WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Seiko solar in the drawer for several years or more. Can't remember how it worked when it was new. After being in room light, it has started to tick but the second hand jumps 2 seconds at a time. Actually, the second hand quickly moves to the next second, then quickly moves to the next second. then waits 2 seconds to do that movement again.

Is this normal? Does the power storage just need to be more charged up?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm new to Seiko Solar but it sounds like yours isn't fully charged. You might want to try placing it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours and see if it fully charges.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jumping by 2 seconds is due to undercharge condition. When my solar watches were new I sat them under a desk lamp overnight, since then casual wear in the sun or at my desk keeps them charged up. If the watch is close to 10 years old, the battery may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yup, the two-second tick is the battery end-of-life indicator feature on most modern solar-powered movements. Older Seiko solar movements just run slow then die.

·
Premium Member
68,221 Posts
This is the low power indicator that you are seeing. Because the watch has been stuck in a drawer for so long put it on a windowsill for several weeks and see how you go on with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts