WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does the fact that a G is solar affect your buying decision?

• Only solar for me! Won't buy a G if it's not solar

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No solar for me! Will buy a G only if it's not solar.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Doesn't matter. If I like the model, I buy it.

Votes: 30 46.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to give you some background...I love Casio G-shocks. I don't own as many as some on this site, but still quite few, 8 at last count. Out of those 8, 3 are solar. 2 of my solar G's have gone dead. The battery/capacitor went from high on a full charge to medium to low to dead. The third solar G is in the same process of dying. Am I just unlucky. Has anyone hear had the same experience? I original bought solar G's because I didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing batteries every few years. Given the solar G's track record, I WILL have to replace the batteries every few years after all. What has been everyone's experience? Thanks for your feedback and for listening to my rant!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I care the viewing angle very much and so far the only gs I have seen being superb in this respect are cr2032 powered models. But with the fear of changing battery (i know it is a simple job) I do not squeeze the watch like turning hourly chime on like I do on a solar model. Also I like the atomic feature but it seems only available on solar models. On the other hand I am constantly hearing user complains about dying solar models like your experience :-(. Hard to decide.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I original bought solar G's because I didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing batteries every few years. Given the solar G's track record, I WILL have to replace the batteries every few years after all. What has been everyone's experience?
Which solar models do you have where the batteries have died? From everything I've read on this forum in the past couple of years, Casio apparently had some problems with their earliest solars and the (apparently) defective batteries they installed that died in just a few years.

Since then, they've apparently fixed those problems, and the second and third generation solars should easily outlast regular batteries.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I buy both, but it seems I have a thing about always leaving my solar powered watches in the window or under a halogen lamp to charge and usually end up wearing a non-solar G. :-s

None of them have ever left the High mark and I've never had to change a battery on any of my watches.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Indeed. It would be nice to know which models/modules are the ones that doesnt work like they should.
Add my request to the others. I have three GW-300's, which may be among those that had problems, but all of mine work fine. They also show current time in stopwatch mode, which I wish more G's did.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The two that have died are:

GW-056A (module 3016)
GW-9200 (module 3147) This my beloved Riseman!!!

The one that is dying is:

GW-M5600BC (module 3063)

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
In the poll I took the 3rd choice as most voters have but need to say that it DOES matter, it matters a lot, I prefer solar, but non-solar is not necessarily a deal breaker, just a strike against.

Most of my Gs are solar, but I have 2 GD-350 incoming non-solar and 4 G-9000 Mudman as well.

Of the 60 or so Casios I own, only one Protrek has had a battery die. All others, solar and non-solar are ticking away on their original battery.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

GW-056A (module 3016)

GW-M5600BC (module 3063)
I don't know much about the GW-056A, but I thought that at least the Riseman was a new enough model that there shouldn't be problems with the battery.

As it dropped to "M" and "L," how long were you recharging it, and with what sort of light?

According to the manual, to get from "L" all the way back to "fully charged" would take 18 hours of direct sunlight, or 88 hours of sunlight through a window, or 177 hours of cloudy daylight through a window.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps I abuse my batteries too much. I wear my G's 24/7. Who knows how many times a night the auto backlight goes on when I move my arm. :)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Perhaps I abuse my batteries too much. I wear my G's 24/7. Who knows how many times a night the auto backlight goes on when I move my arm. :)
Auto EL while slepping is the fastest way to completely drain a battery. Been there, done that.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nothing but solar for me -- gives me that peace of mind without having to worry about replacing batteries. I want a watch that just lives, lol.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Unless you spend a LOT of time outside, I don't think you should give up on the dying ones just yet -- park them outside or on a bright windowsill for a week straight and see how they're doing after that!

...and maybe consider turning "Auto EL" off after they're fully charged up. ;-)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I prefer CR battery powered G's (all watches and brands actually) by a mile over solar, but I prefer solar watches by a mile over watches with silver-oxide batts.

cheers

·
Registered
478 Posts
My first quartz was a Seiko dive watch whose sudden failure under water provided surprising and unwelcome excitement on a dive off Australia in the 1980's. After that, I stayed with Rolex mechanicals until Eco-Drives and Solars appeared. A few models are practical and trustworthy for athletic and wilderness activities. Many more otherwise interesting solars are useless because they do not display current time in stopwatch mode. When it arrives, a GD-350 will be one of my very few non-solars, chosen for its vibe alarm and the reassurance of a large battery with a low-power indicator. This is very much an experiment, whose results will be evaluated carefully and critically.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts

GW-056A (module 3016)

GW-M5600BC (module 3063)

These are newer models and I don't remember any complaints about them.

Having the auto EL working all the time will drain the battery if you are wearing sleeves or wear it in bed. They then take a very long time to charge back up if you can't leave them outside in the sun. Give them plenty of light and I think they will recover all right.

Mitch

·
Sinn Moderator
9,697 Posts
I'm sorry that you have had problems with your solar G's. I will only buy solar/atomic and have been very pleased with them. I'd down to 5 G's now, but feel sure that 1 or 2 will come my way this coming year. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I would prefer to have solar if avaliable, but if a certain doesn't have solar, that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

GD-350 or GDX-6900 are good examples. If these two models were offered with both solar and non-solar I would get solar.

I still like non-solars, mostly vintages that is :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts