WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the north where the only light my watch would get during 5 months of winter is flourescent during the day and some incandescent at night. Will this be sufficient if I go the Solar watch route?

Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If that's all you got, it'll have to do. The sun, even when overcast, is by far the best.
Personally, I'd take advantage of the midnight sun in the summer and get it fully charged. It should last long enough through the winter depending on your usage (alarms, chimes, auto EL, PS off etc. ).

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yeah, I thinkn you should do just fine. Check the specs on your watch... most modern solar G-Shocks can go 10 months from a full charge, so as long as you're topped off on "H" (high) by the end of the 5th month stretch, you should easily make it through the other 7 months of mostly dark. Ambient light from the room you're in at work can do a fine job of charging up most of what was spent running your watch for a full day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Most the solar casios in our store have no clue what natural light is. They are almost all fully charged. Atomic signal is another matter ;)

G

·
My GW2310 was in total darkness for 4 months before it arrived. (It was in its can on a store shelf.) It was at "M" power level after that time. A half-day on a sunny windowsill fully charged it.

As an aside, it gained a bit less than 7 seconds per month during that time.

I plagiarized this from my GW2310's manual.
Solar_Power.PNG
It tells me you can find enough light to keep your solar G-Shock alive and happy year round.

You can download the manuals for the watches you are planning to buy on Casio's website. They are in PDF format. (That's where I got that one.) They will have (or should have) the same solar charging information specifically for the ones you are interested in.

Be sure and send us updates on your progress and photographs when you take the plunge!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Atomic signal is another matter"......... what do you mean here? Can you explain? Thank you.

And thank you to the rest as well for posting great answers to my question.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Atomic signal is another matter"......... what do you mean here? Can you explain? Thank you.

And thank you to the rest as well for posting great answers to my question.
Inside a big store it's hard to impossible for the atomic watches to receive the calibration signal. Last time one watch received was october last year. It hadn't reached the store by then.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
"Most the solar casios in our store have no clue what natural light is."

If they're in a retail store environment, the watches in the jewelry counter (or in the stockroom) are probably NOT near a window, they probably ARE surrounded by metal cases and thick walls and lots of electrical wiring, and the watches which are not on display probably ARE still inside their little G Shock tins -- all of which means that any of those watches which are solar/atomics are not getting the best possible radio reception each night to synchronize with the atomic clock (if they're even set on the right "home city.")

(When the watches first come out of their individual boxes, I imagine they're on "High" charge level, in "Power Saving Mode" and the last "Received Date" is a couple of weeks or months in the past.)

I'm not sure how far in "the north" the OP is, but where I am is close enough to "five months of winter" since I don't spend much time outdoors with my solar G's. (If I am outside when it's cold, my watch is usually under a jacket sleeve anyhow.) A couple of my solar G's dropped to "Medium" charge over the winter, so I put them on a south-facing windowsill on an infrequent sunny day back in December or January -- they bounced back to "High" and have stayed there since. Now that spring is (almost?) here they'll get plenty of sunshine for the next several months.

·
Banned
473 Posts
I'm in the UK, and have previously had my solar G drop to a very low charge during winter/autumn months. I eventually realised that the key to lasting out the dark months with ease was to turn the auto EL feature off.

With auto EL turned off you will have no problem at all, as the power required to run everything other than the light is comparatively low.

Cheers,
Ash

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi,
I have a question:
Can one turn off the automatic atomic reception on analog aviators (3000, 4000, a1000)?
Thanks and sorry for being lazy to look at the manuals!

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Good suggestion.

I'm in the UK, and have previously had my solar G drop to a very low charge during winter/autumn months. I eventually realised that the key to lasting out the dark months with ease was to turn the auto EL feature off.

With auto EL turned off you will have no problem at all, as the power required to run everything other than the light is comparatively low.

Cheers,
Ash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts