WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first message here, so please forgive me if I'm not posting in the correct category.

I have a one year old Seiko Solar watch. I had no problems with it until recently when it started stopping.

When it does stop, I didn't notice it skipping a second, it just stops. Then it either starts again by itself or I would have to push the crown to start again.

I left it for 2 hours in strong sun yesterday and today it was 1h behind.

What should I do?

Thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
probably needs a battery change, rechargeable batteries do need replacement after a certain time.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
My partner's Citizen Eco-Drive started to either stop or ran slow recently. I left that watch under bright indoor light for hours, and that seemed to have solved the problem. Maybe try leaving the watch in front of bright light for longer (e.g. one day, two days, etc.) and see if that fixes it. If not, a rechargeable battery replacement at a local watch store that has a watchmaker might fix it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It is either an insufficient charge or it needs a repair. Leave the watch in strong light for at least 6 hours. If you try to set it before it is properly charged it will stop. Be careful not to overheat the watch while charging. If this does not work it may need servicing. If the second hand stops at 45 seconds it is in powersave mode and it will start to shut down functions like ticking on every second. I have never had issues with any of mine losing time regardless of battery strength, which may be an indicator that it needs to be repaired...

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
After only one year I doubt if the "battery" has already given up the ghost. I have read other stories about problems with Seiko solar watches. If still under warranty then send it in.
On a side note,I have an old Citizen Solar Tech,which is what the early eco drives were called-probably 20+ years-that hasn't missed a beat and all I do is keep it near a window.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought it a year ago, I never really charged it. It already came charged, maybe the seller did, I don't know. 9 months it worked great. When winter started, the watch started having problems. I am in an apartment facing north with a huge building in front of me, I only get like 2 hours of sun late afternoon...
Should I charge it running with crown pushed in or pull the crown?

·
Registered
660 Posts
It sounds like it’s not getting sufficiently charged. Try placing it under a strong lit desktop lamp for about 12 hours. As regards pulling the crown, it really makes no odds.
All my solar powered G-Shocks and Citizen eco drives take a hit in the winter and drop power levels, probably due to lack of strong light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
76,522 Posts
One of my Seiko solars just stopped one day - no 2 second jump or anything it just stopped. A damn good sunbathe on the windowsill for a few days sorted it and it’s behaved itself ever since (several years).

·
Premium Member
21,470 Posts
Here's an old table from a Seiko manual that should give you an idea of how much time at each charging level is required to recharge your watch.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had a Seiko solar chrono that stopped after a year or so. Never was able to revive that one.

However, as others have mentioned a long sunbath is certainly recommended.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My Seiko Solar had a stopping problem too. I sent it in to Seiko and they fixed it but it cost me - $140 if I remember correctly. Works fine now but the magic is gone for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I left the watch near the window for few days, getting sunlight about 2-3 hours daily. At night I would put it under a lamp. Today it was an hour behind again. Should I spend $20 to get a new battery and $15-20 to have it replaced? Or just forget about it since this watch is used condition is not really worth more than $50?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I left the watch near the window for few days, getting sunlight about 2-3 hours daily. At night I would put it under a lamp. Today it was an hour behind again. Should I spend $20 to get a new battery and $15-20 to have it replaced? Or just forget about it since this watch is used condition is not really worth more than $50?
Depends on if you like the watch enough to spend ~$40 to replace the rechargeable battery? When I needed a rechargeable battery replacement, I went to a local watch store with a watchmaker, he had rechargeable battery in-store, and replaced it for me. I didn't need to buy a rechargeable battery myself, he did it all for me for ~$40.

Looking back, you mentioned the seconds hand did not move at 2-second intervals, so there is the possibility that the battery not holding a charge is not the problem, and maybe something is wrong with the movement? There is the possibility that the movement needs replacing. The watchmaker should be able to diagnose the problem and give pricing for movement replacement if that's needed.

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
Or the charge system itself isn't doing well.

I'd want to take it to someone who was pretty darn familiar with these, but I suspect it'll be cheaper and easier to just replace it. You did say you bought it used.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Agreed, it sounds like it's not getting enough sunlight. Two hours of what passes for "bright" sunlight in early Spring probably isn't enough to cure the problem.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
25,392 Posts
I have a one year old Seiko Solar watch.
If it's still under warranty, I'd send it in. Leaving it by the window, plus under a lamp, for a few days should've been enough to get it moving correctly.

Strange that it gets an hour behind, too. When it's behind, is it always exactly an hour?

FWIW, my Eco-Drive Citizen first showed its low battery warning (two-second skips of the seconds hand) deep into the winter after I had been wearing it under long-sleeve shirts and coats for a few months. Leaving it by the window for a day (maybe eight hours of west-facing, tree-shaded daylight) and/or leaving it next to a lamp for 24 hours topped it up, though.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
If it's still under warranty, I'd send it in. Leaving it by the window, plus under a lamp, for a few days should've been enough to get it moving correctly.

Strange that it gets an hour behind, too. When it's behind, is it always exactly an hour?
This was my thought? is it an hour behind but still ticking?
Is this an atomic watch? maybe having a DST issue?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
25,392 Posts
This was my thought? is it an hour behind but still ticking?
Is this an atomic watch? maybe having a DST issue?
Ah, good catch.

Solarguy, is this the case for yours? Does it say "radio controlled" or something? What model is it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts