine. And so I would never purchase it. I love a lot of "brands" but the further away their models move from basic, time only hand wounds, the further away my pocket book moves. Dunno why that is save for individual tastes and subjective perceptions. And thank goodness there is something to satisfy us all . . . .

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
It really depends on the legibility of the dial, this Zenith Triple Date - Moonphase - Chrono is sweet. So is that Patek (insane price aside!). I like complications that are nicely executed.

But you can make a mess of the dial, with or without complications (Invicta!).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, as I think most prefer complications, unlike me. I'm thankful that I fall to the simple side, though, as it has saved me a lot of $ I'm thinking. For example, while I'm sure that Patek is certainly a fine example of horological genius, it wouldn't be worn if it were mine. And so I would never purchase it. I love a lot of "brands" but the further away their models move from basic, time only hand wounds, the further away my pocket book moves. Dunno why that is save for individual tastes and subjective perceptions. And thank goodness there is something to satisfy us all . . . .
You are definitely not alone. Many here are alike. It's just hard for me to understand as these little machines full of energy and imagination blow my mind. The more the better.

I don't fault the simple side. I agree. There is someone for every watch. Well most every watch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to love subdials and a gazillion hands, but I'm moving towards just one thing: time. Correct, accurate time reading. I don't need to know the day of the week or the month. The day of the month is fine, but legible please though I prefer small date windows over larger ones. There's nothing wrong with simplicity. It just has to be executed well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Complications are, to me, one of the greatest things about watches and I rarely find myself looking at a watch now unless there is a complication.

Some watches though, such as the H Moser Monard are beautiful pieces that do nothing but tell the time.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I like both busy dials and simple dials.
My next purchase will be a Breitling 1461, which is an extremely busy watch but I also have some simple watches with almost no complications like a Calatrava and a luminor.

My dream watch would have to be a minute repeater so I guess I am firmly among the complication advocate group.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I love complications too, particularly chronographs. It's about the look as I rarely use the function. And the Chronomaster Moonphase above is my grail. Love that watch, including its busy dial :)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I like all kinds. I've got 6 complications and 8 simple. I look at many watches and I just don't "feel" it.
Then I will see a watch and I want it. I don't sit down and analyze why,maybe I should, I just like
some and dislike others.

Reactions: Watermark

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,588 Posts
I think there is a big difference between what I like and think is cool verses what I'll wear to tell time and date. In the first category I think the unique opus that Harry Winston makes for Basel each year are some of the coolest things I've seen. Add some of the cool things Tag has done lately and the many other super complex watches out there and they are very entertaining to look at. Put it on my wrist and make me have to tell time with it or have it need to endure and average day of activities which may include getting wet and all the cool things go away. I have mostly high end functional watches because that is what i need. Now usable day to day things like the new micro adjust clasp that JLC announced (suppose to have over 100 parts), Rolex's glide lock, GO push button clasp logo for micro adjust, luminous ceramic bezels, GTLS tubes, big dates, and even alarm watches are things I can use daily while having a easy to read watch. While some may not be seen as watch complications I think when you view the watch as a whole these complications make the watch more usable than say a moon phase.

There are a few complications I've come to like . I like to keep GMT hand set as a 24 hour indicator ( or like the Gen I Ball Night Train 24 hour UMT window) so I can set the watch faster from the box know which 12 segment it is in. These also make the watch into an ease to use compass. I've also come to really like the second hand zero on my GO Senator Navigator Pano date that with a push of the button allows the movement to be zeroed to sync with atomic clock. Complication like multiple barrels that extend reserve times are great. Spring drive that makes a mechanical watch as accurate as quartz and gives a smooth second hand sweep is a really cool complication. Complication that make watches more resistant to shock, magnetism or water are fantastic (I realize some are case or movement holders, but others are complications or movement parts improvements). Additionally complications like Omegas coaxial escapement along with coatings and other movement refinements that double the time between service periods are really cool. Some of the best complications can't be seen on the face of the watch!

Reactions: Watermark

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I voted that busy watches tire my eyes, but could have easily voted for both options. I do like complicated watches that are well laid out. However some seem to jam a lot on the dial with little thought for balance.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I dislike anything but basic 3handers. But then again most of my collection pieces are divers so it makes sense. I had a few chronos and non moving chrono hand would drive me nuts. I had to sell them all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love pretty much all complications. What I don't like are superfluous add ons like excessive water resistance, date cyclops, helium escape valves, gigantic crown guards... yeah that's about it.

I'm not a fan of power reserves but I don't dislike them. I just generally don't care for them. But everything else, sure, as long as it is executed well and not a jumbled mess.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts