WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get my first g shock. so far ive narrrowed it down to 2 kinds. the dw6900cc and gx56. im a a little nervous abt the solar function of the gx56. does it have to be charged everyday? is nonsolar better than solar?

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Well it really depends, and highly on personal preference. With current technology, non-solar Gs can last up to 10 years without changing batteries. Solar models, on the other hand, don't need battery changes and most models can go 6-8 months without any sunlight (under normal operating conditions). They also usually need about 5 minutes of direct sunlight (or equivalent) to maintain normal everyday use.

So, what exactly about the solar models makes you nervous?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it really depends, and highly on personal preference. With current technology, non-solar Gs can last up to 10 years without changing batteries. Solar models, on the other hand, don't need battery changes and most models can go 6-8 months without any sunlight (under normal operating conditions). They also usually need about 5 minutes of direct sunlight (or equivalent) to maintain normal everyday use.

So, what exactly about the solar models makes you nervous?
really its just i dont like knowing i have to charge my watch. i love the gx56 though. i think im going with that form what ive heard. i wanted a watch that i could just go about my day wearing and not have to worry about charging it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
really its just i dont like knowing i have to charge my watch. i love the gx56 though. i think im going with that form what ive heard. i wanted a watch that i could just go about my day wearing and not have to worry about charging it.

Unless you live in a cave, it is a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
it really depends on how meticulous (anal retentive) you are. if you're the kind of person to freak out when you see the battery level at "M", it might be best to go with a standard battery G. If you think you can manage with the alleged "imperfections" and have enough trust in the technology, then go with the solar.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I take my solar out of the drawer about once a week and wear it, often for less than a full day. It's never shown less than full charge. I was a bit hesitant to get a solar, too, but it hasn't been any problem at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are probably going to get all sorts of opinions on this subject. Some folks like the idea of solar, some do not. As BenL said, there are some models that will run close to a decade without a battery change, so you can go a long time between batteries with the right watch. Personally I'm a fan of the solar watches. Both my G-Shocks are from the Solar/Atomic variety and I really like that combination.

As to your concern, unless you are really into avoiding the sun, you probably won't need to ever "charge" your watch; just wearing it while you are out during the day will probably suffice to keep it going all year long. I have never actually charged one on purpose, other than keeping the one I don't wear in a window sill just to keep the battery topped off. The one I'm wearing never leaves my wrist and I can say that my good old GW500 spent several years on my wrist without ever needing any additional charging. I can't really say much about my current everyday watch yet since I've only had a few weeks, but I wouldn't expect to have to charge it either.

I'd say just get whichever one you like the most and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have no problem with the solar tech itself. My beef is the restrictions of the features due to the watch being solar. It's like a gasoline powered engine vs hybrid/electric. with gas engines, you get more output but at the cost of the mileage. hybrids/electric, more mileage but not as powerful or fast as the old traditional method.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I own 3 solar powered G Shocks and I have never needed to go out of my way to charge them. In fact I can't remember any of the battery charge indicators being anything less than full. They also have pretty cool power saving modes, if they are in the dark for an extended period the display will turn off but time keeping and alarms etc will not be effected.

Really the charging aspect is a non issue.

You don't have to worry about replacing the battery, Solar is the way to go.

Just pray we don't end up in a Blade Runner scenario!

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
If you are going to get a beater then solar is nice. But like others have said before me, if you are buying watches that you aren't going to wear (i.e to be in a collection, sitting in a drawer or cupboard) then sometimes the solar technology can be a hassle. You just never know if the solar cells will be damaged from prolonged stay in a place where there is no sunlight. But my solar watches have never given me any trouble thus far.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Just pray we don't end up in a Blade Runner scenario!
don't really need to worry about that either. they can still charge with artificial light, just not as fast. I've seen the solar watches on display in retail shops, they're always indoors, yet always on full.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
This topic has been discussed to death in the past and the conclusion is always the same: some prefer Solar watches, others not (like me). For me there is simply no reason to have a solar powered watch if, the alternative is a long life, high-capacity CR2025 Lithium powered watch (the biggest cell Casio uses). Solar is always a nice alternative to watches running on those tiny silver-oxide button cells, which usually do not last very long and - biggest hassle - die fast, often without any sign or hint of weakness (this won't happen with a Lithium).

My personal experience with Solar is not the best, two of my watches died, to date I still don't know why - but in the end it doesn't matter, because I made my choice and live very happy and - most important - evidentiary with my non-solars (still I do have 6 solar powered ones, running perfectly though)

cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have no problem with the solar tech itself. My beef is the restrictions of the features due to the watch being solar. It's like a gasoline powered engine vs hybrid/electric. with gas engines, you get more output but at the cost of the mileage. hybrids/electric, more mileage but not as powerful or fast as the old traditional method.
What do mean feature restrictions? The riseman,GW/G6900's GW7900 are all packed with features way better than a DW6900.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
What do mean feature restrictions? The riseman,GW/G6900's GW7900 are all packed with features way better than a DW6900.
they're all missing the repeating CDT. DW6900's EL can last for as long as I want it to as long as I keep the button depressed. Riseman's EL lasts for only a second and a half. G6900's and GW7900's EL duration is better at 3 seconds, but none of them are as bright as the DW's EL.

I'm not really concerned with the 50+ different timezones or auto EL

edit: And also the alarms. I almost forgot about that. On the DW6900, the alarm beeping lasts for 20 seconds. on any solar G, the alarms are audibly weaker and they last for only 10 seconds

this is all due to the weaker output of the solar batteries. they have to repress the features so it won't overstrain the cells.

edit2: I just remembered again. CDT on the DW6900 can be set by the seconds. All modern Gs, whether solar or non-solar, only by the hours and minutes could be set. you can't set the seconds for some silly reason.

·
Registered
738 Posts
just decide which watch you like the best and go for it, solar or not. I've found that when I buy a watch, or don't buy one, for specific functions or lack of I usually regret it in the end.

·
Registered
273 Posts
they're all missing the repeating CDT. DW6900's EL can last for as long as I want it to as long as I keep the button depressed. Riseman's EL lasts for only a second and a half. G6900's and GW7900's EL duration is better at 3 seconds, but none of them are as bright as the DW's EL.

I'm not really concerned with the 50+ different timezones or auto EL

edit: And also the alarms. I almost forgot about that. On the DW6900, the alarm beeping lasts for 20 seconds. on any solar G, the alarms are audibly weaker and they last for only 10 seconds

this is all due to the weaker output of the solar batteries. they have to repress the features so it won't overstrain the cells.

edit2: I just remembered again. CDT on the DW6900 can be set by the seconds. All modern Gs, whether solar or non-solar, only by the hours and minutes could be set. you can't set the seconds for some silly reason.
Right no repeat timer but the are 24h timers.EL brightness looks to be about the same to me on positive display lcd's and full auto backlight is better only coming on in low light not every time you tilt your wrist.I usually turn the alarms off with in 5sec but agree that decibel levels seem lower and beeps are slower.Some other models that have sec increments in the timer are GD100,G7710 but not solar.I have solar and non solar models and like both.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have both as well, but the more used watches are the nonsolars because their features fit better with my training. I don't use auto EL. I figured since I'm holding my wrist up, it's no big deal to also press the face button. Auto EL doesn't seem to work 100% of the time for me, either. It also has a lag and I don't like waiting for it to activate. So I just do it manually because I'd much rather have the job done right and only the first try.

But when it comes to just a time telling watch and nothing more, solars are top notch. features-wise, they're repressed compared to better options

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.